Mini Gen V In the Works?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't (wellhope not) think you'd see a Vet build out of the Viper, where there are three models of the same car performance wise.

I think it would just be a $50k price point performance car under the SRT brand

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't (wellhope not) think you'd see a Vet build out of the Viper, where there are three models of the same car performance wise.

I think it would just be a $50k price point performance car under the SRT brand

Called Mini Viper! If these words are true by Ralph, he is clearly stating it will be a Viper:nono:

“The enthusiast community is starting to recognise SRT as its own thing,” he said.
The other advantage of producing a smaller, more fuel efficient Viper is it would still bring a high-performance model but help the company’s fuel economy targets in the US; car makers in America must meet strict sales-weighted fuel economy targets or face financial penalties.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So long as it isn't a low level Viper I don't see the big deal. There is plenty of room for a GT500/ZL1 fighting stand alone SRT car. The Challenger isn't a real competitor to the top level Mustang or Camaro. Too slow and bulky.

Now if it looks anything like the Viper and is named Viper the world will end. The Viper concept will officially be destroyed. The magnetic polls will shift. Everything will move in reverse. It will be chaos.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not give this article much credence. It doesn't jive well with the other insider info/rumors I'm hearing and, well, it’s from Australia, where everything is upside down.

Plus, many people called the Neon SRT-4 a 'baby Viper' so maybe 'mini viper' is meant in the same fashion in that its only related to the Viper through SRT.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you all might be on the wrong page.
They used the word BABY. Not Little Brother....

I'm thinking about something to compete with the class of Miata / BRZ / S2000 / Solstice / Sky.

We have never had an economy lightwieght RWD platform car. The best dodge has done is a Turbo version of the NEON & PTcuriser.
I think the opportunity is there for SRT to enter this segment with a real sports car for this day(and the future) that achieves +35mpg using a tweaked N/A 4-****** paired with a lightwieght body that could benefit from the same manufacturing techniques we are using to incorporate carbonfiber into the GenV Viper.

The Miata has always been the King in this class. However, the Miata has grown heavier & heavier throughout the years. I think it would be a fairly easy task to produce a similar car for a few extra thousand dollars that includes a lot of carbon fiber to make the car as light as possible.

of-course, it would also have some BAD-@$S styling cues form the VIPER:headbang:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of this makes sense, so I'm going to call shenanigans on this one...

SRT is a tiny brand. There is one car, two models. SRT, the nameplate, is on the 300, Charger, Challenger and Grand Cherokee. If the plan to save Dodge's EPA was to move Viper to SRT as a brand, then there is no need for another car. The Cuda is on the horizon, if you haven't checked lately the only two holding it at the strip is the Mustang and the Challenger. But SRT is built on the old Viper philosphy, track cars. Not just at the strip. The only reason the Challenger can sell is it's the only period correct looking retro car out there.

And I can't wait for the Dart.

--RS

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be a rehash of the original Firepower concept car. The goal was to put a hemi into a Viper chassis with a lot of comfort and convenience toys in it. A 'poor man's Aston Martin' was the idea.

The reason why it was deemed needed was to leverage the sunk costs of the Viper and Conner. It could be that if the the Firepower was green lit for 2007, the Viper may not have been discontinued for 2011-2012. It could be their business case for investing in the Traction Control system for the Gen V Viper was predicated on moving more than 2,000 units. Expanding the production to encompass an entry level sports car isn't a bad idea, considering that the new Viper starts at $100k now.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be a rehash of the original Firepower concept car. The goal was to put a hemi into a Viper chassis with a lot of comfort and convenience toys in it. A 'poor man's Aston Martin' was the idea.

The reason why it was deemed needed was to leverage the sunk costs of the Viper and Conner. It could be that if the the Firepower was green lit for 2007, the Viper may not have been discontinued for 2011-2012. It could be their business case for investing in the Traction Control system for the Gen V Viper was predicated on moving more than 2,000 units. Expanding the production to encompass an entry level sports car isn't a bad idea, considering that the new Viper starts at $100k now.
I wonder if something like the Copperhead concept would be reintroduced

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you ever compared the Opel GT to a Vette ,I could see where Ralphs thinking. Some of those Opel GT's were fitted with V-8's and I would love to have one of those!
Datsun 240 Z's were fitted with V8 bowties called Scarab1 and that was an awesome idea as well, IMHO.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, it wasn't called the poor man's Corvette for nothing back in the day and to some it still is.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Geeez,

Miata and Opel GT. Gawd I hope this is not where we are heading. I've had both. Opel GT - also known as the "Poor Man's Vette". Okay for high school back in the 70s I suppose.
Miata - okay for Europe (Mountains in Southern Bavaria) back in the very early 90s. Upon return to the US, I realized all Miata drivers were women. Needed to lose the car (and image) real quick.
Neither of these two cars evoke pure raw terror, however. They are just "Cute".

Viper - every time I take it out of the garage, it reminds me of when I used to command a Tank in the Army . . . "You know you are in control of something that on a nice spring day with the cool breeze blowing and carrying the scent of a half dozen different blossoming flowers and the sound of children playing in the distance, can suddenly turn savage and evoke total "Chaos" on the whole world. I loved my Tank. It was like a battleship on tracked wheels. I love my Viper. It is like a battleship on wheels.

Nothing can change that. Nothing.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't find it now, but Ralph did say something about another SRT exclusive car but that the $s wern't there.:dunno:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you all might be on the wrong page.
They used the word BABY. Not Little Brother....

I'm thinking about something to compete with the class of Miata / BRZ / S2000 / Solstice / Sky.

We have never had an economy lightwieght RWD platform car. The best dodge has done is a Turbo version of the NEON & PTcuriser.
I think the opportunity is there for SRT to enter this segment with a real sports car for this day(and the future) that achieves +35mpg using a tweaked N/A 4-****** paired with a lightwieght body that could benefit from the same manufacturing techniques we are using to incorporate carbonfiber into the GenV Viper.

The Miata has always been the King in this class. However, the Miata has grown heavier & heavier throughout the years. I think it would be a fairly easy task to produce a similar car for a few extra thousand dollars that includes a lot of carbon fiber to make the car as light as possible.

of-course, it would also have some BAD-@$S styling cues form the VIPER:headbang:

I am thinking it is more along the lines of the Dodge Demon concept. It could directly compete with the Miata. Mazda has the market cornered in that segment, which is a pretty big segment btw.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mazda has the market cornered in that segment, which is a pretty big segment btw.

Exactly.

I'll add that MikeG's perception about the Miata is just that. A perception.
It is a fact that the majority of Miata owners are men.
It is also a Fact that on any given weekend there is more mazda's running around at performance events from road courses to autocrosses than any other make. And most of those are MIATA's.

MikeG, That is Great that you love your Viper and the experience that it brings to you. Welcome to the club. lol
Your response sounded to me like you were under the impression that i was proposing to replace your viper with a Miata. That is ridiculous.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stuff a juicy turbo engine into a Demon concept-ish car from the factory and let's see what it will do.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.

I'll add that MikeG's perception about the Miata is just that. A perception.
It is a fact that the majority of Miata owners are men.
It is also a Fact that on any given weekend there is more mazda's running around at performance events from road courses to autocrosses than any other make. And most of those are MIATA's.

MikeG, That is Great that you love your Viper and the experience that it brings to you. Welcome to the club. lol
Your response sounded to me like you were under the impression that i was proposing to replace your viper with a Miata. That is ridiculous.

I wasn't responding to you at all. I was responding to the thread itself - in general.
My comments were meant in part, to be in jest. The pics I posted were of my cars. Get it ???
Everyone knows the Miata is one of the most raced cars out there (modified of course).
But on a serious note; I don't want SRT making a mini-Viper badged under the Viper name. That was the inference in the article about which this thread was initiated; and to which my response was targeted.
But that's just me.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the Stryker car IS the mini-Viper and they will release the fast one next.

[Please note that the above comment was meant in jest, given the wailing and gnashing of teeth on the ZR-1 thread]

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or maybe something like the SRT Crossfire.

Porsche 911 people complained at the top of their lungs, not to build the Porsche SUV. Now it makes tons more money than the 911. Little brother Boxter also sells a bunch. No need to have a V-10 in everything, although I think a V-10 Challenger would sell like crazy.

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next up, a 4-door Viper to put the Panamera to shame.

Then, a 4x4 version to embarrass the Caye... Oops, forgot there already is a 4x4 Viper, it's called the Viper (with stock suspension).