Is this true?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that in NH you dont pay any registration taxes on used vehicles!! All you have to do is prove residency which I would think is not too hard to do:dunno: Can anyone confirm this? If true, guess where I will be looking to register my car :D

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New Hampshire does not have a state sales tax...they do not have a state income tax either.....there are registration fees for vehicles though.....

Last edited:

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two ways to go if you want to avoid the front plate issue, and lower your registration cost. FL or MT.
If you have the title in your name, and can use a parents address in FL then you can register a car without paying taxes for about $250-300 for the first year, then $80 there after. Also no inspection sticker. You do have to insure your car in FL.

MT is another story. You have two ways of registering a car there. One is better than the other if you ask me. One requires that you sign the car over to a lawyer who takes care of it. The other is to start a business in MT and have the business register the car. You might notice a lot of motor homes registered in MT because the low cost.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I now have more options to consider. I wonder if this will raise any flags with my insurance co?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I looked into registering a car in Florida the registration fee was astronomical. I paid 4% value for Virginia and I read FL was somewhere in the 7 to 10% one time fee since they do not have personal property tax on cars.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll call the florida dmv and find out what it is.. I cant imagine it being that high, but what do I know...

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said the best way to do it is after you have a title in your name. In NH we don't pay a sales tax so I saved a bunch and continue to do so since this is my FL car. NH registration is a lot more than FL.

If you live in a state that taxes you then I recommend MT.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If you move to Fla and already own your car that is titled in another state you can register it in Fla with no tax--just a new title,plate, and new registration fee. If you live here and buy a new or used car the tax is roughly about 5%--there is a sliding scale scale depending on county. There is no annual inspection .

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you move to Fla and already own your car that is titled in another state you can register it in Fla with no tax--just a new title,plate, and new registration fee. If you live here and buy a new or used car the tax is roughly about 5%--there is a sliding scale scale depending on county. There is no annual inspection .

Very true, but if you are registering the car for the first time you do have to pay a sales tax depending on the county. So FL is out for me. Working on NH still ;)

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to prove you live here in NH and have a NH drivers license. It is an issue the state runs into all the time with surrounding states. Some people have a second home in NH and all they do is change their drivers licenses. The surrounding states responded by passing laws to prevent this.

In your case I think Montana is your best choice.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will have to prove you live here in NH and have a NH drivers license. It is an issue the state runs into all the time with surrounding states. Some people have a second home in NH and all they do is change their drivers licenses. The surrounding states responded by passing laws to prevent this.

In your case I think Montana is your best choice.

I called and spoke to someone in town hall and all you need to do is prove residency with a phone bill or lease. You are allowed to have a different state's driving license. Sounded too easy to be true!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave