Just got Roe supercharged..questions

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: She put down 602rwhp and 632rwtq. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Thank you David Weaver, Cody, and Cameron of A.R.T.

My questions are:

1. Does your supercharged car make significantly more exhaust noise (especially the popping on deceleration)?

2. Does anyone use a higher octane gas (race gas)?

3. Does anyone use EBC Greens? My fronts are staring to grind a little and I hate all the brake dust but worried about stopping power.

4. I am thinking of removing the hi-flow cats. I am not concerned with the increase in sound, would like to know the hp gains and if the smell is a problem. Do flames shoot out also?

For reference I have a 97 B&W GTS with: Roe 8lb supercharger, headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust (no mufflers), aluminum flywheel, filters and smooth tubes.

Thanks,
Mike

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use EBC greens on my street Viper only. And due to their poor stopping power I stay aware of it whenever I do any spirited driving. I get them from Steve Pasztor at GreatBrakes.com 972-743-9443

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: She put down 602rwhp and 632rwtq. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

My questions are:

1. Does your supercharged car make significantly more exhaust noise (especially the popping on deceleration)? YES, BUT THE POPPING WILL BE REDUCED IF YOU LOSE THE CATS

2. Does anyone use a higher octane gas (race gas)? GET THE METHANOL INJECTIOM

3. Does anyone use EBC Greens? My fronts are staring to grind a little and I hate all the brake dust but worried about stopping power. GREENS HAVE ALMOST NO DUST AND ARE FINE ON THE STREET

4. I am thinking of removing the hi-flow cats. I am not concerned with the increase in sound, would like to know the hp gains and if the smell is a problem. Do flames shoot out also? THE SOUND IS VERY LOUD, LIKE THE HOUNDS OF HELL. HP GAIN NOT LIKELY. I HAVE NO CATS AND NO SMELL PROBLEMS. NEVER CHECKED ON THE FLAME THING

For reference I have a 97 B&W GTS with: Roe 8lb supercharger, headers, hi-flow cats, exhaust (no mufflers), aluminum flywheel, filters and smooth tubes.

Thanks,
Mike

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Same noise for me as before. Anyhow I became deaf since I installed straight pipes.

2. Very important to fill up always with the right fuel.
On 91 octan fuel you will have to retard the ignition as much as 5-9 degrees compared to normal situation at 7psi boost.
On 94 oct you don't need to modify the ignition much.
On long highway trips I always run on 91 oct fuel (setup to 15.5AFR) otherwise I always use 94oct fuel.
The 602rwhp for a 8lb pulley is very conservative.
Your tuner did a setup for street use which is very wise. It is good for the health of your Viper.
I do 602rwhp on 94 oct fuel with a 6.5lb pulley.
If you get a higher octan fuel likely you will hit 700rwhp with the right ignition setup.
Until you get 100% familiar with this fuel question and you understand inside-out how to setup the right ignition just stay with your setup.

3. Still searching for these best universal pads but I think the stock ones (brembo) are very good.

4. Good idea but do it for the heat and not for the HPs. If you don't have muffler it will be VERY noisy.
HP gain ? maybe 10hp at 5500rpm.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

My questions are:

1. Does your supercharged car make significantly more exhaust noise (especially the popping on deceleration)?

2. Does anyone use a higher octane gas (race gas)?

3. Does anyone use EBC Greens? My fronts are staring to grind a little and I hate all the brake dust but worried about stopping power.

4. I am thinking of removing the hi-flow cats. I am not concerned with the increase in sound, would like to know the hp gains and if the smell is a problem. Do flames shoot out also?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
1. Yes, the exhaust can be louder as you're moving more air and yes there's more fuel and air in the exhaust when you let off to cause the popping. The popping can be toned down by shutting off the injectors during decelleration (using the VEC2 software). I used to turn them all down, but some cars would actually start to stall when coming to a stop, so I started doing it only when requested. David can set that up for you.

2. Yes, lots of people do when they're doing track events or want to make more power, which is something you can do with higher octane as you don't have to pull out as much ignition advance.

