Launching without "Launch" Control

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were a couple of comments on how to best lanuch the car when you DO NOT use the Launch Control feature. Hopefully this will be a living document and we will all learn as we get seat time.

There is nothing about this post that should be considered as absolute, for sure, it is subject to change from further input.

1. Assume that you do not use the "Launch" feature, that is the basis we start with.

2. The only way to launch and get around the pcm intervention is to totally turn off ESC. The car must be stopped, you then hold the ESC button for 5 seconds and in the upper left of the dash you will see the ESC off icon. Keep in mind this turns off both traction control and stability control.

3. If you have not had a lot of seat time in a viper this could be dangerous and is not recommended.

4. If you are autox'ing as soon as you leave the start line you want to hit the ESC button to turn stability/traction back on. Just turn it off for the start.

5. The only launch tools (with ESC off) we have are the rpm's and the clutch modulation.

A. The launch rpm will vary with the type of tire. With the Hoosier DR's I found that you can hook with the launch rpm's as high as 5000. I want to emphasize I have not mastered this yet. There is a very fine line between a good launch and a bog. The Gen 1/2 did not have this issue since it had a lower torque curve and a heavy flywheel.

B. The key is to keep the car from bogging (nose diving) about 50 ft off the launch point. If you bog, you lose.

i. There are only two ways to keep from bogging, either spin the tires or slip the clutch. These clutches do not like a lot of forced slippage. When i say spin the tires that does not mean excessively, it is a controlled spin. Once you learn to get past the bog, you are going to have good 60' times, therefore, good 1/4 mile ET's. You just have to keep rasing the launch rpm till you get excessive wheel spin, at that point it is all modulation between the clutch and throttle.

In summary, learn to get past the natural bog this car/engine combo has and you are going to have a good launch. There is no magic, just practice.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is tough to answer, in general, drag racers do not use light flywheels. The oem twin disk clutch and the light flywheel have so many advantages in road racing.

Do you think the Gen V could benefit from a different clutch/flywheel assembly?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jack - thanks for sharing. Have you made any other mods to your '13 other than the DR's? Saw that your time was about 11.5ish at mopar nationals.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No changes yet, the 11.6 was with a density altitude (DA) of 3000 and a 1.9 60'. Better times are ahead.

Jack - thanks for sharing. Have you made any other mods to your '13 other than the DR's? Saw that your time was about 11.5ish at mopar nationals.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is tough to answer, in general, drag racers do not use light flywheels. The oem twin disk clutch and the light flywheel have so many advantages in road racing.

I wonder how well the BBG clutch/flywheel would work as a "best of both worlds" solution? It is a good point about road racing. Viper is a track car first.

BTW, I can't remember which mag did it, but someone has already done an 11.2 on street tires and not at the actual strip. I'll be shocked if someone doesn't go sub 11.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the weather gets cool it will happen, keep in mind most these tests were done in relatively cool/dry weather. That gives the car a whole bunch more hp than hot/humid conditions. Most of these tests were not not done at a track, therefore, the "Launch" control might be somewhat workable.

I wonder how well the BBG clutch/flywheel would work as a "best of both worlds" solution? It is a good point about road racing. Viper is a track car first.

BTW, I can't remember which mag did it, but someone has already done an 11.2 on street tires and not at the actual strip. I'll be shocked if someone doesn't go sub 11.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the weather gets cool it will happen, keep in mind most these tests were done in relatively cool/dry weather. That gives the car a whole bunch more hp than hot/humid conditions. Most of these tests were not not done at a track, therefore, the "Launch" control might be somewhat workable.

I think the 3000 FT is hurting you more than anything. I work with industrial engines and we take off 5% horsepower at 3000FT even for turbo charged engines. More for a NA engine. If you hit a 10.99 that is probably a 10.7 by me.

If you want, come down here and run. Take me for a spin and I'll get the beer and food!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave