Motor Trend isn't very hot about the new Viper

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor Trend isn\'t very hot about the new Viper

I just got my November edition of Motor Trend.
There is an article about the new SRT-10 coupe.
Compared to the past 5-6 articles on the Z06, this one is really fade on the SRT-10.
And in fact the SRT-10 is no longer so strong.
In the September edition of the Motor Trend it wasn't even listed amongst the exotic cars.
Nowedays even the BMW Mini got a factory supercharger ...

So Chrysler Execs when you plan to release a supercharged Viper ?

At the last VOI in Dallas you needed a Monster Truck to break a 15 years old Corvette up.
The Z06 Vette will eat the new SRT-10 for its breakfast ...
It's time wakeup !

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Motor Trend isn\'t very hot about the new Viper

So... order your roadster of SRT-10 Coupe from Woodhouse with the Paxton, and they'll cover it with factory warranty.

Problem solved...

Reaction score

Z06 eating the Viper? I saw that the new Z06 goes 198 mph. Doesn't the stock SRT 10 goes like 220? Am I wrong? Don't know too much about new Vipers.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Z06 eating the Viper? I saw that the new Z06 goes 198 mph. Doesn't the stock SRT 10 goes like 220? Am I wrong? Don't know too much about new Vipers.

Yes, you're wrong.... SRT-10 does not break the 200 barrier in stock form. The list is very short for cars that can break 200 mph in stock form and they're all priced over 100K. There are less than a handful that ever broke the 220 mph barrier in "stock" form.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

stock vs stock. maybe the Z06 will be reigned as the king. But for a year or so. DC will answer back. All car companies do this.. ;)

Reaction score

Not only does it look like crap, and they lie on the speedo? Can Dodge screw anything else up? :p :D

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Z06 Vette will eat the new SRT-10 for its breakfast ...

no it wont. yes the z06 is faster. but the viper has better handling and better brakes. so its like a tie. on the track, it depends on the driver. i think dodge will come out with more performance soon. on the gen3 forum somebody (they think) saw a new viper in testing. we will just have to wait and see.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not only does it look like crap, and they lie on the speedo? Can Dodge screw anything else up? :p :D

This CRAP from someone with a name like SOMEDAY I'LL HAVE ONE. You must be 12 or a GTSnut.

No one 'lies' on the speedo mr. 12 year old. I still am blown away by the stupidity of people who rush up to me and say "What's it register?" NUMBERS on a DIAL do not mean the car will automatically do that speed. The Chevette had an 85mph speedo. Think one ever got going that fast? Oh wait, you're too young to remember the Chevette.

In 6th gear at redline I could be going 320mph.....in a vacuum. On Pluto.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

gee...a Magazine who generates advertising income from the very companies/cars they do stories on. Bias? NO!!!!

signed,

I just purchased the brooklyn bridge. :headbang:

Reaction score

Someone got up on the wrong side of the nail this morning.

Yes I am a GTS and RT/10 fan. I'm sorry if I'm not a fan of the new looks. Crap was too strong a word I admit because no Viper can look like crap unless you paint it pink with purple stripes. I'll warm up to the new ones eventually.

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now hold on here boys. I had a 1979 Subaru four wheel drive station wagon. The speedo said 120 mph. I had the lil` 4x4 up to 62 mph holding the pedal 3/4 to the floor. It would actually slow down if you mashed the pedal to the floor. Truth in advertising? :2tu:

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not only does it look like crap, and they lie on the speedo? Can Dodge screw anything else up?

Well first of all, NO cars max out their speedo's in Stock form. The only way you'd max out the 220 on the Viper's one is with a really good SC or TT set up :)

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Motor Trend isn't very hot about the new Viper
-----------------------------------------------------------
I agree. It hasn't got me over excited.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"the viper has better handling and better brakes. so its like a tie. on the track, it depends on the driver"

I don't know about that.
I'd say the ZO6 is probably going to be a better road race car in stock form.

I really don't see how any stock Viper will be as fast as the new ZO6.

The Viper is rare and exotic but the days of Vipers being the king of the road are over.
The new ZO6 is a well engineered, sophisticated, light weight, big engine, sports car. The Viper is not.
It was put together as a stunt. Not much engineering went into it compared to GM and the new ZO6.

The Vipers are all more like the old Cobra than a Ferrari.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe117 you are right.
However the viper isn't so far from beating the Z06.

Just the execs at Chrysler are aslept and don't really care about new clients as the article says.

And yes guys, no matter what public opinion will decide on the faith of our beasts.

So the question is why chrysler execs don't care anymore ?!
Will they discontinue the Viper product line ?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll bet that GM makes money on each ZO6.
I'll bet that DC looses money on each Viper.

I don't see DC making nearly as much advertising hay with the Viper as it's flagship performance car as GM makes with the Corvette.

I'm wondering if DC is really interested in adding a supercharger to the V10 that they will have to cover under warranty.

You have to look at it as DC must see it. More money out the window, just to keep the Viper as top dog.
Or keep the Viper as is, power wise, and play the car as an advertising exotic that most people never see in person.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is what happens when corporations keep taking over each other.
I think Chrysler owned Lamborghini in the late eighties when the Viper concept was conceived.
Now Lamborghini is who knows whose, Chrysler is bought by Mercedes. Can you expect what seemed to be a good idea then will still be one now? Now the product line has to conform to DC mandates. It must have been a stretch to succum to demands and finally put forth the SRT coupe at all.

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score

People at MotorTrend never liked Vipers. I checked several years of my subscription. They pretend Vipers do not exist – very few short editorials. On the other hand, they were always very enthusiastic about every Vette.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper is rare and exotic but the days of Vipers being the king of the road are over.
The new ZO6 is a well engineered, sophisticated, light weight, big engine, sports car. The Viper is not.
It was put together as a stunt. Not much engineering went into it compared to GM and the new ZO6.

I Agree.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is very true... down to the person who influenced the Viper design. But then are you drawing a comparison that the Vette=Ferarri? That would be a looong stretch.

Vettes are engineered to make a profit. That's why it's "just a vette". No passion, no fire. Just cold hard cash for GM. DC seems to want to take the same route with the Viper. The Gen3's are a clear move in that direction. Let's face it, the Gen2's are the last of the breed. You can call it a "stunt", but there will never be another car built with the same amount of passion again. That's why I'm keeping mine.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well first of all, NO cars max out their speedo's in Stock form.

-1993-1996 Honda Prelude VTEC, 140 mph speedo, 139 mph top speed.
-Last Gen Firebird T/A, 150 mph speedo, 160+ mph top speed.
-Viper GTS, 200 mph speedo, 192.6 mph tested top speed.

To name a few.

Just the execs at Chrysler are aslept and don't really care about new clients as the article says. So the question is why chrysler execs don't care anymore ?! Will they discontinue the Viper product line ?

This letter may provide the answer:

To my good friends in the VCA,

One thing that is constant in this life is change. The paths my career has taken is something that I never could have predicted. I have been involved with incredible products, worked for a company that has persevered and succeeded time and time again, and worked with real and special people like those in the VCA.

At the end of this year I will be moving on to a new assignment. I will be taking over as the Vice President of the Mopar Global Service Group. If I had to leave SRT, then I can't think of a better place to go. Mopar has been in a resurgence like no other for the past few years. They are bringing back the Mopar passion that has driven the aftermarket business for years. It is our fourth brand and there are few places on earth that hasn't had some connection with Mopar. I will go there and give it my every ounce of energy to keep it succeeding.

Despite my happiness at being promoted and going to a great job, a part of my heart is weeping. Together my team has gone from 2 cars to 11 SRT products. Each of these product is in the top of their class and each has a distinct personality. They each have the SRT steroids to show the world that we get it. Each of my team members has SRT blood running through their veins and I can assure what is in my blood stream will never leave.

My association with the Viper Club of America has been so totally special. From Viper Rendezvous, VOI, reading the website (where we are skewered and praised on a daily basis!), to Viper Days, it has been one of the most rewarding relationships with a group of people, that I have ever had. The friendships we have made will last a lifetime. The experiences and memories will be with me forever. My visceral response to the most incredible car this industry has ever produced will never end.

I can assure you that I will be looking with one eye on what is going on with Viper. I know what the future holds and I know you will be amazed and delighted. I can honestly say that we listened to what you said and delivered everything we could to satisfy you. My successor will be named in a few weeks. We have discussed what this person needs to succeed and what they need to work with the VCA. You can rest in knowing that they will have the passion and skills to keep this Viper thing going for a long long time to come. We will not rest and we will not back down. There is no give up in Chrysler, SRT or Mopar!

I want to thank each and every one of you for the warmth and friendship you have shown me, my team and my family over the last 3 years. It has been a tremendous ride and you can bet your ass that is isn't over yet!

I intend to get out to some Viper events next year so look for me and say hi.

Have fun with those Vipers and save a few coins for what is coming at you in the next few years. You will be amazed and delighted!

Take care,

Dan

Dan Knott, SRT's top boss. The letter is posted on "General Viper Discussion" forum.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have fun with those Vipers and save a few coins for what is coming at you in the next few years. You will be amazed and delighted!

Dan Knott, SRT's top boss. The letter is posted on "General Viper Discussion" forum.

I'll say the same thing I said in that thred:

1. He's encouraging us to NOT buy the new coupe and wait for what's coming around the corner.

2. More of the same winking and nudging. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62