Life Expectancy of a Viper???

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed most Vipers you see for sale have under 30K miles on them. I also get the impression that anything over 20K miles is considered kind of high mileage for them.

1) What is the highest mileage you have heard of on a Viper?

2) What would you assume the average life expectancy of a Viper would be? I know this is dictated by many variables (general maintenance, driving application, geographic location, etc...).

My question refers to one that is well maintained and not dogged with only occasional racing.

"Life expectancy" is loosely being used as when they typically become problem cars.

Thanks,

:drive:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I know of several Vipers with over 70,000 miles on them.

In my opinion, the MAJOR problems with Vipers are usually "pilot error" and/or lack of attention to the PUBLISHED maintenance schedules !!!!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. While you dont see too many Vipers with high mileage, i would think these cars have a decent longevity.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mileage of the "average" Viper has nothing to do with longevity or durability of the car. Rather it has to do with the fact that most Viper owners are collectors or weekend enthusiasts who only drive in good weather for 6-9 months of the year. Hence, most of the cars have relatively low mileage. I think it is ridiculous that Vipers with more than 20K are considered high mileage, even regardless of the year. The fact that they have done well in the past in endurance racing indicates they are well built and durable in MHO.
PAvenom RT/10:rolaugh:

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at a few vipers with 90k+ miles on them. All were still going strong, but showing wear like any 90k+ vehicle does.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
65k on mine and I drive it all the time...and there is someone on here who posted a while back with close to 250k...

Runs like a top. Just make sure that everytime you change the oil that you do a once over to look for anything odd or out of place...preventitive maintenance goes along way with any car.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not the motor you need to worry about on these cars. It's the little stuff that goes wrong. Like the Amp...or Radio...or clutch safty switch. But that's the only things I've had go wrong with the car. Other than that I LOVE my Viper....but 675hp N/A just isn't enough.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the motor you need to worry about on these cars. It's the little stuff that goes wrong. Like the Amp...or Radio...or clutch safty switch. But that's the only things I've had go wrong with the car. Other than that I LOVE my Viper....but 675hp N/A just isn't enough.

Keep your hands off that thing, you tweaking son of a *****, until I can catch up with you!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to check, but I think I have 78k on mine. Chuck has well over 100k on his RT/10. I change my oil every 3k miles w/Mobil1, and taken VERY good care of it. I bought it with 51k on it in April 2005, so I'm averaging a little over 9k/year on it. I only drive it on the weekends, but take it out of town on the weekends a lot, so thats where my miles come from. Only problem I've had was I had an oil cooler line start leaking one night and have to be replaced

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only problem is that four of those months it's 110 degrees, always a fun ride in a GTS..:rolleyes:

Only 2 months you don't want to drive them in FL, luv-bug seasons. But if you don't mind scrubbing those little $%^%^&&* off after every drive and doing a detailing even some under hood, then zero down time here!

Viper is built like a tank, drive it a lot, they do better than garage queens. Not an awful lot that can go wrong, the Viper isn't loaded up with a bunch of useless nanny-tech.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Viper motor is generally so mellow at its power output that it's a really reliable high-miler.

In other words, I feel way more secure putting 150K miles on a Viper motor putting out 510hp on 8+liters of displacement, than on a 2 or 3 liter turbo'd engine putting out 250-300hp. For its displacement to me the Viper motor is just barely breathing hard to produce 510hp, the smaller engines out there are tweaked to the brutal edge to get 100hp/liter performance. IMHO

Small things go, like shocks can leak, etc., like anything else. But barring poorly tuned mods, or driver abuse/neglect, these motors should be very very solid & reliable.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DEFINITELY!

Just look at the service and reliability issues with the Ferrari 360, and what that motor goes through making 400hp at that displacement.

20,000 on a Ferrari is REALLY AND TRULY high mileage.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't any reason the car won't last your lifetime. Take reasonable care of her & if something does go wrong with her, just be prepared to pay the bucks to fix her!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well the car has is a big engine 8.0-8.4 liters with horse power from 400-600. I'm taking a guess that there is not much stress on the engine so it should last long (8.0 could have 800 hp). I'm taking a guess though, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed most Vipers you see for sale have under 30K miles on them. I also get the impression that anything over 20K miles is considered kind of high mileage for them.

1) What is the highest mileage you have heard of on a Viper?

2) What would you assume the average life expectancy of a Viper would be? I know this is dictated by many variables (general maintenance, driving application, geographic location, etc...).

My question refers to one that is well maintained and not dogged with only occasional racing.

"Life expectancy" is loosely being used as when they typically become problem cars.

Thanks,

:drive:

1. Highest mileage I have heard of was somewhere in the 120,000 mileage range on an RT/10.

2. Cars should last up to 75K miles or more before a engine rebuild is necessary.

Hope this helps

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was one for sale rt10 that had 96k on it.My 95 has 35 and its near mint.The gearing makes me think you could drive it forever. One of the things Ive grown to love is unlike other exotics theres no engine out every 5 year or 20k miles. It has less electonics and criter friters to go wrong. In short I hope mine is the first to turn 300k

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...many years ago, while in a meeting with an engineer at CAAP, he told me the engine in a Viper was good for 300K miles if properly maintained...largely due to the fact it doesn't have to work that hard to produce the HP

....a friend had one about 10 years ago that had 96K miles then...it ran great but looked a little tired

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have 2005 with 40000 miles.

These cars are so kit like it makes keeping them on the road easy. It would be as easy to restore as a 1960's corvette. This is why these cars will live for ever.

Im currently in need of paint, could use fresh carpet, seat bolster foam is gone, manifold could use an inspection or replacment and my shocks are replaced with 2008 take offs. Other than that it just tires and brakes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets