MitiVac helps changing tranny oil?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be doing tranny oil change this weekend, somewhere on the internet I read that one can change fluid with MitiVac without lifting the car?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep it for the brakes and diff...but you don't need it for the tranny fluid.

I change my tranny fluid when it is hot...taking great care as it really shoots out of the drain hole.
You can do it on jackstands, though a lift really makes it a breeze...especially as I use a pressure pump to put the new fluid into the fill port.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a Mityvac handhelp pump when I recently drained and refilled my 05's diff and trans.

It made the process very easy as there is no room to maneuver the quart bottles up into the fill port.
:drive:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MityVac = good for brakes.
Cheap-o pump = good for tranny/diff fluid.

I use on the the $9 pumps from Meijer/WalMart/auto parts store.
The orange/red one with a couple of feet of clear tubing.
Works great, and I don't have to scour some other kind of fluid out of it after each use. :)

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MityVac = good for brakes.
Cheap-o pump = good for tranny/diff fluid.

I use on the the $9 pumps from Meijer/WalMart/auto parts store.
The orange/red one with a couple of feet of clear tubing.
Works great, and I don't have to scour some other kind of fluid out of it after each use. :)

What he said!

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, unless I don't understand it because I have not seen it in action, but it seems that MitiVac is waste of money since all the oils still need to be changed the old way including enginge oil. Yes, it may help fill diff in a tight space but so is some other cheap pump. For brakes there is a handheld pump for $25 at Autozone.
Somehow I thought that Mitivac is a blessing, that I will be able to change all or most of my car fluids from the engine bay :). I guess it is a good dream...

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the Mity-Vac. It's just that it's really great for brakes, and not so much for large quantity stuff, like tranny and diff. fluid.

Here's what I use for the tranny and diff:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
($4 at HF)
I've seen that one at Wal-Mart, Meijer, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, even grocery stores....all for $10 or less.
Extra tubing is super cheap too via Lowe's or HomeDepot (TIP: Get clear tubing so you can see WTH is going on with the fluid).

Oddly enough, the exact same pump is available from Mity-Vac:
Mityvac
(p/n# MV7421)

Here's one from the Billy Mays Department: