Major differences: 96 GTS vs newer GTSs

Reaction score
I really like the 2001 yellow RT, but am considering a GTS instead. However, the one that always sticks out to me the most is the 1996 Blue with white stripes GTS. The question I have is, are there really any major changes from the 96 GTS and the newer GTSs? Is there any reason for my to not purchase a 96 GTS instead of a newer one? Thanks in advance.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only significant change is ABS. Better get that 96 now before the prices rise with the demise of the GTS, perhaps forever.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See Jon B's "the Year matters" in one of the recent "Viper" mags. I seem to recall a few more differences between the GTSs.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too had a simalar decision to make.. i went with the new 2001
first, no miles you break her in.
second, abs; it stops on a dime
third, the color and styling of the r/t10 is unreal!! ultimate
summer car.
fourth, (may get flack on this one)i think the resale of a yellow
2001 r/t may be better than the 96 used blue and white because there seems to be so many of them due to the 97 run of blue and white.. even here in the buffalo ny area i have seen 3 blue and whites...

my advice take the 2001 yellow r/t

smile.gif

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are not a lot of significant changes in the Viper since 01. Cast pistons in 00 and ABS in 01 are the major ones. Your choice should probably come down to these issues:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Old vs New -- Do you want a car that you absolutely know that wasn't abused and is in perfect condition? And are you willing to pay for that? Or is the option of saving $15-20K or more over new more palatable?
<LI>Color Choice -- Since 96, there have been only 2 or 3 colors available each model year. If you want a Blue & White, it's 96 or 97. Period. End of story. Same for 98-99 if you want silver or 99-00 if you want black. (Of course, you can get Red any year.)
<LI>RT/10 vs GTS -- This is a religious choice. There are lots of fervent opinions for each.
[/list]

The Viper's not like, say, a Z06 Corvette, where, if you rushed out and bought that 2001 Z06, you're now wanting to unload it and get a 2002 because there will be an additional 20 HP. There are some differences between a 1996 and a 2001, but not enough to really dictate a choice. (OK, maybe ABS, if you can't bear the thought of driving without it.) So if color choice is very important, you can let that dictate the year and not worry about if the new ones are better.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">In my opinion, if you're passionate about color, as I was, go with it. There still are pristine examples of every year Viper available if you look and you'll save money to boot (vs. new). As everyone else has said, ABS is the only change that matters from '96 ~ '01.

However.....</FONT f>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
If you buy the early GTS, make sure that the previous owner has fixed the rear air pressurization vent flaps so the back glass isn't sucked/pressurized out of the car (really).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">As the proud & somewhat informed owner of a 1996 GTS, this is the first I'm hearing of faulty vent flaps. Anyone have more details?

</FONT f>

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
William;

I can tell you from my personal experience that my 01'RT-10 drives better than my silver 98' RT-10. There is a noticeable difference between these two years to me. I bought both cars brand new, and broke them in as suggested on this board.

So what is different? I am not qualified to give technical info, but the low speed driving is greatly improved to me. My 98' was noticeably "jerky", as if it wanted me to go faster or slow down. I changed rear end ratio from factory .307 to Mopar .355 and was much happier around town.

My 01' feels like the rear gears have already been changed, but they are not. Apparently (from knowledgeable folks on this board) the 01' has a different cam set-up or cam timing improvement. Whatever it is, it is a real improvement to me. The more tech wise members here can tell you what was done, I am sure.

My 01' also has bigger wheels than my 98' by 1" (I believe they are 18" now). The ride seems much better, and the handling less darty.

These are just my feelings, but having bought both Vipers new, I can say that to me the driving is just so much better and more relaxed. Others may say I am hallucinating, but I believe someone will be able to explain the improvements properly. In any case, you will thoroughly enjoy your Viper. I am fortunate to have have taken delivery of my cars when they were brand new.

Jim

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am still undecided as to what I want to do. But the two choices are the blue with white stripes GTS and the new yellow RT. I am mainly basing it on color selection. I am glad to see that the only real differences between the newer and older GTSs are the wheels and ABS. I am currently driving a car without ABS (Prowler), so that really isn't enough to change anything for me. Once again, thanks for all the advice and help.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few other differences between years:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>'98 saw the 2nd generation airbags (passenger side could be disabled)
<LI>'99 added power outside mirrors
<LI>'99 added remote hatch release
[/list]
Pretty minor stuff really. BTW, you will find a number of Vipers for sale with upgraded brakes- something you should keep in mind.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not forget --- power mirrors!

I was pleasantly surprised at my 00 when I saw it. The newer ones also have a trunk release.

Steve

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the disable for the passenger airbag. 96' didn't come with it if you have small kids. I love the cam in my 96 gts TOO....# 351.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Minor cooling system mods to the '98 and later years - specifically with the thermostat housing. In '99, the fan & shroud module was upgraded. Minor spring/shock/swaybar rate changes thru the years. Evap canister relocate to rear of car in '99 or '00. Interior textures & minor trim changes, along with the option of Connolly leather. Front fascia changed with the loss of fog lamp lenses. '96 and I think '97 had wider stripes than later models. I like the wide ones better.

The rear air extractors have a rubber flap over them, probably to keep wash water out of the interior. There have been a few instances of these flaps sticking shut with major inside/outside pressure differentials (like going pretty darn fast). Instead of venting high cabin pressure out the tailight corner extractors, the rear hatch glass parts company with a boom. Fixing or checking this merely requires the removal of the tailight panel and lifting the flaps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62