Just Got Back From VIR

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAN!!! There are some SERIOUS $$ being spent by these Viper Days guys!
The PVO Comp Coup was awsome. Archer was there with a load of Comp Coups too.
Met a heck of a nice guy that works for DC in Auburn Hills, was there in his GTS (only his second race in the Viper, just got out of the Neon racing league). He had some bad luck as he blew a rear side axle seal, Archer had one and he just started to work on it when I had to leave. Had a pair of Vipers that were painted ala Corvette C5R (yellow/white, yellow/black) that were a pair of really clean race cars. And I thought flying and boat racing is expensive!
I got there around 8 this morning, and Archer did some PM work for me. VERY clean, competent, and a great bunch of technicians! It was worth the drive just to get the work done.
Enjoyed the great weather (HOT but no rain!). Hope to be a participant next year!
Hope all that are there Saturday and Sunday have great weather and safe racing!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the ViperDays events. $$$ has kept me from going to any this year but next year will be a 3 event season for me at least.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, you don't have to have a lot of money to compete in the Challenge Series. Just bring your street car (with a hard top if it's an RT-10) and put it on the track. Most events are less than $700 for the weekend and that includes 2 lunches and a dinner. It's so much fun.

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm jealous. I soooo wanted to go.

Got my Viper in June and just couldn't get my ducks in a row fast enough.

Chuck 98 RT/10's post reads that Viper Days is annual... are these regionally sponsored (and hence held accross the country more frequently) or is this it until next year?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperDays runs about 12 events each year West/East. Unfortunately they are all more than a day's drive for me which requires time off work. If there was one within 8 hours I'd be there.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The event was awesome. Skip/Courtney/Tracey and the team insured everyone had a great time.

They fielded 15 Comp Coupes!!! Largest field ever. There were no major incidents to speak of and everyone went home happy.

Challenge series drivers were great and the VRL (CC, GT-1, GT-2) put 28 cars in the grid!! a HUGE racegroup.

It was awesome (didn't I already say that?!)

Putnam Park coming up.... plan ahead!!

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather was great. We had light sprinkles before the race on Sunday, but it was not even enough to cool things off.

We were expecting 40% showers Saturday and Sunday but they held off.

I'm convinced ViperDays has made a deal with the weatherman as SCCA events seems to get a lot of rain!

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They fielded 15 Comp Coupes!!! Largest field ever. There were no major incidents to speak of and everyone went home happy.

Challenge series drivers were great and the VRL (CC, GT-1, GT-2) put 28 cars in the grid!! a HUGE racegroup.

Jeff did you race or wimp out and participate in the Challenge series? I don't want to wait for the website results. How about that SRT Neon did he do a 2.12? :rolleyes:

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only those who didn't show up wimped out!! Where were YOU?! hmmm.

I ran GT-2 in the race group and although both races were exciting was bested by Jesse Reed in his firetruck... er 01 GTS.

In the Saturday race I spun at the top of the roller coaster in oil from a blown motor and got passed. On Sunday I went off at one to avoide hitting a CC that was braking way late and turning in way late - of course he made the corner and I didn't!

It was some of the most fun I've had behind the wheel. You can't beat the quality of people at ViperDays.

I didn't see much of the Neons as of course they were in different groups. I think they got their testing wrapped up early because they left Sunday morning. I didn't think an SRT4 could do a 2:12 there. That would be reallllly fast.

Mumford won both races and qualified on Sunday with simething like a 1:565! There were 4-5 qualified under 2 minutes.

Anyway, missed seeing you.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the neon broke, we blew a cv boot on friday, there was only ! in the country, PVO got us one. we repaired saturday AM & got back on track. We installed the stage 1 computer . but we were getting intermittant cut out with the boost, so we never got a lap with full boost. Boost should be 15 lbs & we were getting 5 lbs coming out of oak tree, & onto the front straight, the 2 places you can really use it. Funny we got full boost in turn 1 & the lower esses. The codes kept saying it was a TPS problem, there was a street SRT4 in attendance & the owner let us take apart his brand new car & we tried it out but to no avail. Eventually we the car wouldnt even run 10 yards. We think its a wiring issue,Grand am makes us run a corsa data logger, & maybee that was the culprit. We also swapped to the original ECU & fuel injectors but still no run. When it did run @ full boost, the stage 1 overpowered the the open diff & we had lurid wheel spin(kind of fun)but slow. Did a best of 223 on friday & with monting problems the best we could do is 224 on saturday.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great event. Went with my dad Saturday and stayed til after the VRL races.

Joe- What class did you run in?

NCVCA- was the oil from that yellow Porsche? Which car was Paul in? Did he race on Sat?

pdm- My dad and I were noting how quickly you guys were running that SRT4. What was your fastest lap? Got my dad thinking as well, "If they'll let a Subaru and a couple Neons get on the track, where do I sign up with my Acura 3.2?" lol

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are always other makes running on club days. Friday there were 2 pesky RX-7s running (different generations).
One was the newer and a neat and clean race car. Probably a good way to get into this hobby, although looking at the parts and details on the Mazda, even that looked like it could get out of hand quickly (dollar wize). Don't know if they ran, but up on top of the "hill" at the start of the straight, there were a couple of Hondas that I thought were going to run at some point too.
I can only hope that the replacement for the GTS will be a streetable Competition Coupe, and when it's 5 years old, I can get one :)

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the neon broke, we blew a cv boot on friday, there was only ! in the country, PVO got us one. we repaired saturday AM & got back on track. We installed the stage 1 computer . but we were getting intermittant cut out with the boost, so we never got a lap with full boost. Boost should be 15 lbs & we were getting 5 lbs coming out of oak tree, & onto the front straight, the 2 places you can really use it. Funny we got full boost in turn 1 & the lower esses. The codes kept saying it was a TPS problem, there was a street SRT4 in attendance & the owner let us take apart his brand new car & we tried it out but to no avail. Eventually we the car wouldnt even run 10 yards. We think its a wiring issue,Grand am makes us run a corsa data logger, & maybee that was the culprit. We also swapped to the original ECU & fuel injectors but still no run. When it did run @ full boost, the stage 1 overpowered the the open diff & we had lurid wheel spin(kind of fun)but slow. Did a best of 223 on friday & with monting problems the best we could do is 224 on saturday.

You guys are doing all the R&D on this vehicle for track use. Keep your spirits up. There will be some disappointments on your climb up a long hill. Eventually there will be some light at the end of the tunnel. Best Regards

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That white early rx 7 was fassssst!

Viperzilla: we got down to 2;23 on friday but we had major issues. most of the time we were running less than 10 lbs of boost...should be 15.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool: <font color="blue"> </font> VIR = GREAT EVENT :cool:

:laugh: Thanks Guys for letting a few of us " varmits (Z0-6'ers)" hook up with Y'all this past weekend. It was a pleasure getting to run with the "Big Dogs" at VIR and joining in with the FUN! Hats off to Courtney, Skip, and the others from the Viper Days organization who were very friendly and helpful. All the club members were friendly, and didn't whip up on us too badly on the track... ;) !

We enjoyed participating at VIR and look forward to getting together again, soon! Cya @ the track! :cool:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey trumper, did you run in Blue with the majority? I was in that group... Real fun and competitive group with most running within 2 -3 seconds of each other. Had an absolute blast! Hope to make it down to Atlanta for our Zone Rend. or some other event @ Road Atlanta...

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil was from my good friend Sonny Wheelen. Nobody plans on blowing a motor!

What a gracious guy!!!! He apologozed to me!! I lost one measly position in GT-2 and he lost an engine...

The caliber of people at Viper Days Events cannot be matched.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know what happened to the yellow Porsce 911 with the big rear wing? I didn't see him go 'round the track after a little bit either.

You won't find many people that will apologize for busting their own engine. I'm not sure I would either; not out of disrespect, but that's just how racing goes. That right there is a great friend and a gentleman.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zone Rond is the weekend of 9/27, there is a Panoz track day the same weekend , go to the panoz site &amp; register NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone at Viper Days would like to personally thanks each and everyone of you for driving at the Viper Days VIR event. We all had a great time and the weather held out. We hope to see many more people next year for the VIR race. Don't forget that we will be at Putnam Park Sept 12-14 which is SouthWest of Indianapolis. It is a fun safe track!

Once again thank you all for a great event! The event results will be posted soon. Just got back into town 2 hours ago!

Viper Days, Inc.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey trumper, did you run in Blue with the majority? I was in that group... Real fun and competitive group with most running within 2 -3 seconds of each other. Had an absolute blast! Hope to make it down to Atlanta for our Zone Rend. or some other event @ Road Atlanta...

:D Yep, I was also in the Blue group! Hope to Cya @ Road Atlanta.

CT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good video. There is about 4 miles worth of track and only 19 cars on the track at 1 time and I think you got behind the only train!! ;) Hope we see all of the ZO6 guys out at more events. It was a pleasure having you at the event!

Viper Days, Inc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave