KW Variant 2 / Spring Caps

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really interested in buying a set of KWs. I was originally told last year they could be bought for around $2,500; however, I've searched a lot online lately and all I can find are sets selling for $3,995+

Does anyone know if the KW can be bought cheaper? I'd also be interested in perhaps other brands if they were quality and of course cheaper.

I just want my car to LOOK lower and be a comfortable drive. Gaining performance out of it is of course nice as well, but I'm not looking to track my car ever so I don't need anything high end. I also turned away from considering the thought of Eibachs. I really want to lower my car the safest way possible without sacrificing the smoothness in the ride. I'm sure I might have to sacrifice it a little bit, I just don't want to do anything too drastic and from a lot of reading and just word of mouth, considering the way the streets are around Massachusetts, it seems Eibachs aren't the best idea.

My current tires are:
Michelin Pilot Sport 2, 295/30/ZR19
Michelin Pilot Sport 2, 335/30/ZR20

I was told regardless, I should swap out the Michelin for Pirelli before attempting to lower the car at all if I were to buy KW or any set of coilovers. Reasoning for this since the Michelin has a 30 sidewall compared to the Pirelli having a 25 sidewall which would be better to prevent my tires from any rubbing or hitting the fender. This would of course lower the car closer to the ground, but unfortunately increase the gap between the top of the tire and the fender which is something I'm trying to reduce. I guess the Michelin having a 30 sidewall do a better job at filling up that area. Right now I can fit almost 4 fingers in that gap where the tire and fender are, I'd really like to only be able to fit 1 or 2 fingers at most.

ALTERNATIVE:
If I weren't going to do KW or any coilover, I was told my next best option would be to still switch from the Michelin PS2s and get Pirelli Tires for lowering the car to the ground more, but then purchase the spring caps from Jon B to then try and reduce that Gap between the tire and the fender.

Has anyone bought the caps and switched from Michelin to Pirelli? If so, did you notice a considerable difference in the car being lower and of course reducing that gap in the fender area?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
-Anthony

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used set of KW Variant 2's on my 09 right now. They ride fine, and handle great. You can adjust them very easy to adjust ride hight to be just perfect. Later if you want to raise or lower them, it is just as easy to change.

I would be willing to sell them for $2,500 as I want to upgrade to Motons ($6,000).

Let me know if you would be interested. I could have my mechanic take them off and send them to you when he is installing my Motons.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon B had the best price on the KW coilovers when I bought and installed mine. I can't remember the exact price, but it was way below $3,995+.

You have another option for a rear tire. Nitto makes the INVO in a 345/25/20.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing tire size will do nothing for the appearance of a lowered car. The wheel gap will still be huge and actually would increase with a lower profile tire and same size rim.

Caps would lower and keep the ride closest to the way it is now.

I for one dont see the point in spending $2500 for a non tracked car when the same result can be achieved for a hundred.

:usa:

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing tire size will do nothing for the appearance of a lowered car. The wheel gap will still be huge and actually would increase with a lower profile tire and same size rim.

Caps would lower and keep the ride closest to the way it is now.

I for one dont see the point in spending $2500 for a non tracked car when the same result can be achieved for a hundred.

Robzilla made a much better point than the last post. But buy the used set and save some money if you are going to buy an entire setup, no need to buy new if your going to spend the money save some at the same time. Hey maybe Paul will cut ya an even better deal. HAHAHA

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B had the best price on the KW coilovers when I bought and installed mine. I can't remember the exact price, but it was way below $3,995+.

You have another option for a rear tire. Nitto makes the INVO in a 345/25/20.

Daniel, thank you very much for referring me to JonB for the KW's. You were right, he does have the best price. I've done some business with JonB in the past, but didn't know he was selling the KW Variant 2.

Daniel is 100% correct, waaaay correct, thanks DR

Jon, thanks for getting in touch with me. I'm glad I could do business with you and I can't wait to receive my new set of KW Variant 2's. I sent you an email and will be giving you a call tomorrow. :2tu:

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone fill the rest of us in?:dunno:

I think that the point is that Jon's pricing is often pretty darned good, and it is worth your while to check it out with him. In this particular case his price was much better than what is posted above. (at least when I bought mine last year.)

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my 08 it looked jacked-up with space for 3 fingers in front and 4 in the back.
First try was installing spring caps from JonB wich only lowered the car 5/8" and was fine for one summer but I wanted more, so I got a set of KW2 from JonB last year and now have space for only one finger front and back. I'm now happy with the look and ride is nice with the adjustment set at mid position 9 ( adjust from 1 to 18)

Stock height

You must be registered for see images attach

With KW2 suspension

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SilveRT8, I'll have to keep that in mind when I get mine. Your car looks awesome at mid position 9, so I might try that myself. Although, since my car is a Gen2 GTS I'm not sure if it would look the same as yours at that setting. Are you still using the Spring Caps with the KW2 or did you take them off before you put the KW2 on?

Also, what are your tire sizes?

When I got my 08 it looked jacked-up with space for 3 fingers in front and 4 in the back.
First try was installing spring caps from JonB wich only lowered the car 5/8" and was fine for one summer but I wanted more, so I got a set of KW2 from JonB last year and now have space for only one finger front and back. I'm now happy with the look and ride is nice with the adjustment set at mid position 9 ( adjust from 1 to 18)

Stock height

With KW2 suspension

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm now happy with the look and ride is nice with the adjustment set at mid position 9 ( adjust from 1 to 18)

Can other people who have a Gen2 GTS chime in with their exact setting? I'd like to have an idea of what I might use when I get the KW2 for my 96 GTS.. Also, if you have any pictures to go along with the position you used that would be great, thanks!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to getting them on my car this summer. By the way, I appreciate your original post in offering to sell me yours. I was just concerned since our cars are a different Gen, they would not fit my car properly. I will be sure to get a new alignment tho after I drive around a lil bit with the new KW2s. I hope you enjoy your new Motons as well, how soon are you getting them put on?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SilveRT8, I'll have to keep that in mind when I get mine. Your car looks awesome at mid position 9, so I might try that myself. Although, since my car is a Gen2 GTS I'm not sure if it would look the same as yours at that setting. Are you still using the Spring Caps with the KW2 or did you take them off before you put the KW2 on?

Also, what are your tire sizes?

A bit of clarification is needed here :
With the KW2 ride height adjustment and firmness setting are done separatly. First by turning that threaded purple ring at the bottom you adjust ride height and then lock it with the set screw. Pictures below shows my rear unit almost at the lowest setting while the front one could still go much lower.
Then to adjust ride firmness you simply turn the chrome center shaft at the top of the unit by inserting a small allen key or nail in the holes provided ( you can see it in the Front pic).
There are 18 positions (or cliks) from 1 very firm to 18 very smooth, mid position #9 seems fine for the street as I tried the smoother #11 but the shocks would bottom out on big bumps.
For a day at the track, you can firm it some more and then go back to street setting in a few minutes.
KW2 comes as a complete bolt-in unit, so no stock or lower spring cap. My tires are stock size 18" front and 345-30-19" rear

KW2 REAR

You must be registered for see images

KW2 FRONT

You must be registered for see images

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can other people who have a Gen2 GTS chime in with their exact setting? I'd like to have an idea of what I might use when I get the KW2 for my 96 GTS.. Also, if you have any pictures to go along with the position you used that would be great, thanks!

Try a search. There is an entire thread dedicated to this with pics and details about each set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave