K&N Filter system

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just returned from K&N for installation of their new filter system on my 2003 SRT10. System is very clean and goes inside of the current airbox so there are no filters hanging out in the heat and no water problems. Actually if you did not know the system was different you probably would not be able to tell unless side by side.

Anyway great results on the before and after dyno. They want to announce the gains but I can tell you they are very worthwhile. Increase was over a fairly wide RPM range and not just peak power.

Good system.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When and where are they going to post information on performance and cost. Is this just filters? or air box and tubes. Please advise with more information

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gave them the site information to look at and post. They have to clear the numbers with the legal people first, I guess. We have certainly shot ourselves in the foot with our legal system but that's another post.

Anyway it uses the stock outside box on the car but the tubes that connect from the throttle body are changed and different air filters, new ones, with the top end filtered as well. Fits right into the stock box. I think the gain comes from the design of the tube from the throttle body to the filters.

If I can get some time and figure how to post pictures I will. You might call K&N and ask about availability. I forgot as I was late for another appointment after the install and dyno run. I did dyno at 452.4 to the rear wheels with no other mods, but those are my numbers and yours may vary as they say.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leonard.
Congratulations on receiving the world first SRT-K&N.
I will try to get mine installed and take it to the Temecula West Coast Vipers dyno day this weekend. Should be able to post results and prices shortly thereafter.

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will like it Paul. Looks like stock. The only noticeable difference in sound is when you are idling or just above idle. Nice Hiss and very appropriate for our cars but not obtrusive. Sorry I can't make it this weekend but I look forward to your numbers.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Need price from K&N to post price. They have not announced the price yet.

I am attempting to have them allow the club to sell them to members as a dealer. This will put all profits back into club for events etc.

Details to follow.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with K&N 7:00AM 12/9/03 thier customer service people, Lorenzo said they do not have anything for the 03 SRT-10 Viper. Leonard, can you give us any part numbers or specific person to speak to about geting these parts. I am interested because In installed a Green Force filter on my car which is an exact replacement and unfortunately because K&N is a sponsor for Viper Days the Green Force filter ads a point to my car in the matrix and with the Glass Packs I installed those two mods put me into the next glass for Viper Days. I do not want to be in the next class so I either have to install the K&N package or go back to the stock filters. So I am VERY VERY interested in this change. Please advise a specific contact person at K&N that knows whats going on. If this is that new it is not surprising that the customer service people don't know anything. I love it when the public knows more than their own C.S. people do. Will look for your post or send me a private email if the information is not supposed to be "out there" yet. Thanks, Steve

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any part number info. These are literally the first parts off the mold. I suspect it will be some time yet before they are available but K&N will have to answer that.

I did forget to post that they are looking for an 04 to make sure they fit as well. Anyone that has one can get a free kit. Call K&N and ask for Dino.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason "the public" knows more about this than customer service is because Leonard and I took our SRT's to the Research and Development facility in Riverside.
They used our cars to develope this new system. They dyno'd our cars before and after, and tried out many different possibilites.
They came up with a system, made a prototype out of metal, and retested.
Satisfied that some real gains could be made they made up a few "first article" prototypes, which they tested again on Leonards car. The results encouraged them to go ahead with full production.
I should pick up my system any day now, will Dyno, and report the results to the Viper Community.
I'll try to get pricing, and availability then, and report on this board.
Please do not bombard K&N with questions. You will have answers here before anyone else. Marketing will be only updated when it is mass produced, packaged, priced, and ready for their catalog.
This all happened because Jerry Mall, the president of K&N is a Viper owner, and racing buddy of ours.
Look for more details soon.
K&N is also a fan oF iperDays.

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lenoard and Paul thanks for the information.If I lived close I would be on my way to K&N now for my free kit. :usa:

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds really interesting to people (like me) who are interested in some mild mods. The question in my mind is what is the difference between the "system" and just the K&N filters? I've seen people post here that they were only getting ~5HP from the filter change or just taking off the airbox completely at the Dyno. To me, that's the functional equivalent of zero, but I'm sure others will disagree. Can you guys who have the system elaborate a bit more on what all is added to the filters to make a bigger difference?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point 1: A LOT of us are interested.
Point 2: I understand R&D time.
Point 3: Mass production and marketing take time.
Point 4: (the important one) The SRT has been on sale for a year.

Since they are just at the point of testing and fine tuning prototypes, we can assume it will not be ready for a while yet? Weeks? Months?

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real difference I see is in the tubing connection from the intake to the filters themselves. The difference in the filter is not significant over their current one for the SRT10 but the plumbing is. Sorry I don't have more details.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N did not design the filter early, as no one took a car over for measurements. They have no way to make a system unless they have an actual car to evaluate. They need to make up a prototype, and then run before and afters dyno's to see if the system actually improves on the stock set up.
As Leonard mentioned, they decided to retain the stock air box, and mount new, open ended filters, on a new Y tube, with the Helmholtz resonator removed. That system gave them the best results.
As you can see from West Coast Vipers thread, not every mounting of K&N's produce measurable results.(General Viper)
They only have one unit produced, and that is the one I will pick up tomorrow. Will Dyno this weekend, and post results.
Expect this to be a happy Christmas.
Please stand by.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took SRT with K&N's to West Coast Vipers Dyno Day. Ran back to back pulls with K&N and stock setup. Only 1 HP difference. Maybe other testing will show more improvement. K&N intake was so much cleaner, I expected a significant difference, but it was not shown on their Dyno.
A fun side note, is that the K&N system gives a slight whistle when the car is started cold. The whistle sounds very much like a supercharger whine at idle. The sound went away as the car warmed up. You could hear it clearly when standing near the car, or from inside with the windows rolled down. Could not hear driving down Hwy with windows up.

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul:

That is too bad about the testing. I could not make it to West Coast this time but I need to get there anyway for some PCM programming on tne 96. I think I will take the SRT as well and have them do some runs. I did see an increase but did not see the runs. I have the dyno slip but don't know how to post it. As soon as I can get down there I will post the results. Of course I can't "feel" anything with a 12hp increase.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done a before/after dyno on the computer download for the WOT/Bog TSB? After having the ECM reprogrammed, my SRT feels much faster but a dyno comparison would be interesting.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul -

I was at West Coast Viper this morning. I understand that the torque went down as well with the K&N setup on yesterday's dyno run. Do you remember the numbers?

Frank

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try to get down to West Coast next week after they finish pouring my driveway and I can get the car out again. I will bring the old filter set up and the K&N and test both. That will give a good baseline not only for the filters but then I can check again after the computer reflash for the Bog which I have.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great. Very interested in both results. How do you plan to test to minimize the influence of engine/underhood temps? To see a 5 or 10 hp difference the conditions need to be very consistent. I know when I have run the difference between the first and third run is usually in that neighborhood. After the third run it seems to stabilize as long as the wait time and cooling method between runs is the same.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great. Very interested in both results. How do you plan to test to minimize the influence of engine/underhood temps? To see a 5 or 10 hp difference the conditions need to be very consistent.

Good point above. I also look forward to the results. Thanks.

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good question. There was a 3 hour interval between the dyno run with stock filter system and the K&N. I will try to set it up so that we keep the same interval.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so. Under WOT the computer is automatically adjusting for changes in inlet air temp and MAP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth