Lug Nuts - Track/Street use ?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to replace the two piece OEM lug nuts with the Gorilla Acorn Bulge lug nuts, part # 41187, as recommended in several places in the archives.

Having received and inspected the aftermarket lug nuts, I'm concerned that the contact area between the nut and Wheel appears to be about 2/3 of what the stock nut provides. Although I don't like the two piece construction of the stock part, I don't want to increase the stress on the BBS wheels and possibly cause a crack.

Has anyone using aftermarket lug nuts had any problems with their wheels?

Are there any opinions from the track crowd?

Is there another aftermarket, one-piece solution with the same contact area as the OEM part?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I don't like the two piece construction of the stock part

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
A

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the contact width is 0.20" with the Dodge lug nut and 0.15" with the aftermarket Gorilla 41187 lug nut. My old luts were pretty scarred up, and I read that the outer piece can break up. My luck would be that it would happen while changing a flat in the middle of nowhere. So I decided to go with what I thought would be an improvement. Maybe not.

The first image shows where my marking material was rubbed off by the contact with the wheel.
9783lug_nuts3.JPG

9783Lug_Nuts.JPG

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found that the after market lug nuts rusted over time, were the socket made contact with them.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The outer "looks" part can separate from the lug nut at the track's high loads....been there.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What wrong with the two piece? the outer is just for looks.
Air tools will destroy the two-piece nuts, in my experience with my Durango - they will strip off the outer "looks" portion, leaving you with a nut that is slightly smaller than the normal lugnut size (I've de-constructed six or seven so far). As a result, I don't use my air tools on the Viper lugs, but it is (in my opinion) a stupid way to constuct a lug nut.

OP
OP
A

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What causes the smaller contact area? Is the bevel angle slightly different? It seems the smaller contact would make a difference in torquing strength but I'm no engineer.

The angles appear the same, but maybe it only takes a fraction of a degree difference to cause this. The only reason I looked into it is because the available contact area on the angled surface was much smaller on the afterrmarket lug nut. I'm wondering if I am just over-analyzing things, but I don't want to induce a problem. Perhaps no one notices this and never had an issue.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, aftermarket parts appear to solve one problem but end up causing another. I agree with your analysis regarding contact area. Your picture appears to show a smaller O.D. on the Gorilla nut, which would explain the decrease in contact area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave