More Viper SRT rumors

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

14 FEBRUARY 2006 - Rumor Control

According to the latest round of inside information and rumor control, the Dodge Viper for 2008 will remain on the same platform - code 'ZB'. The latest powertrain tweaking, along with some minor changes to the suspension, braking, wheel package, and some additional added downforce aero packaging, the next Viper will reap the latest [code EWE] 700-HP 8.4ltr engine to propel it to top of the hill again. Raw muscle…raw power for the sport car enthusiasts.

Along with the 2008 Viper, the possibility of two more platforms to be added for this engine is the 2008 Dodge Ram SRT-10 and the Quad Cab SRT-10. As the winds adjust for sales...the bean counters may curbed this aspiration for a super sport truck.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This would makes some sense and it would be good news for current SRT-10 owners. A drastic change would hurt the value od Gen 3s, (like the C6 Vette is hurting C5 values). Such an evolution would be cheap to Dodge, and yet the increased power would squash anything else out there, and aero improvements would be make the Viper more on par with the Vette's aero numbers ... such an evolution would probably yield quite a few Mopar upgrade posibilities for Gen 3s, as well ...

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

14 FEBRUARY 2006 - Rumor Control

According to the latest round of inside information and rumor control, the Dodge Viper for 2008 will remain on the same platform - code 'ZB'. The latest powertrain tweaking, along with some minor changes to the suspension, braking, wheel package, and some additional added downforce aero packaging, the next Viper will reap the latest [code EWE] 700-HP 8.4ltr engine to propel it to top of the hill again. Raw muscle…raw power for the sport car enthusiasts.

Along with the 2008 Viper, the possibility of two more platforms to be added for this engine is the 2008 Dodge Ram SRT-10 and the Quad Cab SRT-10. As the winds adjust for sales...the bean counters may curbed this aspiration for a super sport truck.
are we talking NA or FI?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is 700 HP where are they getting the extra 200? I can see them boreing the motor but that's about it. I guess race cams and such would be in the question.

BTW would this hurt tuners?

OP
OP
SRT10

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like someone said before...

"You can hear all the Z06 owners let out a collective groan!" :D

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing 101, release the Pentium 3 before jumping to the 5..... Too much Production and $ left on the table to go from 510 HP to 700 HP.. LOL!!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like [******] that someone made up. There is nothing Viper specific, they are all just general improvements. Those "tweaks" could be made to any car. Since when does the SRT-10 need a brake update?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it is 700 HP where are they getting the extra 200? I can see them boreing the motor but that's about it. I guess race cams and such would be in the question.

The current 8.3L could easily put out 550hp with just some improved heads ... a little bore-out, and some higher compression, improved valve-train with a 6,500 rpm read-line, and higher numbers would be very possible (at least 600hp)

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

700 hp wont be enough for some or most of us, a lot of vipers on board are well over the 700 mark already, So a viper comeing from the factory with 700 hp equals more potential for lots more horsepower. Due to all the horsepower and toqrue dodge is going to make the internals more stout to handle the hp and torque that there trying to acheive.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
700hp for '08, I'll believe it when I see along with the 700hp "Super Vette" or what ever they call it. :rolleyes:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
the Dodge Viper for 2008 will remain on the same platform - code 'ZB'. The latest powertrain tweaking, along with some minor changes to the suspension, braking, wheel package, and some additional added downforce aero packaging

So let me get this straight - DC is taking an S2oooRT, adding FI and a body kit and releasing it as the next viper? Forgive me for not jumping in on that bandwagon. I'm not bashing, but if I even liked the look of the Gen3 (which I don't) why would I pay for new when I could get an 03 at *very* deep discounts, have Heff wave his magic monkeywrench, get more HP and save a few grand?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I was told is 650hp for '08. That is easily done with cam and heads. Ilmor goes to 625 right now on the marine viper motor.

That's a marine engine with no emission controls and 4" OPEN headers with no mufflers or cats. For comparison purposes the same engine in a car MIGHT get 560 crank horsepower with legal emissions.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
700hp for '08, I'll believe it when I see along with the 700hp "Super Vette" or what ever they call it. :rolleyes:

I think you are talking about the blue devil. Both cars are just rumors.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This kind of speculation is best left for the GM Hopefuls that believe that one day the Corvette will be faster than the Viper.

Until then, the TOOTH FAIRY IS REAL, DAMMIT!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This kind of speculation is best left for the GM Hopefuls that believe that one day the Corvette will be faster than the Viper.

Yep I'd said it all along those 4-5 Magazines where the C6 Z06 beat the SRT is a falicy. The Z06 really runs 13's and the SRT really runs 9's bone stock.

The guys here that own BOTH even admit the Vette is stronger, but they are full of it as well. Can't believe anyone anymore. :(

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see the viper jumping from 500 to 700 hp , there is no reason, when 600 hp will put it at the top. Thats too much of a gain all at one time, and we are approaching ( or beyond ) super exotic car HP numbers. I dont see the prices staying below 100k or even 150k for that matter with those numbers. You cant wrap a couple hundred HP up in the same dated body styling with a bow on it and go to market. I dont see it happening.

Also, it will kill the value of the current Gen III's , the Gen II will always be the classic, but the " early 500hp gen III's will be the "Bicth car" compared to the same body with 700 numbers... what a bummer. Im going to call [******] !

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would our members prefer to see Viper come out with a mega hp car, at a premium cost, or see a combination of a small increase in power with the current car, and an even higher performing ACR type package with less weight, more power, and even better handling, but at a price?

I have no insider information, but my belief is that Dodge is working on all sorts of things, but might get a little guidance on what our members would buy.

My belief is that the Viper Coupe and Vette z06 have achieved parity. They both sell for about the same street price, have about the same performance, and appeal to the same buyer. Z06 is the new guy on the block, but Viper is easier to modify.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for 100k+... lets shoot for the likes of porsche gt and enzo. Too bad DC will never let that happen. They'd rather blow their *** of cash on the SLR.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for 100k+... lets shoot for the likes of porsche gt and enzo. Too bad DC will never let that happen. They'd rather blow their *** of cash on the SLR.

But what makes these cars so great is the $$$ per dollar. NO DOUBT can DC make the power but it won't have the build quality of Ferrari/Lamborghini. When it's all said and done it will still be a "Dodge". Like it or not that is the truth.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep I'd said it all along those 4-5 Magazines where the C6 Z06 beat the SRT is a falicy. The Z06 really runs 13's and the SRT really runs 9's bone stock.

The guys here that own BOTH even admit the Vette is stronger, but they are full of it as well. Can't believe anyone anymore. :(

Enough with the magazines Mopar, read this thread, first real world same drivers comparison I've read anywhere. And I don't remember reading here that anyone who owned both said the Vette was faster either.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=655875&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But what makes these cars so great is the $$$ per dollar. NO DOUBT can DC make the power but it won't have the build quality of Ferrari/Lamborghini. When it's all said and done it will still be a "Dodge". Like it or not that is the truth.

Actually we like it that it's still a Dodge. Having the power and speed of a Lambo or Ferrari with the maintenance costs of a Dodge is a good thing. And you make an interesting comment about build quality coming from a guy who owns a 68 Corvette, arguably the lowest build quality year ever on a Vette. :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually we like it that it's still a Dodge. Having the power and speed of a Lambo or Ferrari with the maintenance costs of a Dodge is a good thing. And you make an interesting comment about build quality coming from a guy who owns a 68 Corvette, arguably the lowest build quality year ever on a Vette. :D

NOTHING wrong w/ a Dodge I own several, and my Vette "Is still a Chevy" when compared to the supercars. Just saying I bet many would be hard pressed to find a large # of people who would buy a million dollar Dodge over a Ferrari. When you play w/ that much money it's not ONLY about performance buy rarity, name recognition, and prestige.

I'll be the FIRST to tell you Corvette build quality from '53-'98 ***** (98+ still ***** but not as bad:D)

As far as my comment, I was merely going by what SW (who owns BOTH) has stated.

Not only is it more comfortable, but "Faster" than his SRT-10.

thread -- > http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=driven&Number=649829&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3weeks&Main=649122&Search=true#Post649829

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R