maintanance

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 12,000 miles on my 2003. What service is commonly due now? What about plugs and wires?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, did you miss a rough debate about this not to long ago. I was in the read your manual and do it by the book crowd, and many others got in to the science of lubricants, and the marketing aspects of "we'll be happy to sell you those expensive maintenance parts."

In case you missed MY 2 cents worth... Read your owner's manual for the answer.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont have my book with me, but I dont think plugs are technically due until 30k or something like that. But being that the car is almost 4 years old, I'd probably do alot of the things based on time rather then mileage.
Personally, I drive mine hard and so I did plugs at 10k, changed to what I heard was a better plug. Im at about 12k also, getting ready to change brake fluid, clutch fluid and rear end gear oil. And do a change of tranny fluid, about 3-4 qts comes out. So its just minor stuff, but gives me piece of mind. You might change your airfilters too, either just stock replacements, or upgrade to a better filter like the green filters.

If you follow the book, it will give you time or mileage guidelines, and people will always debate about that. I do things earlier then the factory recomends on my sports cars or sports bikes. They get alot of hard miles and track time. But on my daily drivers and our SUV, I follow the book.

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have my book with me, but I dont think plugs are technically due until 30k or something like that. But being that the car is almost 4 years old, I'd probably do alot of the things based on time rather then mileage.
Personally, I drive mine hard and so I did plugs at 10k, changed to what I heard was a better plug. Im at about 12k also, getting ready to change brake fluid, clutch fluid and rear end gear oil. And do a change of tranny fluid, about 3-4 qts comes out. So its just minor stuff, but gives me piece of mind. You might change your airfilters too, either just stock replacements, or upgrade to a better filter like the green filters.

If you follow the book, it will give you time or mileage guidelines, and people will always debate about that. I do things earlier then the factory recomends on my sports cars or sports bikes. They get alot of hard miles and track time. But on my daily drivers and our SUV, I follow the book.

What plugs did you change to? Did you change the wires at the same time?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What plugs did you change to? Did you change the wires at the same time?

I went to the Autolite XP985's. Did not change wires,inspected them, looked fine. you have to remove intake to change wires , I didnt want to get into that much time, I feel plug wires should be good still. And at the time AB didnt have his wires for SRT yet, but if they are available, when time comes i'll use AB's wires.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change the brake fluid it's about time and since you live in the north it is due

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJim, If it was me I would change the plugs to Autolite XP985's and change all the fluids including the brake fluid, trans and diff lube, and the engine oil and filter. I would also change the antifreeze. The plug wire should be ok as I have 20,000 miles on a factory set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62