Is this the most shine I'll get with clearcoated 5 spokes?

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Posted this on RT/10 forum also but maybe it's better here. Just bought a real nice, clean set of 17" 5 spoke stock aluminum wheels I've been wanting for 2 years from another member. They are rash free and very clean with the caps. I excitedly tried some Mothers Aluminum polish on one of them and the rag didn't turn black as I polished so they must be clearcoated. I don't want to go through all the stripping processes I read about but I am wondering if there is a recommended clearcoat wheel polish that might give me any more shine. I know they won't look like the chrome 3 spokes I have on my car now but is there a trick for a real great shine other than tire dressing the tires jet black. Not into that. I've read all the threads from years ago on polishing aluminum wheels clear and raw but just wondering if there is any new technology I hadn't heard about out there yet.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you have found, they are clear coated just like the paint on the car. Therefore, you can use the same polish/wax you prefer to use on the car to shine up the wheels as well.

Some of the factory polishing was not "perfect" per say. There could be some cloudiness particularly in the grooves and intricate areas of the wheel. The only way to correct this is to strip the clear coat, re-polish, and re-clear if desired. Or, if you want them really shiny, you can send them to Cal-Chrome like many have done here.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bingo. There is no secret to making clear coated wheels shine, you polish them just as you polish paint. No difference and you protect them with wax just as you would paint. If you excel at polishing, you can make them look damn good.

OP
OP
V

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. If the Junkman doesn't have any tricks then I think I'm just going to keep using my Adams stuff on them. They look new but I like a great shine. Thanks again!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only polish out of what you already have that you should use is the Fine Machine Polish, especially if they already look good and are not scratched up. There is no need to use anything more aggressive if that is the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss