Lets talk half shafts BMR or BTR which ones should I get.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, Gen-3 shafts are not the same as Gen-2...not even close. Gen-2 shafts are universal joint half shafts, while Gen-3 are CVD's

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is not many options for the GEN 3 Half Shafts. You can wait for the 850 RWHP or 1000 HP Unitrax half shafts or if you want the best and basically undestructable Half Shafts you need to go with the system used in 7.99 sec Heffner Twin Turbo and the 8 sec twin turbo Underground and RSI cars.

MARK WILLIAMS
Yes, they make halfshafts for GEN 3.
Very expensive.
That's what I have on my Heffner Twin.

Make sure you have the Quaiffe too.

I have Mark Williams half shafts, Quaiffe 3.07 differential and G-Force Triple Cone Synchro transmission in my Heffner Twin. Ready for 5000 - 6000 rpm launches :eek: :eek:

Good luck.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Insomniac...good info. I knew Mark Williams made some awesome parts for the insanely fast Gen-2 cars, but didnt know he did Gen-3...I may go that direction and avoid the wait!

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are the Mark Williams half shafts about a grand more than the 1000 HP Unitrax ones that I have been waiting 60+ days for? Is it really that much better a product, what about if producing less than 1000 RWHP? Or, should I go the direction Final GTS is considering? It appears there are at least three of us that could combine an order. I need mine yesterday.

Larry

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Larry- From what I can see on Mark Williams' website, they are actually stronger CVD's, not universal joint based half shafts.

If this is indeed the case, they are worth the extra money. CVD's will not bind up the suspension under load like a half-shaft based system CAN in some circumstances. This will allow more compliance on the drag strip, but also on the road course if your car will see that duty.

The Untriax system is more of a band-aid fix in my opinion, by using adapters to allow a "gen-2 like" halfshaft system to be installed in a gen-3 rear. It WILL work, but it may cause more problems down the road. It was the way I was planning on going, but I didnt think I had a choice when I had made that decision...now I know different.

This falls under the KISS theory...Keep It Simple Stupid. What are you more likely to have problems with?

-2 CV joints and a shaft
-an adapter, 2 U-joints, 2-splined yolks, and a shaft

Easy answer...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good info.

Anybody used one of these yet on a Gen III?

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper D I have had my name at Unitrax for half shafts. But if you could get a group discount I would be in.RICK

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I asked JonB to look into the Mark Williams half shafts. Perhaps he can help.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I asked JonB to look into the Mark Williams half shafts. Perhaps he can help.

already did checking myself, there is very little room to work with them...no matter how large of a buy-in you have.

I also have technical questions I have to call back tomorrow about... the SRT shafts appear downsized compared to Gen-2, and I want to see the possibility of getting custom shafts sized up for these serious horsepower cars.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'll tell you straight up, *MY* max discount is 8%...no matter how many I buy! Its quite insane for such an expensive part.

This may change however, as shafts upped to a size 21 (if possible) may not fall into the same pricing. I should know more tomorrow.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever broken a stock Gen III halfshaft?

How much power are the stock half shafts good for?

I've heard of people having issues with the dif, but haven't seen any reports of people breaking half shafts, even with drag radials.

What happens when your half shaft breaks? How much damage does it do? If your driveshaft breaks, you can do the nasty pole-vaulting trick, but when your half shafts break what happens?

I'm just trying to figure out if replacement half shafts make sense on my car. It will remain naturally aspirated, so I won't be putting down 1000 hp.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever broken a stock Gen III halfshaft?

How much power are the stock half shafts good for?

I've heard of people having issues with the dif, but haven't seen any reports of people breaking half shafts, even with drag radials.

What happens when your half shaft breaks? How much damage does it do? If your driveshaft breaks, you can do the nasty pole-vaulting trick, but when your half shafts break what happens?

I'm just trying to figure out if replacement half shafts make sense on my car. It will remain naturally aspirated, so I won't be putting down 1000 hp.

Yes, people have broken stock GEN3 halfshafts. It will most likely happen while drag racing with slicks or some other sticky tires but it might also happen whenever you have too much HP and your tires hook up.

There is not many GEN3's running at the strip on slicks or drag radials (definitely much less than number of GEN2 draggers) and that's the reason you're not hearing about broken GEN3 halfshafts. You won’t break the halfshafts if you are spinning the tires. The stock differential on the other hand tends to fail very easily and more often.

The GEN3 driveshaft is very short and I have yet to hear one that broke.
If you’re going to keep your car naturally aspirated and focus on road racing instead of drag racing, I don’t think you would need to change your halfshafts. The Quaiffe differential should do the trick in your case.

But then, anything can break. Even the Mark Williams rear end can break. HoustonT (Peter) broke the Mark Williams rear end of his 1,478 RWHP RSI twin turbo GEN2 at RSI V10 challenge.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2850 for half shafts?!? dang!

Do they make them for the GenII? and are they guaranteed for life?

JD

Yes, they make Mark Williams halfshafts for GEN2's. I doubt they are guaranteed for anything but to hold your rear end together to their best.

More options for GEN2's. You may want to look into Unitrax halfshafts too.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The other night coming home from dinner on the freeway a friend of mine broke one of his half shafts in an 03 SRT-10. He has headers, K&N's and a tune, maybe 480 rwhp. We were going about 75 mph.

I was following in my GTS. Sparks flew everywhere. No sticky tires, no launch and he has Motons and higher rate springs, though he still gets wheel hop occasionally.

Our OE half shafts are undersized and weak, little better than our hydralok diffs.

Kai, if you don't replace them, at least get a set of half shaft loops from Unitrax. Cheap insurance.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth