locked key in trunk-IDIOT!!!

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When i got my viper the dealer said they lost the other key! So they were to order me a new one (fob) and make a new key- that was 2 weeks ago!! Wouldn't you know it today I locked my only key in the trunk. Is there a way to open it? I don't see any releases in the cockpit of the car. I might have to wait until monday and have the dealer cut a new key for me.
Thanks,
Marc

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Tom Sessions-1-910-228-8477. I locked my key in the trunk of my 96' and he told me if it was an SRT, he could have me in the trunk in about 5 seconds. Instead I had to wait an hour for someone to bring me my spare key.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what model viper are you talking about, SRT ?
if its a gen1 i can get you in less than a minute with no damage

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it's a 2004 srt-10.
I called the guy that the gentelman in the 1st reply refered me to but he was on the road and won't be back until monday. He said its and easy fix- apply power to a specific wire and bingo!
But on monday I think i can get a key made by the dealer with my vin #- right???
-Marc

xyyman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do sypathise having done the same thing (I have a 2004 SRT). Unfortunately this was as the result of a customs search en route to France. Being stuck in no mans land at Dover Docks with a ferry to catch, desparate measures were called for. There was an onsite emergency crew who lent me a slide hammer which screwed into the lock so I could pull out the centre and release the lid and retrieve the key . I was not happy!!! Interestingly there is a manual release on the INSIDE of the boot/trunk, presumeably in case you lock yourself inside! Anyhow when I get the lcok replaced I shall modify this release to operate in a hidden place outside.

Phil

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line no way to get in......
I did the same thing and I now I have the key on a long chain which I wrap around my neck when I leave the car. The guys at VCO laughed their heads off when this happened to me...........
Patrick

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neil, whats the secret to getting in a Gen 1? I hope I never do it again, but with my luck, I will. I had stopped to put my softtop on b/c it was looking like it was about to rain, and thats when I locked mine in the trunk. Sitting on a deserted interstate exit when youre on vacation waiting on a spare key (thank God I had taken my spare and left it at the hotel) is no fun. TIA

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW!!!! Thanks TOM!!! And thanks chad for his #
Getting in was easier that 1-2-3
just use a paperclip put it into the grey box next to the black one on the drivers side (3rd wire from the engine) and put a wire to the jumper lead and paper clip and BAM...the trunk opens-LOL
_Marc

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Tom also helped me out with the crank bolt- he told me to put my hand down there and check it and what do ya know LOOSE-LOOSE-LOOSE!!!
Damn near had a heart attack-LOL
Since I'm new to ownership I guess there is much to learn here!
-Marc

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neil, whats the secret to getting in a Gen 1? I hope I never do it again, but with my luck, I will. I had stopped to put my softtop on b/c it was looking like it was about to rain, and thats when I locked mine in the trunk. Sitting on a deserted interstate exit when youre on vacation waiting on a spare key (thank God I had taken my spare and left it at the hotel) is no fun. TIA

have sent you the secret, it's saved a few guys on here a lot of aggro :2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'm new to ownership I guess there is much to learn here!
-Marc

I doggone near worshipped Vipers since 92', and since I bought mine this April, I've found out that I didnt know NEARLY all I thought I did about them. This website is the greatest reference a Viper owner can have! I suggest putting Tom and Chuck Tator (1-914-763-3136) if your speeddial just incase you have to have any roadside chats with them like i did.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about clarifying the locked trunk release directions (maybe even pictures of the connectors you are speaking of). That would be great to copy and place in the glove box for future reference.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fix should probably remain a PM'd solution than freely being posted on the board for Viper interested car theives. Good idea? I totally support the idea of passing around the information, just not in a public forum for anyone to see.

Agreed?

Jay K.

ps. Moldowan, Now would be a good time to join your local VCA chapter.

Cheers!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trouble with all this is what the hell do you do when you lock the keys ether in the trunk with the doors locked or lock them inside the car by accident? In my case I had left the keys in the ignition with the doors closed and the windows closed when I disconnected the negitive battery after installing an engine mod and then hooked it back up and closed the trunk. Everything shut down like I had stolen the car! Lucky I was 5 miles from home and went there to find the spare key whic by the way did not want to work in the fender lock. I finally got it to open the fender lock. This spare key had been made by the dealer after he had lost my original spare key.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trouble with all this is what the hell do you do when you lock the keys ether in the trunk with the doors locked or lock them inside the car by accident? In my case I had left the keys in the ignition with the doors closed and the windows closed when I disconnected the negitive battery after installing an engine mod and then hooked it back up and closed the trunk. Everything shut down like I had stolen the car! Lucky I was 5 miles from home and went there to find the spare key whic by the way did not want to work in the fender lock. I finally got it to open the fender lock. This spare key had been made by the dealer after he had lost my original spare key.

I can sympathize with you in this situation, However...

Howzabout' carrying a spare in your wallet or if you bundle your credit cards together with a rubberband, slide a spare in between them. Some mNfrs (just to be clear lol!) will make credit card templates that can be popped out in a pinch to be used in emergency.

Best 'o luck,

:2tu:

Jay K.

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fix should probably remain a PM'd solution than freely being posted on the board for Viper interested car theives. Good idea? I totally support the idea of passing around the information, just not in a public forum for anyone to see.

Agreed?

Jay K.

Cheers!

Yeah I thought of that when i posted, Thats why i was a bit vague on the details.
Is there a south texas VCA chapter? where do I fing this Info?
Thanks,
-Marc

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of a viper stolen by trunk access, plus I think to hot-wire the latch you need to be under the hood.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed?

Jay K.

Cheers!

Yeah I thought of that when i posted, Thats why i was a bit vague on the details.
Is there a south texas VCA chapter? where do I fing this Info?
Thanks,
-Marc

Marc,

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_members_regions.htm

You've got a VERY active Region for Vipers and some great people too!

Jay K.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife carries the spare key with her when we are on trips. It would be nice if all of us were PM ed the solution to this problem, if there is one. If one was to pop the hood the alarm will go off. Would there be a way to jump the wiring under the hood so as to turn off the alarm and open the locks? Are the wires from the fender switch located under the hood? It would be nice if DC helped with this problem thru a PM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave