Looking for a fast bleed lifter

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Anyone out there hang on to their old lifters when they upgraded? I'm doing an engine rebuild and had one cam lobe with a flat spot that damaged a lifter. Don't want to replace the whole set as they are rather costly, so looking to just replace the one, but they are very hard to find/expensive ($150+ for just one). Looking for a stock "fast bleed" lifter out of a gen 3, though I think they were the same from 2000-2006. Anyone out there have some good used ones they'd be willing to part with?

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Well, won't be needing one anymore. Just sucked it up and bought a whole new set of lifters. If my motor didn't have 126,000 miles on it I would have probably tried harder to replace just the one. Figured if I'm in there I might as well just do it since I hope to not have to open it up again for another 126,000 miles or more.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoparMap I was just wondering why you stayed with the fast bleed lifters, if I had my motor apart I would go with a mild cam and lifter up grade.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I am going with a cam upgrade, but it didn't necessitate a lifter upgrade. Was only wanting to replace what was broken as the factory lifters have been nice pieces and they were recommended over aftermarket from my cam guy. I was trying to keep costs down as every time I took a part off the engine I was finding something else that could stand to be replaced. I ended up going with a set of the Mopar gen 1/2 lifters because I could actually find them and the price was reasonable.

I've waffled a lot on this build as I've always toyed with the idea of a heads and cam upgrade on my car because of the impressive power numbers that have been posted and wanting to stay NA, but I know the reality is that I would rarely ever use that power aside from once or twice a year and I daily my car and have put tons of miles on it. If I started upgrading the engine it would mean needing to upgrade everything else down the line so I'm not breaking transmissions or halfshafts next. The stockish power level has been super reliable and never caused me to worry.

I actually wasn't even going to replace the cam, but when I went I found the one flat spot it kinda changed the direction of the rebuild a bit.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats cool, the gen 1-2 lifters are great, did not read the post carefully. To flatten a roller cam, the lifter roller must have froze, when all is good on a roller cam they last for ever. Anyway the build sounds good, have fun with the car.:)

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not really sure what happened on that one lobe. It's not totally flat, just one small flat spot. The lifter was a bit rough, but didn't have a matching flat spot. Don't know how long it had been like that though. I spun a rod bearing, so could have happened around the same time due to reduced oiling.

This was supposed to be a quick and easy rebuild where I just fixed the crank and put new bearings in, but with 126,000 on the clock there were several other wear parts I decided to replace while I was in there, whether they really needed it or not. The two rods on the one journal that went were pretty toasty, so ended up with two new rod/piston assemblies since that was the easier way to buy them. Went ahead and got a new timing set and rings while in there as well. Later found the oil pump rotors were looking a little rough and then found the cam and lifter issue. Dropped the heads off to get them cleaned up and found out some of my guides were worn beyond spec. At this point though I've had everything all the way apart so I'm pretty sure I'm done finding new damage, or at least I hope so. Starting putting the short block back together while I wait for the rest of the new parts to show up. Hoping to have a car again by the end of the month if things go well.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You did a good job checking things, with 126,000 on the clock you have really enjoyed the car, after the rebuild you should be good to go for a long time. Please let us know how its running when you are finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave