Just Picked up GTECH PRO on Ebay

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I inquired a while ago about the GTECH performance meter and several of you gave it the thumbs up. With the new models on the market for $189 - $229 (they can sync up on pc)the older modles in the box new can be had for $27.

Couldn't take the Viper out with the amount of snow we had here in NY so there I was today in the ML350 doing 0-60 sprints to check it out. Even got a 1/4 mile run in.

Seems to work pretty well......new toy for the spring... :laugh:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one myself, which one did you get

OP
OP
JWVIPER

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
It was the GTECH performance Meter / Pro. FOr $27 bucks , (31 w S&H), for that price it is a cool little toy that calims accuracy of .1 in 0 - 60 and .1 in 1/4 mile times.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The model you bought was introduced back in the early 90’s and was state of the art back then. At that time, it sold for about $150.00 so getting a new one for $30.00 is pretty good. I had thought about getting one back in those days. The new ones they have out now are able to detect engine RPM thru the cigarette lighter outlet and as a result, have a built-in shift light. They can also graph out your entire ¼ mile run with engine RPM, shift points, etc. Pretty slick. They can also give you HP and torque readings but I’m not sure how those numbers are derived.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one and damn does it ****! I was very disappointed.

What? I have the 2nd generation model (G-Tech Pro) and I love it. The best toy I ever bought for the money. The newest version of the G-Tech is even better. What don't you like about it?

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered the new SS model. I'll post my opinion once I have one. If any of you guys in my area want to borrow it, come on by.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What model do you have and why does it ****?

I have this model:

You must be registered for see images attach

It does not read the times correctly. It says it takes me 5.0 seconds to do a 0-60 but that can not be true because I have taken it to 60 against other Vipers and it is right next to them all the time.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at these extensively. Major current offerings appear to be:

G-Tech SS @ $199.00
G-Tech RR @ $299.00
Passport G-Timer GT1 @ $99.95
Passport G-Timer GT2 @ $179.95
Mr. Dyno @ <$100. (can't remember exactly, but under 100)

It would appear that in a lot of ways, you get what you pay for. F355's unit looks like the Mr. Dyno. The G-Tech's are pretty sophisticated with measuring RPM's and torque, graphing, etc. It's all a matter of how far you want to examine your results.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the G Tech Competeition Pro. Not sure how it compares to the new names. It has memory, graphing and computer link (via serial port). 3 axis acceleraometers so it is easy to set up. Pretty accurate (you can input variables such as roll-out distance) and very repeatable.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been looking at these extensively. Major current offerings appear to be:

G-Tech SS @ $199.00
G-Tech RR @ $299.00
Passport G-Timer GT1 @ $99.95
Passport G-Timer GT2 @ $179.95
Mr. Dyno @ <$100. (can't remember exactly, but under 100)

It would appear that in a lot of ways, you get what you pay for. F355's unit looks like the Mr. Dyno. The G-Tech's are pretty sophisticated with measuring RPM's and torque, graphing, etc. It's all a matter of how far you want to examine your results.

I looked at the Passport but felt the Gtech was better. The Gtech uses a 3 axis accelerometer and the Passport uses only a 2 axis accelerometer. I don’t claim to know anything about accelerometers but I do know that in life, “more” is usually better than “less”.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have this model:

It does not read the times correctly. It says it takes me 5.0 seconds to do a 0-60 but that can not be true because I have taken it to 60 against other Vipers and it is right next to them all the time.
That is the same model G-Tech I have (2nd generation). I have achieved 4.00 second 0-60 times with it. You have to make sure the unit is level (reads zero), before you start your run. The 3rd generation unit G-Tech Competition Pro (I think that is what it is called anyways), eliminates the need for leveling. As I said before, for the money this thing is a great little toy and is pretty accurate. I don't know what else you can buy for the money that gives you what this thing does.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" in life, “more” is usually better than “less”. "

Kind of like 8 litres vs. 7 or 6 or 5 or less. I'm with ya.

Outlaw, Let us know what you think of the G-Tech SS. That's kind of the way I'm leaning too. If I go that way, I may just go ahead and get their RR model. I'd like to be able to upload the info to my PC and look at the graphs and such. I'm planning a series of mods over time and it would be nice to see how each effects the car.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey – I’m chompin’ at the bit. I’ll certainly provide feedback. The SS is due to arrive at my house tomorrow. Stay tuned…

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I has a chance to play around with the Gtech SS in my truck yesterday. Seems to work great. Calibrating the RPM's was the only tricky part. It would be much easier to do it you had 2 people.

OP
OP
JWVIPER

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

I have this model:

That is the one I picked up for 27$, like one other poster said you have zero it out right in order to get time, I havn'et checked it in Viper yet but ran it in both my benz's and was able to come in slightly above and slightly below what R&T has claimed for those cars, good enough to get a feel...

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These things are very interesting. Please update this thread when any of you gets to test it on a Viper. My understanding is that they tend to read low HP/torque (but consistent) and are quite accurate with regard to times.

Kurt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62