Man...the Gen V can't catch a break (Another bad video review)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to hand it to Chevrolet for producing such a great base car. It can only push everyone else to up the ante. Great job.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need Bob Lutz out of retirement. Put Gilles under him and let Gilles handle the refinement category. Give Lutz the performance hammer. Cue the return of the King.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't make me want to sell my Viper to buy a C7. I might buy both, however. Think about it, there are far more expensive cars out there that perform worse than the Viper does, but people still desire/buy them.

No biggie.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I never have put much stock in Edmunds performance reviews.

I think the C7 is a winner, but in reality their reviews just aren't up to par.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The written article in the other thread paints the Viper much better than the video review. IMO if I wanted a performance car where I could see 3 others just like me sitting at a stoplight I would have bought a C7. But I like the idea of being original and the article puts it best, it's like driving in your very own one car parade with the attention it gets. Only an exotic will deliver an experience like that, not a 20k unit per year mass produced car, no matter how it performs. And damnit performance IS important in a car like this, to me trap speed differences of 10mph trumps a stopping distance difference of 10 feet.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper just looks so much better than the vette in this video. This is not an apples to apples comparison but I will say that you can build a Z51 with performance exhaust and selective ride control for like $58k and they already have discounts so it should be interesting to see how quickly they come to the table with a widebody and more hp for what maybe another $20k. SRT is going to have to come up with a clean sheet design with a rear transaxle at some point or they just won't be competitive at any price point.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amount of development and refinement that a volume ride like the C7 gets is probably multiples of the time and investment that go into a car like the Viper. Not that the SRT boys aren't good.....but if you can dedicate 3-4x the number of people, testing time and refinement work to a car that's expected to sell 50,000+ units.....its likely to be better sorted when it hits showrooms than one which is engineered and built to support 2000 unit per year.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new base C7 is looking to be a fantastic car. Unlike many here, I like Corvettes, and I think this one is a winner. Will out-perform my Gen 3. As NineBall said, I'd like to have both...too bad I can't afford it!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Plus you figure any advanced technology or materials gets cost split over a much larger product base, so buyers don't necessarily see quite the same price hit. What might be a $5000 upcharge on a Viper may be more like $2000 on a Vette by the sheer quantity sold. If you just want the fatest for the money it's hard to beat a Vette, but the Viper is still a much cooler car in my opinion. Seeing a Vette on the road isn't special anymore. The new ones will be for a while, but when you start seeing them all the time it wears off. The GT-R is similar in that respect to me. Pretty affordable for the amazing performance it offers, but not really that standout in a crowd for styling and from what I hear almost boring to drive.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new base C7 is looking to be a fantastic car. Unlike many here, I like Corvettes, and I think this one is a winner. Will out-perform my Gen 3. As NineBall said, I'd like to have both...too bad I can't afford it!

I think most here have respect for the Corvette. You get the few dummies who hate everything but what they personally own.

The C7 high performance variant will be a complete monster.

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corvette is a great car for the money.....However, to me...the Viper is so much more exciting, unique , and rare....and provides a multiude of unique feelings that you just cant get from any corvette....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all fairness to the Viper, the one consistent theme in the vast majority of these automotive rags is that they just don't seem to have driver's with a big enough set to drive the car. I wonder if they are intimidated by the reputation or does the car just feel squirrely at the limits:dunno: I have a feeling that a guy like Farnbacher would destroy any of the times these wannabe's are producing.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette is a great car for the money.....However, to me...the Viper is so much more exciting, unique , and rare....and provides a multiude of unique feelings that you just cant get from any corvette....

No question... I've driven C6 coupes and Z's and they're pretty boring compared to a Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all fairness to the Viper, the one consistent theme in the vast majority of these automotive rags is that they just don't seem to have driver's with a big enough set to drive the car. I wonder if they are intimidated by the reputation or does the car just feel squirrely at the limits:dunno: I have a feeling that a guy like Farnbacher would destroy any of the times these wannabe's are producing.

I don't see why, I was worried about the car first getting it and really, it isn't that difficult to drive at all. Granted, I havent't taken it to excessive speeds.

I was crusing backroads last weekend and could have had a bad mishap (too much gas after coming through a corner), but I believe traction control probably saved it all. I think the TC system helps those new to the platform learn the limits.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weekends ago I was at Laguna Seca for the historic races. Chevy had at least 15 or more C7's in the paddock for display, Bondurant had his cars there, Ron Fellows school, etc. Bondurant just received 22 cars for their school. I've got a couple of contacts there, it will be interesting to see how the cars hold up with the new technology.

Here is what I felt after getting to look at the new cars under multiple angles, different lighting and the cars running around the track between races. I felt no desire for the look of the car. I was actually surprised that I prefer the look of a lowered C6 Z06. Now if somebody lowers a C7 and puts some nice rims on it, maybe the car will appeal to me from the looks department. Maybe a wide body version of the C7 will catch my eye, but as of now, I can't believe how the looks of the car did nothing for me. They also had a targa version of the C7 there with the roof off and it looked the worse to me than the coupe.

