KING POSER laptop Mount and VEC2 mods!

Reaction score
OK, I'm adding something useable to the car while still managing to maintain my KING POSER status. Been a major PITA to haul the laptop with me while working with the VEC2. I've routed the serial cable into the cabin on the passenger side, and I used to haul the laptop on the passenger seat. Make some runs down a closed track, pull over and then make adjustments. I'd have to balance the laptop on the center console.....PITA! I went "In Search Of..." and came up with this. Once the e-brake is down it will swivel closer to basically hover over the center console. Road test will be after Ophelia departs for good, but initial "mechanical agitations" show it to be quite solid.

2laptop1-med.jpg

2laptop2-med.jpg

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I knew you were hanging around!!! :)

The good thing about the main mount portion is that it can be used to mount/hold a GPS, or he((, even a CUP HOLDER for those real posers. :)

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tony hat is niiiiice! how does it mount and where at, the seat mounting bolts? did you wire the laptop off an ac converter or is it just charged inside.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Just wait....tomorrow I'm gonna drive under a moving semi trailer!!!

JD...I started at www.rammount.com where I got linked to www.gpscity.com and then spoke to someone there. This is the mount I got. Spent time on it last night, and tonight I finished it up after making several more cuts on the legs. For some reason I figured YOU would like this!!! :)

kingsnake...currently I just charge in the house and use both batteries in the car, but I have an inverter in the car just in case. But, with two batteries in it lasts long enough for me.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah... you know me far too well. Mostly b/c I _need_ this!

So if I buy the one you linked to, I should be able to figure out how to mount it? Put another way, it is mounted to the floor, yah?

Very cool!

I feel like a ricer already!!!

JD

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I ran the long mounting rod from the right side of the passenger seat, up about 2 inches, then a 90 so it follows along just in front of the seat cushion to the edge of the seat, then a 90 up. I ran the middle length mounting rod from the eye-bolt I have installed in the middle of the seat on the floor for the Team Tech crotch belt. This one actually is angled at about 45 degrees once the eye-bolt is tight, so there is an odd bend or two in the middle mounting rod...but it ends up near the first. The thrid, short, mounting rod basically comes straight up from the left seat mount bolt.

JD...if I can figure it out, you are gonna have no problems! I actually mounted it without cuttin anything, and I had to laught when I put the laptop tray in and it was almost to the roof!! LOL!!! It was almost midnight last night so I called it a day after marking where I REALLY needed to make the cuts. After the cuts today the ball-mount (everything mounts to this) is right smack-dab in the little crotch formed by the side of the center console and the edge of the seat. This adds a little stability...not that it really needs it. Oh, I also let the third mounting rod (the one that goes basically straight up) go THROUGH the mounting foot and it is actually resting on the floor....then I tightened all the set screws on the mounting feet.

The road test tomorrow (again, as long as Ophelia has moved on) will be the final test.

I looked at other mounts...rigid types, figuring I could just modify the location of the botl holes and mount to the seat screws. After talking to the guy at GPS City I decided to try this. It wasn't hard, but it was a PITA! Once there, though, it doesn't really need to be taken out for any reason. The entire laptop tray comes out and you would have to look hard to see the rest of the setup. :)

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
This one looks interesting too...

http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/ramvb127sw1.htm

Did you consider this? I wonder if it would have been easier...

now you got my brain working...

JD

JD...I was looking for a happy medium. That one might work, but would basically require removal (or almost complete disassembly) for a passenger to fit. Have a look at 117 or 111. Both appear to have a base that can easily be modified to fit the bolt pattern on the Viper seat.....as well as place the stanchion well to the left (inboard).

TVC....remember, "KING POSER"....so that means more like 16 seconds. I gotta stop right before the end and wipe te car down so it looks good!! LOL!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you can mount a PlayStation on there really nice too. I think that should be your next mod... ;) Have you ever thought about one of those fish tanks with bubbles and neon for your interior, Tony? ;) :eek:

G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Careful, this can get addictive! Once you get started, you can never stop!

You must be registered for see images