Monster Power Performance DIY Front Mount TT Details

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a quick history and some explanation behind this system.

About a year and a half ago we decided to design and build a twin turbo system to make really big power on the order of 1500-2000 HP. We knew we needed to start with a clean sheet of paper, with a cutting edge design following textbook laws of turbocharging. This R&D brought about the design and fabrication of the Castellano Twin Turbo “ENZO WHO” car. This next section is a condensed summary of the information gleaned from our R&D of what it takes in empirical terms to build the most efficient turbo system for a Viper. We also used these principles to guide our R&D of the bolt-on kit we are about to offer to the public.

* Turbos have recently become the power adder of choice for the informed consumer…. But, knowing what turbo system to choose and why, is what we would like to demonstrate through the discussion of basic turbocharging principles:

* Turbo Sizing - this is a very general term that encompasses many things:

- On the most basic level it means sizing the exhaust housing and exhaust wheel diameter to match the volume of exhaust gases coming out of the motor while matching the compressor(intake) housing and compressor wheel diameter to the amount of air you want to flow to make a target power level.

- For maximum turbo efficiency, we must get the exhaust gases out of the turbo at least as fast as they come in minimizing the work/energy the turbo has to do to deliver a fixed amount of air to the throttle bodies. Less restriction = higher efficiency.

- Properly sizing a twin turbo setup on an 8 liter motor would be equivalent to a single turbo on a 4 liter motor: The Garrett Catalog recommends using a Garrett GT-40 Turbo for a 3.5-5.0 liter motor. Note: the GT-40 turbo uses a T-04 exhaust housing.

-Due to space constraints associated with mounting the turbos in the footwells, most Viper tuner twin turbo systems use the smaller T-03 exhaust housings (which are sized for the exhaust gas volume of a 2.0-3.0 liter motor)

-They combine the T-03 exhaust housing with a relatively larger compressor wheel (to flow the air for the 4 liter motor).

-So, with this T-03/T-04 hybrid, the outlet flow can never match the inlet flow, effectively minimizing the efficiency of the turbo system.

-This restriction is called Backpressure . Backpressure is not your friend and should be minimized at all costs!

* Question: is 6 PSI with a smaller turbo the same as 6 PSI with a larger turbo on any given 488 CI Viper motor as far as how much power gets to the wheels?

-The simple answer is NO !

-The combination of the relatively larger compressor wheel and small(T-03) exhaust housing on the average Viper twin turbo system makes for more restriction PERIOD!

-The higher backpressure from the small T-03 exhaust housing makes the compressor wheel have to spin much faster to overcome the pressure differential than it would if it had the properly sized T-04 exhaust housing.

-Higher compressor wheel speeds generate HEAT . Heat is not a friend of power on the intake side of the equation!

-Less heat means less chance of detonation and better overall system durability.

-It is possible, say at 6 PSI, to add an intercooler to a T-03 system to cool the intake charge down to what a T-04 system might make without an intercooler!

-To conclude this point, we have learned that less restriction leads to lower compressor wheel speeds and therefore less heat at the same boost pressure!

*Spooling characteristics defined:

-The area ratio, A/R, of the turbine housing is the most influential in determining the spooling characteristics of a given turbine and compressor wheel combination.

-In layman’s terms, it is the internal volume of the turbine housing.

-A turbo is said to spool as the exhaust gases begin to spin the turbine wheel.

-A smaller A/R will fill up more quickly with a given amount of exhaust gas volume. Therefore a smaller A/R will spool more quickly but is volumetrically challenged to flow/discharge the higher volume of air as the RPM’s increase.

-In a nutshell, the small A/R hits hard at lower RPM’s but runs out of capacity to be efficient at higher RPM’s. Note: A Supra is the exact opposite of this.

-With Vipers there should never be turbo lag making anything less than 2500-3000 HP!

This next section is a comparison between the bolt-on system we have designed for the Viper and other boosted applications available. This is to show the overall value of our system and what the average Viper consumer should be expecting to get from US for your money:

* Driveability of T-03 vs T-04:

-Due to the information discussed above regarding the T-03/T-04 hybrid systems, it is now not surprising to see why these cars have been known to easily spin hot drag slicks most of the ¼ mile because of how brutally the power comes on. (Think of it as revving to 6000 and dumping the clutch every time the boost comes on, it might be fun the first few times but it really is not manageable.)

-With the higher flow afforded by the T-04 turbo, the system will actually make the same bottom end power (if not more) while having the flow capacity necessary to hold far more power all the way to the top of the RPM band.
-Higher flow also means that the power will come on far more lineally and predictably. (you don’t go anywhere spinning your wheels unless you want to)

-Making the same or more power at lower boost levels generates less heat to be dissipated by the intercooler making for better detonation management.

-Less heat generated is less overall heat for your cooling system to dissipate.

-To summarize this point, a cooler running car with a more linear power curve is more fun and easy to drive!

* Front mount vs. Rear mount turbos:

-It is a known fact that exhaust gases cool from the time they leave the exhaust port in the head to the time they exit the tailpipe at the rear of the car.
-Kinetic heat energy assists gas flow to spool the turbo.

-Putting the turbos after around 10-12 feet of exhaust piping from the head simply lets valuable amounts of kinetic energy escape by the time it hits the turbine wheel.

-Less kinetic heat energy could be compared to a permanently slipping supercharger belt.

-There is also more like 12-15 feet of intercooler piping volume to pressurize with each and every opening of the blow-off valves.

-To summarize this comparison, Rear mount turbos are good for minimal power level increases, but not much of a value for stepping up to higher and higher power levels.

* Turbos vs Superchargers:

-Here is a link to a general comparison between superchargers and turbochargers: http://turbochargedpower.com/Turbo%20vs%20Blowers.htm

-In general terms, turbos make more power per lb boost and do it more efficiently than a blower.

-Turbos have the ability to adjust the power output in an instant on the fly from the comfort of inside the car instead of having to change a pulley.

-Turbos also only compress the air when the engine is under load putting less wear and tear on the engine and cooling system in cruise mode (off boost).
-Turbos do not stress the crankshaft like the superchargers do from being driven off the crankshaft.

-Turbos do not have have the parasitic loss associated from having to be driven off the crankshaft!

-Turbos do not require the regular belt tightening(and replacement)of a high powered supercharger system, which is a major benefit at events.

* The last system you will ever need:

-Over the years, there has been a massive amount of change in the Viper aftermarket:

-Each new power adder runs its course until there comes something new to take its place……600-650 RWHP 35K N/A upgrades gave way to 600-650 RWHP 20K Superchargers, giving way to 600 RWHP 8K superchargers.

-Looking at past trends, customers would buy the ultimate Viper power upgrade package which became obsolete as fast as the cutting edge computer does when purchased from the major computer companies.

-I sold my 887 RWHP intercooled supercharger system for 7K after paying more than 15K installed!  I lost 8K in that transaction.

-Upgrading from one brand system to another is always a losing proposition!

-Monster Power Performance now offers ONE Basic, fully upgradeable system that you will NEVER lose money by having to switch systems.

-We will offer the full range from the bare bones(yet complete), bolt-on, non-intercooled turbo system, to the ultimate power, tuner installed and tuned with everything in between!

-We will offer every necessary upgrade for each successive power increase.

-This system is fully upgradeable in every sense of the word!

-This system will be capable of running anywhere from 600-1400+ RWHP depending on fuel system, intercooler sizing, engine build specifications and engine management.

Here are some of the basic requirements that we wanted our bolt-on kit to have in order to provide the best quality and overall value to our customers:

* Has to be installable on a stock car with no modification what so ever on a basic kit.

-A true Bolt-on with NO HOLES OR CUTTING THE FRAME OR CORE SUPPORT!

-To have the ability to be installed by the average mechanic in the comfort of his own garage.

-Completely removable, leaving no trace it was there.

-This kit comes with detailed instructions (both printed and via DVD) and a help line.

-We wanted the installation of this kit to be able to be reversible back to stock like some of the blower systems out there.

-A qualified technician can install this system in about 8 hours.

-The owner can remove the system and sell the car as “stock”.

-The owner can keep our system for the new car or sell it and recover a higher percentage of the money invested.

-How many here have lost most of the upgrade money invested in the car upon selling???? 

* We wanted the turbos on top in front of the engine:

-So you can SEE them = Super high bling/$$$$$ Ratio:

-How many here would LOVE to open the hood and say, “here they are” instead of just showing a pair of intercooler pipes and a fuel pressure regulator?

-More efficient design with shorter intake plumbing for better turbo response.

-Gives the ability to morph the basic kit into a more powerful, efficient system capable of making 1400+ HP with available upgrades.

-Allows for fitment of a pair of 88mm medium frame turbos with larger, freer flowing exhaust housings.

-T-04 exhaust housings minimizes backpressure thereby maximizing efficiency!

* Must be a complete kit

-Complete fuel system to accommodate application
-Turbos
-Turbo header manifolds
-All necessary exhaust plumbing
-Appropriate fuel system upgrades
-Wastegates and blow off valves
-Air intake
-VEC 2 with startup and baseline tuning map included
-Written installation instructions with DVD installation video and help line.

* Must use top quality components.

-Tial
-ARP
-Garrett/Precision Turbo/Turbonetics/etc…
-Stainless steel and aluminum piping
-Stainless Steel heat shields
-Silicone couplers
-Stainless Steel clamps
-Braided Stainless Steel hoses

* Must be scaleable!

The maximum output package must utilize most of the major parts of the basic kit to make it as affordable as possible for our Viper brothers and sisters.

-Same exhaust manifolds, up pipes, wastegates, BOV’S, intercooler piping layout(for the intercooled systems) and so on with the appropriate upgrades available to make the power level you desire.

-All basic fitment of system worked backwards from fitting (2) 1150 HP turbos into a stock Viper engine compartment cutting and modifying nothing then scaling back to the basic bolt-on turbo fitment using kit sized smaller T-O4’s.
-We based the design of this system off the cutting edge Castellano Twin Turbo(tagged “ENZO WHO”) which has made in excess of 1500 rear wheel torque and 1275 rear wheel horsepower through an automatic transmission(on a mild base engine).

-The design and engineering principles of the initial ENZO WHO CPE TT have been adapted to give the average Viper owner the ability to bolt on serious power without having to work day and night to fabricate something in their garage!

-You choose how much power you want to start off with and upgrade as frequently and as often as you like! :)

-You want more power, we can hook you up!

-We have done all the R&D! You just have to bolt it on!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My supercharger will kick your Turbo's ass. Today, yesterday and a week from now. Lets setup a race 2morrow. Oh that's right, is your car running yet? :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

G

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great info and references. look forward to the results.

John

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As with a lot of the systems, the post installation tuning is what makes or breaks the car. Since you use the VEC2 , I assume you provide some generalized program profiles, but how do you see the self-installer getting the maximum out of this system?

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As with a lot of the systems, the post installation tuning is what makes or breaks the car. Since you use the VEC2 , I assume you provide some generalized program profiles, but how do you see the self-installer getting the maximum out of this system?

JK, The system will come with some base fuel and timing maps.

The way I see the self installer getting the maximum out of this system is to take the car to someone who is experienced with the tuning software and tuning the Viper.

I think the relatively stock cars should be fairly consistent to tune for normal temperature, humidity and atmospheric conditions.

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paolo,

Nice job with this. I'm currently trying to sell my Gen I. I hope to be into a Viper once I settle down with moving. Not sure which Gen I'll go with, but I would definitely be interested in your system (especially if I get another Gen I). Blowers are nice, but nothing next to what a turbo can accomplish.

Good Luck!
Paul

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo,

Nice job with this. I'm currently trying to sell my Gen I. I hope to be into a Viper once I settle down with moving. Not sure which Gen I'll go with, but I would definitely be interested in your system (especially if I get another Gen I). Blowers are nice, but nothing next to what a turbo can accomplish.

Good Luck!
Paul

Paul, I would definitely go for a Gen 2.

Firstly, they drive better, secondly, I already have a bolt-on DIY TT for the gen 2! :headbang:

You are correct about the power of a properly sized pair of turbos! :2tu:

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much does the system weigh?How much weight is being added to the nose of the car? GTS Bruce

Bruce, that is a very interesting question that I will have to figure out for you at some point. I will try to make a guess of about 50-60 pounds including the intercooler. I will think about it more to try to come up with a better answer.

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this kit looks 10x better in person if you can believe it. I love it when you say you have a TT viper and then pop the hood and nothing is there. This system lets you pop the hood and watch whoever is looking at it pop a [******] *******, lol

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, what does the base kit of $10,000 include? WHat brand turbo / size? Tial wastegates? Intercooler?

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, what does the base kit of $10,000 include? WHat brand turbo / size? Tial wastegates? Intercooler?

Adam, here is a general rundown for the basic, no cutting the car for an intercooler TT. I am using Precision Turbo turbos.

You can go with a pair of 76 GTS's and a big front mount intercooler if you want.

Here is where you can start: This is the basic non-intercooled bolt-on DIY.

Bolt on non-intercooled Kit:
T-4 hot side/58mm compressor housing with 3" inlet/2" outlet
Tial 44mm wastegates(2)
Stainless steel, ceramic coated exhaust manifold set with up pipes
Upper radiator hose +silicone couplers + clamps
wastegate back into exhaust pipe(2)
ceramic coated 3"downpipe to front sill outlet (pair)
(6) exhaust pipe clamps
Power steering relocation bracket
Cool air intake airbox
Air filters(3)
BOV
compressor outlet pipes to throttle bodies
fuel pump voltage booster
injectors/resistor box
fuel rails
Vec 2
oil feed/oil drain lines w/fittings
All silicone couplers
T-bolt coupler clamps
vacuum lines
Crossmember

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this kit looks 10x better in person if you can believe it. I love it when you say you have a TT viper and then pop the hood and nothing is there. This system lets you pop the hood and watch whoever is looking at it pop a [******] *******, lol

Eric, when are you coming over? We should be starting the car tomorrow if everything goes smoothly!

P.S. my cell phone is not working, just swing by if you can!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I am using T60 T04 Turbonetics in my low mount TT GEN1. In fact the only low mount kits that used theT03 flanges were Heanessey's first kits and Axis/West Coast Vipers kits.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Resurecting a slightly old thread :)

Great work Paolo! I love PTE's equipment. What size injectors are you currently using in the DIY kit? I'm guessing by the spec these are TE44's (or SC series since it's a T4 flange heh), which are very good turbos for the money.

Do you have pricing plans for the fmic addon? Also, have you experimented w/ the new ems units for the V10?

James

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Resurecting a slightly old thread :)

Great work Paolo! I love PTE's equipment. What size injectors are you currently using in the DIY kit? I'm guessing by the spec these are TE44's (or SC series since it's a T4 flange heh), which are very good turbos for the money.

Do you have pricing plans for the fmic addon? Also, have you experimented w/ the new ems units for the V10?

James

James, sorry I did not respond sooner! I must not have received an email notifier!

For the base kit, we are using a T-04 .81AR with a 58 or 61mm Compressor wheel with 55lbs/hr injectors.

Here is a link to the latest update:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=593222&Main=593222#Post593222

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo:
Good luck with your Viper performance business. Your knowledge in turbo systems for Viper is gonna be the key to making big power with the Viper V10. Let me know anything I can help transporting you customers cars to your facilities.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo:
Good luck with your Viper performance business. Your knowledge in turbo systems for Viper is gonna be the key to making big power with the Viper V10. Let me know anything I can help transporting you customers cars to your facilities.

Ralph, thanks for the thumbs up! I will try to get you as many customers as I can!

Viper Joe, My system will definitely work on a creampuff! Please give me a call @ 630-878-3907. Paolo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456