But, they did have a convertible C7 there with the soft top in the up position and to me, that car looked great. The top looked very much like a Ferrari F430 top, very angular and perfect compliments to the lines of the C7. Since it did not slant back like the coupes roof line, it stood out as the best looking C7 in Monterey IMO.

The performance of the C7 in the above video is impressive. I can't wait to drive one to get some feel of how the car drives. But, as it stands now, I look at the C7 as a wife that looks "ok" but is really good at cooking and taking care of the house. I see the Gen 5 as a wife that looks like a super model, is super **** but has no clue in the kitchen....thankfully she knows how to make reservations.

Cheers,
George

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"But, as it stands now, I look at the C7 as a wife that looks "ok" but is really good at cooking and taking care of the house. I see the Gen 5 as a wife that looks like a super model, is super **** but has no clue in the kitchen....thankfully she knows how to make reservations."

This is the BEST description I have ready anywhere in a long time. Perfect!

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to hand it to Chevrolet for producing such a great base car. It can only push everyone else to up the ante. Great job.
I will wait until I see one in person so I can verify if the C7 looks as cheap and flimzie as all previous corvette since 1968 People may have stated that the Gen 1,2,3,4 may have a plain looking interior but never cheaply looking like all corvettes after the C3

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All it takes is cubic money! The SRT simply didn't have the resources to put into Vipers reintro that GM had to do the C7. The money wasn't there to do everything. For example GM built a fleet of 202 cars just to do road endurance quality testing. I don't think SRT has that kind of money - yet.

Second, the testers are looking for a car that is within their capability to drive. Most of the testers are writters of little driving skill. Here I have a real delima. On one hand I believe it would be nice for almost anyone to be able to drive the Viper at the nine tenths level ( whatever that means) and at the same time I'd like to see that last little bit require some level of skill. Yet, there is no boubt in my mind that the C7 is easier to drive at its limit, ev en with the electronics shut off as much as possible. FWIS some of that comes from the tires GM uses. Should the Viper be easier to drive at its limit? :dunno:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C7 is really awesome and for thousands less. GM has come a LONG way since the old Vette days. The video is a good measure and Im sure the Vette guys are loving this one too. Also the video is not about "looks" comparison but about performance.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One important detail to me that Edmunds didn't mention is what tires and brakes each car had.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well The Viper was clearly in another realm in terms of looks. It won that hands down in my book as easily as it dominated the acceleration test. However, you cant discount the "base" Vettes ability to out slolom and out brake the Viper with less rubber and more weight.

One can only imagine what that bodes for the Viper when the inevitable Z06 and possibly a new ZR1 drops. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Corvettes are not taking the back seat anymore to the Viper anymore. Those days are over. SRT has to step up their game big time in the future. Great first effort at a "modern" Viper with the Gen 5 but they will have to get more serious performance-wise in the near future. These reviews, however unpalatable, do form a pattern that cant be ignored by even the hardest core Viperholic as evidenced by recent threads.

It would seem the base Vettes suspension and brake setup is a bit better sorted then the Vipers. Not sure but doesn't the Viper have the superior tire in this compare??? "If" so then the Viper losing to the Vette that's shod with a lesser tire, in compound and size, in the slalom and braking possibly speaks volumes imho.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One important detail to me that Edmunds didn't mention is what tires and brakes each car had.

Bingo. It looks to be a stripped SRT with P Zeros and the non track pack brakes. Knowing SRT's track record so to speak, the brakes were probably not bedded.

Still, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Corvette design team. It is sure to be a remarkable performer, especially at it's price.

Lap times on a road course are the best measure of whether the Viper meets it's intended purpose, not a skid pad or slalom. And on the road course, the Viper will walk away from the base C7 Vette. The next Z06 or whatever they call it will be damned good on the track, and will give the Viper a run for it's money.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't understand why SRT keeps sending these base cars to these tests. And with no track pack? As others have said that gives it a brake and tire disadvantage to the corvette, who's running on ultra sticky pilot super sports. I know it's still comparing apples to oranges, but most people don't read into that. This is not a good result for SRT.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't understand why SRT keeps sending these base cars to these tests. And with no track pack? As others have said that gives it a brake and tire disadvantage to the corvette, who's running on ultra sticky pilot super sports. I know it's still comparing apples to oranges, but most people don't read into that. This is not a good result for SRT.
If the Viper had a track pack and had won, the article would have read "Viper wins but needs optional tires and brakes to out run the stock Corvette." Equally not as good.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm thinking the next z06, or z07 as many have reported, will be more of direct attack at the viper. A potential zr1, which is still pretty far off will likely be aimed at a future ACR which is pretty far off. According to allpar the viper is scheduled to have an update/refresh in 2015..... Let the games begin.