lowering springs: looking for before and after pics

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of a car WITHOUT lowering springs and antoher picture of the SAME car AFTER installation? The gap on my 98 GTS is getting the best of me...I want to see how much a set of lowering springs can actually lower the car and see if I would be happy with it.

Thanks!!

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before
You must be registered for see images

after

spring caps also...

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search there are tons of threads regarding this question.

:usa:

Thanks...I tried searching some but I would always come up with different cars/different wheels...I was trying to find one that had kept same wheels with a before and after...came up with nothing... :(

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive done both and i think youll be happy with just the springs..the lower you go the rougher the ride plus youll be scraping that front lip under the bumper.

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive done both and i think youll be happy with just the springs..the lower you go the rougher the ride plus youll be scraping that front lip under the bumper.
Thanks for the feedback...that is probably the main reason why I have kept myself from pulling the plug. The rougher ride does not bug me too much...but scraping everywhere would definitely keep me from doing it.

What exactly do the "caps" do anyway?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.........
What exactly do the "caps" do anyway?

Spring Caps will lower all 4 corners by .7" with only a $179 cost (plus aligment) and a LOT less labor. In a nutshell: the OE spring caps above the spring are "thicker" by .7" than our billet aluminum replacements. The RIDE stays the same but the lower CG makes the handling a bit quicker-responsive.

Just jack up the car, compress the spring, rotate/slide out the old cap, slip in the new. Release the spring. Repeat 3 more times. Realign. DONE !

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spring Caps will lower all 4 corners by .7" with only a $179 cost (plus aligment) and a LOT less labor. In a nutshell: the OE spring caps above the spring are "thicker" by .7" than our billet aluminum replacements. The RIDE stays the same but the lower CG makes the handling a bit quicker-responsive.

Just jack up the car, compress the spring, rotate/slide out the old cap, slip in the new. Release the spring. Repeat 3 more times. Realign. DONE !

Thanks...I don't know if the .7" will be enough for my 4X4...how much do the springs actually lower it?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured my gap in the front before and after and the drop was right on 1.25 inches. I know someone who did caps alone and you really can not tell it was lowered. Go with springs and adjust the stock Konis Dampner stiffer, it will give ya a stiffer ride too.

R

RTED

It seems the gap above the rear tire is more evident than the front. Can you do the rear only?:dunno:

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:
I measured my gap in the front before and after and the drop was right on 1.25 inches. I know someone who did caps alone and you really can not tell it was lowered. Go with springs and adjust the stock Konis Dampner stiffer, it will give ya a stiffer ride too.

Thanks man...this might do the trick...what brand of springs did you get and how much where they?

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spring caps do NOT lower .7" that is total BS. more like .25"

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:

Thanks man...this might do the trick...what brand of springs did you get and how much where they?

I used Intrax springs for my car because Eibach's are no longer available for Gen I's. Cost was $180. I would agree Eibach's would be a great choice for your car and cost around $280. Make sure when you put the Eibachs on you adjust the Dampners on the stock Koni's. I was told to push the shock all the way in with the rubber stop off, turn the shock clockwise until it stops, then turn out 3 half turns.

Ed

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks everyone for their feedback and sharing pics. Now I have to decide how long I am going to keep this car and if doing a drop is going to make me keep it longer...or if I can find a dealer that can give me $ 35k on trade, I might just make a jump on a new ACR...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spring caps do NOT lower .7" that is total BS. more like .25"

I've wondered about the actual difference. I've read .5", .7", .625" in the classifieds, etc. Which is it on stock springs?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you that have slammed your Vipers had to put them on a flatbed truck yet? I have loaded a couple of Vipers that were stock or lowered a bit and they were tough enough. I can't even imagine how you would get a slammed Viper up on the truck without damaging the front end.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same as Baz above - just caps. Thought i'd try them first before considering springs and despite being just .5" drop, it's made enough difference. Touched the deck a few times at stock height, now i have to be far more careful... don't need to go lower.
before

after

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 1996 gts had 17" i went with 05 five spoke 18" on front 19" on back looks like i lower it
'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth