Mod to keep fog lights on when brights are on?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you put your brights on the fog lights go off. When traveling down dark back roads and putting my brights on my regular lights plus my HID fog lamps are as bright or brighter but the "brights" are higher up and you can see more farther down the road.

Is there a mod to have your fog lamps stay on when you put your brights on? With the HID fog lamps on the brights would be superior. I only use my brights when no other cars are around, if a car is near I turn them off.

On the hummer forums some of the guys ran a wire or diode from the fog lamps fuse (which are really daytime driving lamps) to the lights fuse so the DRL daytime lamps would stay on at night ie fog lamps. Could something like this be done for the fog lamps running a wire to the brights fuse to keep the fog lamps on when using the brights? Here is a picture of how the hummers were done:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a pic of it done on a 2005 Hummer , note the fuse box is different the pics above are 08 Hummers:

You must be registered for see images

Can this be done with the viper? Anbody got pics of the fusebox they can draw a line on with photoshop?

Or is there another way to do this, has anybody else tried this a different way? Any downsides to this ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We don't have a "safety inspection" and if you do have one, all you have to do is remove the wire before hand, how easy can that be. This is for "safety" so you can see the deer all around here at night :)

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We don't have a "safety inspection" and if you do have one, all you have to do is remove the wire before hand, how easy can that be. This is for "safety" so you can see the deer all around here at night :)

Just remove wire... takes about 3 seconds...

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a minute there I looked at your pics and said waitaminute, my 05's fuse box doesn't look like that!!! :omg:

I re-read your message and realized those are Hummer fuse boxes! :2tu:

LOL

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like too difficult of a mod. I did it in my old car and I recall all I had to do was cut one wire under the dash and solder it to another one. I studied a wiring diagram to determine which wires went where first.

As far as it not passing inspection, I drove it like that for nearly 10 years and it never failed a safety inspection. I'm sure it wouldn't have passed here in Missouri if they had noticed it. I don't think the inspector knew how to turn on the fog lights anyway. They didn't come on automatically when the high beans were on; they just didn't go off if I already had them on and switched on the high beams. I'm assuming that's what you want to do.

Test it with alligator clips first before you solder anything permanently. Grab a wiring diagram, study it for a few minutes and it should all make sense.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They actually verify the fogs go out when high beam is turned on in Virginia. Buy HID fog lamps as an alternative. You'll get plenty of candle power with those with the low beams on, and don't need to go splicing or jumping wires.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually adjusted my headlight beam up about 2" and with the HID fog light kit, I dont have to use my brights. Maybe try adjusting your headlights first.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fast too, I already have HID fog lights as you can see in the yellow viper in the first post. Thanks for the info RoadiJeff. I don't want to adjust my headlights up MikeR, as I already get some idiots who flash me due to the HID headlights and HID fog lights.

Anybody know exactly which wires would do it? Should I just run a jumper wire between the two in the fuse box like we did in the hummers?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know about other model years but on a '99 there's a 16 Ga red/gray wire going from the high beam switch to the fog relay. If that were cut then there would be no signal to the relay that the high beams were on.

If someone was concerned about inspection issues the wire could be wired to a switch that was mounted indiscreetly somewhere and turned on to enable inspection mode.

I haven't actually done this, so if someone wants to dig into it I'd suggest testing it first before spending time running any wires for a switch.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 2003 and newer cars do not have relays for lighting... it is taken care of inside the BCM module.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roadrunner, or somebody else, does that mean you can't do this mod? I think there has to be a way... Maybe running a jumper between fuses? All we want is the fog lights to stay on when the brights are on, cant be that difficult! :omg: :omg: :omg:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive to my house with a wiring diagram and I'll figure it out and do it for you! Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Viper owner. Should take me less than an hour.

Bought my car from Ohio.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're coming to Jasper '08? If you're going to be at Jasper I could figure it out there for you.

No shop manual for your car? Perhaps your Chrysler dealer could photocopy lighting fuses switches, BDM and related wiring diagrams, or you could buy your own shop/chassis manual?

I could figure it out with a multi-meter, except one post says the relays were eliminated your year and I'm completely ignorant of the BDM.

A simple way to accomplish manual control of your fogs would be to instal a switch and bypass all the factory wiring (wire it direct). That would take an hour or two though and require tools and parts.

Ted