3. I don't think the EBC greens stop as good as stock, but the dust is much lower. I think NAPA has a gold pad that works well also.

4. The high flow cats aren't costing you too much HP. If you want more HP for reasonable amount of money, install a set of the Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers and heavy duty pushrods for $729 in parts. That will pick you up 26 RWHP on average.

Have fun.

Regards,
Sean

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Same noise for me as before. Anyhow I became deaf since I installed straight pipes.

2. Very important to fill up always with the right fuel.
On 91 octan fuel you will have to retard the ignition as much as 5-9 degrees compared to normal situation at 7psi boost.
On 94 oct you don't need to modify the ignition much.
On long highway trips I always run on 91 oct fuel (setup to 15.5AFR) otherwise I always use 94oct fuel.
The 602rwhp for a 8lb pulley is very conservative.
Your tuner did a setup for street use which is very wise. It is good for the health of your Viper.
I do 602rwhp on 94 oct fuel with a 6.5lb pulley.
If you get a higher octan fuel likely you will hit 700rwhp with the right ignition setup.
Until you get 100% familiar with this fuel question and you understand inside-out how to setup the right ignition just stay with your setup.

3. Still searching for these best universal pads but I think the stock ones (brembo) are very good.

4. Good idea but do it for the heat and not for the HPs. If you don't have muffler it will be VERY noisy.
HP gain ? maybe 10hp at 5500rpm.

I don't think I have seen anyone with a stock motor and as much hp as your talking. You sure that's right ?? And I hope your talking 15.5afr at cruise and not full throttle.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Tony, I have 602rwhp with a 6.5lb pulley at 65F. Check the dyno sheet under my photo. That day I could have got maybe 20rwhp more by fine tuning my AFR. On highway, I can spin my wheels in 4th gear .... (I just order a big wing). Yes the engin is stock. I spent 15000mi on testing to have this effectiveness. My SC Viper rides better than an AMG mercedes.

What a question for the 15.5AFR ! Yes it is at cruise only for long trips. At full throttle I try to set around 12AFR and other wise around 14.7AFR. This is the magic of VEC2 you can easily setup your Viper for your style of driving.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are you using the VEC2 to adjust A/F in closed loop? Doesn't the PCM just pull/add fuel to readjust the mixture back to where it thinks it should be? I am asking, because my system is running leaner than I would like in closed loop, but if I use the VEC2 to add fuel, it just throws a 'too rich' code after a while since the PCM is trying to pull the extra fuel back out.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

In closed loop you can only adjust fuel on cylinders where the PCM doesn't read the stock O2 sensors. If you have a header where the O2 sensor is in the collector you will not be able to do this because the PCM will auto adjust your fuel.

On my headers the O2 sensors are located at my cylinder #5 and #6.

In the Vec2 on the fuel offset tab, I remove about 0.2ms-0.50 additional fuel from my #1,#3,#7,#9, #2,#4,#8,#10 cylinders. You have to read the plugs to know how far you can go on each cylinder. It is not an accurate science ... you need an AFR gauge on both side of the engin.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

In closed loop you can only adjust fuel on cylinders where the PCM doesn't read the stock O2 sensors. If you have a header where the O2 sensor is in the collector you will not be able to do this because the PCM will auto adjust your fuel.

Is someone telling you this or do you just figure it out yourself ? Your pcm doesn't know where your o2 is at....you can leave it hanging and it will still think it's reading 5 cylinders.

I can't find the 700 rwhp stock motor roe s/c dyno sheet ??

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Is someone telling you this or do you just figure it out yourself ? Your pcm doesn't know where your o2 is at....you can leave it hanging and it will still think it's reading 5 cylinders.
I think this makes sense. Schulmann is leaning out the 8 cylinders not read by the O2 sensors by using the injector offsets. The O2 sensors that think they are reading 5 cylinders are only seeing one, so they can't see that he is modifying the other 4 cylinders. Obviously this limits A/F balancing to 8 of the 10 cylinders, but seems like it should otherwise work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62