low idle

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi, i know there was a thread on this before, but i cant find it anymore. my viper idles at 500rpm which i was told was low. i was advised to clean out something that was on the driver's side (i think) of the throttle body. anybody know what in the world i am talking about, and what other advise is there to get this idling right. i have no starting/driving/idling issues except that i hear 500rpm isnt right

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle Air Controller. Have you hooked up a data logger to see what the RPM really is compared to the gauge? Mine looks like 500 , but it's really more like 650-700 when I data log.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi, i know there was a thread on this before, but i cant find it anymore. my viper idles at 500rpm which i was told was low. i was advised to clean out something that was on the driver's side (i think) of the throttle body. anybody know what in the world i am talking about, and what other advise is there to get this idling right. i have no starting/driving/idling issues except that i hear 500rpm isnt right

Which hash mark on the rpm gauge?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle Air Controller. Have you hooked up a data logger to see what the RPM really is compared to the gauge? Mine looks like 500 , but it's really more like 650-700 when I data log.
ahhh, the IAC rings a bell. I think i was suppose to look at that. isnt that on one side of one of the throttle body's?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IAC is on pass side. Two annoying little screw to pop it off. I have no idea if you are, but if you're modded then 500rpm can be normal.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mark on the tach you are probably calling 500 is actually 750. Look at it again. The mark almost to the bottom is 500. The one below that is 250. And the final mark is 0.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modded is an overstatement. As far as i know it's smooth tubes and exhaust. Could be at 750...i will have to look again. thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456