Motor oil viscosity for tracking the Gen V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just about to change the oil before tracking at Thunderhill. I had wanted to run Royal Purple 10W-40 but my local auto parts didn't have it.

Ended up picking up Royal Purple 10W-30, anyone have any opinions? Too thin? They also have Royal Purple 15W-50 or Mobil 1 0W-40. Or for that matter, I could look around elsewhere for Royal Purple 10W-40.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Todd

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
differant wieghts have differant for better or worse protection against wear, the only thing i run 10 40 in is a old motor high milage/ oil burner

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to go away from this good question he has but what ever happened to the F&L lubricant engineer member? Have not seen his posts in a long time.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ACR-Xs run 15-50W and I know that is what we recommend for track use, the 10-30 is way too light.

We have alot of Mobil 1, but know that Chrysler/SRT now have a contract with Shell , so they are using the Pennzoil Synthetic. Have fun and report back to us.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just about to change the oil before tracking at Thunderhill. I had wanted to run Royal Purple 10W-40 but my local auto parts didn't have it.

Ended up picking up Royal Purple 10W-30, anyone have any opinions? Too thin? They also have Royal Purple 15W-50 or Mobil 1 0W-40. Or for that matter, I could look around elsewhere for Royal Purple 10W-40.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Todd

Todd,

Are you going to the Thunderhill event tomorrow?

You can find the Mobile One 15-50W by the big jug at Walmart if you're in a pinch.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll grab some 15-50.

George, I couldn't get work off tomorrow, so can't make it then. But I'm going on 9/6. Any chance you can make it? It will be the maiden voyage for the Viper, cannot wait!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll grab some 15-50.

George, I couldn't get work off tomorrow, so can't make it then. But I'm going on 9/6. Any chance you can make it? It will be the maiden voyage for the Viper, cannot wait!

I'll be there tomorrow. Haven't even thought about next week yet, lol.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there tomorrow. Haven't even thought about next week yet, lol.

Cheers,
George

Have fun George, hopefully we will track together soon. I'm fairly new to it, but have really taken to it. I'll be tracking the Camaro on 9/21 - 9/22 at Buttonwillow, then the Viper again at Spring Mountain in October.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool man. What event, Hooked On Driving? Can't wait to see your video. Hope you Gopro it..

Hooked on Driving for Thunderhill 9/6, and Speedventures for Buttonwillow 9/21 - 9/22. I've got to get on the ball and order my GoPro. I'll try to do that tonight.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hooked on Driving for Thunderhill 9/6, and Speedventures for Buttonwillow 9/21 - 9/22. I've got to get on the ball and order my GoPro. I'll try to do that tonight.

Awesome I'm doing HOD Laguna Seca coming up. Have fun, that's what it's all about. We are lucky to have so many killer tracks close by. Kart tracks too..:)

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome I'm doing HOD Laguna Seca coming up. Have fun, that's what it's all about. We are lucky to have so many killer tracks close by. Kart tracks too..:)

No doubt! I was just thinking about that. Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Buttonwillow, Thunderhill to name a few. I'll be road tripping out to Vegas for more Ron Fellows classes at Spring Mountain. That should be interesting. I'll be driving the C6 ZR1 on day 1, and then likely C7 Vettes for two days (provided they have them by then), and the Viper each day after class.