Max HP with cast pistons

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys and gals, I need some information from those who know.
I really need more power in my 2000 GTS! I sold my 94 Paxton blown Viper a year ago and really miss the extra HP.
As all of you know, 2000 Vipers have cast pistons and that is what I have. Over the winter, if time allows, I want to install a Paxton blower but am a little scared because of what it may do to my motor. I don't want to have forged pistons installed so I am wondering how much horsepower can cast pistons can handle? I would love to be at 550-575 to the wheels but am a little hesitant to take the plunge until I get more informed. :dunno:
Please help!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya never know but id say you'll be ok at that power level and most i think will agree

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 20,000 miles, including some track time on my 5 pound Roe cast piston car. With the 1.7 roller rockers, I'm sure I'm close to those numbers, maybe a little more as our other 5 pounder has a 554 RWHP dyno sheet .......and the 00 car is quite a bit quicker to me. Zero issues -- 74,000 miles on the car total. The 01 car has 8,000 miles on the same set up (minus roller rockers) and zero issues as well. With 3.45s and a light flywheel, I run the Gingerman track all the way around in 4th gear. Plenty of grunt. I can break the back end loose tracking out on any corner there, out pull stock 3rd gear Vipers on the straights, and RPMs stay between 2200 and 5200. Easy on the engine. Works great!!

Steve

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really need more power in my 2000 GTS! I sold my 94 Paxton blown Viper a year ago and really miss the extra HP.
As all of you know, 2000 Vipers have cast pistons and that is what I have. Over the winter, if time allows, I want to install a Paxton blower but am a little scared because of what it may do to my motor. I don't want to have forged pistons installed so I am wondering how much horsepower can cast pistons can handle? I would love to be at 550-575 to the wheels but am a little hesitant to take the plunge until I get more informed. :dunno:
Please help!!
I think you will be just fine, but remember you just may want more Hp later on, if you put forged piston in now you have the option of getting a ton more horse by just switching a pulley, just something to think about

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please help!!

Striker heads/cam/headers/exhaust..... 580-600 rwhp NA....

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By adding these things, I will gain as much as a 5# blower? WOW!! I already have the exhaust minus the headers and I assume that you are talking about the 708 cam but where would I look into Stryker heads? Does anything need to be done to the computer? You have really peaked my interest in going this route so any info would be great.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score

By adding these things, I will gain as much as a 5# blower? WOW!! I already have the exhaust minus the headers and I assume that you are talking about the 708 cam but where would I look into Stryker heads? Does anything need to be done to the computer? You have really peaked my interest in going this route so any info would be great.

N/A build is the way to go. Do that first, then if you need more power, you can bolt a TT on it without worry to the engine. Search for Camfabs thread about whats going on in garage. Hes using a stock computer. Besides with the SCT flash tuner out now, the VEC is obsolete. And cheaper than the AEM if you arent going to monitor too many functions and arent going to need to make many adjustments.

I am at this crossroads as well. Which engine builder is my problem right now.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the Roe Blower with 5lb. and water/**** inj. and cast pistons in my 01, and they started to break up, when the water/**** inj. hoses came undone at the joints, and sprayed my engine compartment, and not the intake where it belonged. I noticed something was wrong, when my car started getting bent sparkplug electrodes. Did compression checks, and was down in 6 cylinders. Have rebuilt total motor with forged pistons big valve heads etc., and have gone NA I am still breaking it in, but will be shooting for 530-540 at rear wheels? With the Roe Blower, my rear wheels almost never hooked up good, and heat was always an issue, so I am hoping this car can be more of a cruising car.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be the ballpark price for Striker heads and cam?

And would "Striker heads/cam/headers/exhaust" really get 600 hp at the wheel on a Gen II?

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the Roe Blower with 5lb. and water/**** inj. and cast pistons in my 01, and they started to break up, when the water/**** inj. hoses came undone at the joints, and sprayed my engine compartment, and not the intake where it belonged. I noticed something was wrong, when my car started getting bent sparkplug electrodes. Did compression checks, and was down in 6 cylinders. Have rebuilt total motor with forged pistons big valve heads etc., and have gone NA I am still breaking it in, but will be shooting for 530-540 at rear wheels? With the Roe Blower, my rear wheels almost never hooked up good, and heat was always an issue, so I am hoping this car can be more of a cruising car.

He is actually thinking of going with a centrifugal blower, not an Autorotor twin screw. The TQ curve would be more beneficial on the way he is thinking over the twin screw. And he wouldnt have the heat soak issues.

Good luck with your new setup, I think you will be happier.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 pound Roe twin screw -- 3.45 gears -- light flywheel -- 586 RWTQ down low -- PERFECT!

Heat soak -- none I'm aware of. I thought centrifugal SCs were susceptible to heat soak as well? The nice thing about the Roe is you can do it yourself.

Steve

......PS2s definitely help the hook up part. No comparison to the last version of MPS tires.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please help!!

"From what I hear", you should be fine up to 650 max on cast pistions.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
5 pound Roe twin screw -- 3.45 gears -- light flywheel -- 586 RWTQ down low -- PERFECT!

Heat soak -- none I'm aware of. I thought centrifugal SCs were susceptible to heat soak as well? The nice thing about the Roe is you can do it yourself.

Steve

......PS2s definitely help the hook up part. No comparison to the last version of MPS tires.

The centrifugal doesnt sit on top of the engine, and in THIS application can be intercooled, thats the difference in reference to heat soak. I also think hes referring to the TQ at the hit. An Autorotor curve peaks quicker than a centrifugal. The Paxton is a DIY kit, and there are some DIY TT kits out there as well.

If the twin screw in this application had 2 IATs and an intercooler/heat exchanger setup, I believe some of the temperture compensation tuning problems would not exist.

Sorry, Im getting off track in the thread. Seems as if the consensus is 600-650 for the answer.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies guys, very useful. As of now, I am leaning towards N/A; seems the safer route and less expensive.

I have not Dynoed my car but I am Expecting ~600 RWHP, Striker heads shaved to 66CC (gives 11.1 to 1 CR with the new stile OEM head gasket), 1.7 rockers, Striker street cam, UD pulleys, Blanger headers, Corsa Exhaust, 3" Random HF cats, Smooth tubes, Green Filters, RPS Flywheel, 3.55 gears, Even with 355/25R19 rear tires the car is a real handful to drive on the street, no traction at all in 1st or 2nd gears. I would not want any more power in a RWD car on street tires.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Might be alittle aggressive tune, but with that set-up you should be at atleast 550-560rwhp, which with 3.33 rear gear you can run the rest of the car stock and not worry about anything breaking. Also Matt probably forgot to throw 1.7RR in there to go with the heads. If you think you will be happy with 550-600rwp why put a blower on and worry about the tune and set-up, cost wise they will be about the same. Plus you have those in place if you want for go forged and build the bottom end down the road.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not Dynoed my car but I am Expecting ~600 RWHP, Striker heads shaved to 66CC (gives 11.1 to 1 CR with the new stile OEM head gasket), 1.7 rockers, Striker street cam, UD pulleys, Blanger headers, Corsa Exhaust, 3" Random HF cats, Smooth tubes, Green Filters, RPS Flywheel, 3.55 gears, Even with 355/25R19 rear tires the car is a real handful to drive on the street, no traction at all in 1st or 2nd gears. I would not want any more power in a RWD car on street tires.

600rwhp even with the 3.55's in there, damn I need a ride. Keep us posted about the dyno. I am saving up, should have the Jesel RR soon, I have the headers and cat-back, need to get hi-flows. And I have a guy that will do my heads for me, cam I am going to stick with my stock (96GTS) cam!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nitrous is the cheapest. $1500 gets you 300hp. And it works like a Roe - no waiting.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth