Morristown, TN

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All-

I am considering a position in Morristown, TN and know nothing about the area, can anyone help me out? I have lived in Houston, TX my whole life and like it here, so a move is very scary to myself and my wife. I have done some internet searching and know the basics, but would prefer hands on info! Any info you have would be great!!! Thanks in advance!

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Johnson City TN which would be about an hour from Morristown. One great thing about that area is you will be close to Deals Gap which I think is one of the best mountain roads in the country. Here is a link. dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.

You and your Viper will love it!! :drive: Your wife on the other hand... :omg:

You will also be close to Pigeon Forge TN which is fun.
Pigeon Forge,TN - Official Pigeon Forge Family Vacation Destination Guide

Less than an hour from Knoxville so you can go to some great football games! Well not the past few years but I'm hopping this year!
University of Tennessee Athletics Football

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Johnson City TN which would be about an hour from Morristown. One great thing about that area is you will be close to Deals Gap which I think is one of the best mountain roads in the country. Here is a link. dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.

You and your Viper will love it!! :drive: Your wife on the other hand... :omg:

You will also be close to Pigeon Forge TN which is fun.
Pigeon Forge,TN - Official Pigeon Forge Family Vacation Destination Guide

Less than an hour from Knoxville so you can go to some great football games! Well not the past few years but I'm hopping this year!
University of Tennessee Athletics Football

Thanks for the quick feedback!

So my wife will not like it there? How is it living in TN versus a big town? (if you have lived in a big town before). Is it a nice area? I might be flying in next week for an interview.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant your wife might not like the Deals Gap if you are driving it in the viper. 318 curves in 11 miles. It's a blast to drive it in the viper. Did not mean she will not life Morristown.

Morristown is a small country town. Not really much going on there. But you are close enough to the big city Knoxville. If she likes shopping then she will like that area. Lots of shopping in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville. Morristown will have a lot of farm land around it.

I guess it all depends on if you like the big city or like the country. You will be in the country but like I said close enough to the city.

It would be nice to have another(2) viper in the area!

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant your wife might not like the Deals Gap if you are driving it in the viper. 318 curves in 11 miles. It's a blast to drive it in the viper. Did not mean she will not life Morristown.

Morristown is a small country town. Not really much going on there. But you are close enough to the big city Knoxville. If she likes shopping then she will like that area. Lots of shopping in Pigeon Forge and Knoxville. Morristown will have a lot of farm land around it.

I guess it all depends on if you like the big city or like the country. You will be in the country but like I said close enough to the city.

It would be nice to have another(2) viper in the area!

We wouldn't live in Morristown, that is just where the job is. Can you suggest a nice area to live around there?

We live on the outskirts of Houston currently and wouldn't mind the country living at all, as long as there is a larger city reasonably close (sounds like Knoxville would do).

I guess you have to store your Viper for the winter? How many months? We are spoiled and get to drive ours year round down here, just did 125 miles last weekend.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea Knoxville would be biggest city. Lots of fun stuff to do there. I would look for a house between Morristown and Knoxville.

Well I'm not a normal Viper owner. I take great care of my cars but I do like to drive them. I can not handle keeping them in the garage all winter. I say I drove mine 15 days out of the last 3 months. As long as the roads are clear I will drive it. But like right now it is only 44 degrees for the high and we had a little snow last night. But I'm going to drive the viper tomorrow as it will be sunny and high 40's. Did not snow enough to have them put salt down.

It will not be as nice as TX but you will be fine.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I moved from living in the heart of Atlanta in a high rise to Chattanooga about 6 years ago and miss the hell out of Atlanta. Part of that may be because I was married when I moved here and I'm not now. I miss the action, glitzyness, restaurants, bars, everything.
On the other hand, I live on a golf course here and play a lot more than I ever did in Atlanta. Plus, as JMills said, there are great roads right by the house. It makes the Viper and motorcycle much more enjoyable!
Morristown is a really small town. Knoxville isn't bad, but there's way too much of that godawful ORANGE everywhere! :)
I came from the extreme of true city life to the suburbs of a much smaller city, but it looks like you're already on the outskirts of town. Knoxville is nothing like Houston, but if you are used to the more laid back life, you should be fine. And if you miss the jumping, city atmosphere, Atlanta isn't too far of a drive from up there.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get up there and look around. Spend a week or two if you can, get a feel for the place sotospeak. It is beautiful country. :2tu:

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there next Thursday night and staying thru Sunday noon, looking and learning as much as possible! :D

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are really into cars, you will be in car heaven. Lots of car clubs go there all thru the nice weather AND tons of beautiful things to see for your wife as well and so many things to do and places to go if you like the country and scenery and beautiful little country towns and more shopping places then you can believe, our Viper club meets there every year for a few days, around 45-50 Vipers every year and have a ball.Join the Ala/Tenn Viper club. You will Love the people. The club is a great bunch of very nice folks and all Viper and car crazy...After living there you will probly never want to move any wheres else. Galtinburg,Sieverville is where I am specifically talking about.Houses are really cheap to buy there. Your wife will shop and love it, unless she is VERY high maitenance, city person, like green acres, ha... I hope I didn't offend anyone by that statement.....Just my way of thinking. Take the job and enjoy life. My 2 cents.....:headbang: :rolleyes: :eater:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy put it in better words than me! I also say there will be a huge difference in what your money can buy when it comes to a house. Buy a house with a lot of land, build a race course, and us have fun with our Vipers! lol

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Roy!

We just moved into our new house 6 months ago, all of our family is here (both sides), all our friends are here (obviously), we have a beach house on the coast, etc. so there is a lot to consider.

I plan on putting lots of miles on the rental Saturday looking around at your great state!

OP
OP
H

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info guys! I put 800 miles on my rental while I was there, it is beautiful country as y'all said, but I have decided to stay here in Houston. Driving I40 thru the mountains was a lot of fun, even with my V6 Camaro.... LOL! :)