Mufflers to pass sound restrictions?

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here, just got my '04 this past weekend.

At the moment the car has the stock headers and cats, but from there back it's got HPC-coated straight pipes. It sounds absolutely bitchin' at startup and while into the gas, but the places I race often have sound restrictions of 93db @50', and it drones a bit while cruising if above 1500rpm.

I was wondering if anyone has had success getting a custom cat-back system done with some universal mufflers, like those from Burns Stainless, Dynomax, or Moroso? I want the minimum amount of muffling needed to get back under 92-93db, so I can pass sound at Laguna Seca and my local autocrosses.

I would also be interested to hear if anybody has had luck passing similar sound limits with a common aftermarket system, like the Corsa. That would enable me to use such a system for noise-limited events and bust out the "loud pipes" elsewhere. :D

More questions to come later, thanks in advance!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corsa is very nice, no drone. With stock headers and cats i would think it would pass the needed db levels you stated.
PM ILLSMOQ, he has tried just about every combination, 2 or 3 times over,seriously. He has had burns, dynomax, B&B ,Corsa etc. Overall though, we both have been most happy with Corsa.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome j-rho!!! Congrats on your '04 SRT--pics and color??? We have the Corsa Track Exhaust and B&B stepped headers, flow-thru cats...no drone....AWESOME sound!~!
Great to have you onboard, and when you can post pics, please do!!!~~~~juli

OP
OP
J

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Juli,
It's a black Mamba edition, 002/200. My trip to get it story - last Friday left San Diego a little after noon with my Ram truck and my old race car in the trailer. Made it to Redding, CA, (670 miles) about 11:30pm. Checked into hotel, hit road about 6:30 the next morning. Dropped off old race car with new owner 145 miles north in southern Oregon at 9:00. Left there at 10:00am, and traveled another 420 miles north to Tacoma, WA to pick up the Viper. Left there around 5:30pm, then hit the road all the way back to Redding, made it in around 4am. Out the door before 7 the next morning, and back in San Diego by 5:30pm. A little over 2400 miles in about 53 hours, including stops for gas and to sleep, towing a 24' enclosed! :)

Haven't had much of a chance to take pics, but I did take this one before putting it away Sunday night. If the weather is nice I'll have it out at the San Diego autocross this Sunday, will try to get some more pics then. Between the loud pipes and the expired out-of-state registration, I am a bit nervous about driving it until I get at least the latter of those things sorted.

Looks like I may just go for the Corsa exhaust, so I can keep the straight pipes for appropriate occasions. What's everyone's favorite vendor for such things? Thanks!!
You must be registered for see images

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I may just go for the Corsa exhaust, so I can keep the straight pipes for appropriate occasions. What's everyone's favorite vendor for such things? Thanks!!

I've run then all without cats.

The Corsa has a very raw sound and is very loud, The other sytems using conventional mufflers have a smoother sound. With the crossover removed, Burns, Magnaflow and Aero Turbine are the only ones I've found to be acceptable in terms of loudness.

If you are keeping the cats you will be fine with any of them.

3" corsa track part number - 14174

You can find it on the internet for around $1250.00......with a little hunting you can find it in the $11xx.00 range.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
............what's a "flow-thru cat" ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

High-flow cat..we have to have them here.
j-rho---your car looks like ours!!! LOL...without the Mamba extras! Beautiful, ALWAYS go for BLACK!!! I'm sure your car sounds GREAT~~we love LOUD!! Thanx for telling us the story of how you got the car!!! Sounds like a great trip all in all. ENJOY! ~juli

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is "flow-thru" a brand name or something....like Random Tech or Borla? ....or is that just your way of saying "high flow"? :mf:

Its kinda like a "Super Blower"...............:quack:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is "flow-thru" a brand name or something....like Random Tech or Borla? ....or is that just your way of saying "high flow"? :mf:

Well, I've got it listed as 'flow-thru', and now you've got me searching for my paperwork!!
Which I cannot find...so, hmmmm....3" catalytic converters-pair-raw from Roe Racing is what's on the invoice....as well as Corsa 3" Track Cat Back System....whew...found it!
Hope this helps? Very funny with the fighting monkey~:omg: :rolaugh: ~juli

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL--straight thru cats...high-flow, flow-thru, whatever you wanta call 'em!!! :drive: ~juli

Well...I hope they go "straight through"...otherwise they probably wouldn't be "high flow"...though I'm sure they would still "flow"...thru?...or is it through?:dance:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....oh..is it a "fighting monkey"? I thought he was dancing...:pigsfly:

You be driving me NUTS-O!!! LOL...well, that is what the paperwork says!
Yep, flow-thru/through/high-flo/high-flow/hi-flo/hi-flow/HI-FLO! ~juli

OP
OP
J

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about some pics of your old race car? :)
It's probably not of much interest to those here, but here it is:
You must be registered for see images attach

and a video in-car:
http://www.jrho.com/sm240/jrhos.wmv

For those familiar with SCCA autocross classes, this car won the 2006 STS National Championship, and was then built to compete in the Street Modified class. I decided it was too much work with my schedule, and grew tired of the hassle of trailering the car everywhere, so I sold it. The 240 was actually faster than the Viper will be, but it's a case in point as to how enjoyment is not always about ultimate speed. I had a Honda S2000 for a few years back in 2000-2004, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the carefree simplicity of a car that's really good in stock form.

If I can figure out how to mount the camera I'll see if I can figure out how to get some good autocross in-car with the Viper.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I notice the hood emblem is missing, do you know if the previous owner just took the hood emblem off for looks or that the front bumper got a repaint?

OP
OP
J

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I notice the hood emblem is missing, do you know if the previous owner just took the hood emblem off for looks or that the front bumper got a repaint?
Yep, the car has a bit of a "history" to it that helped make the price more reasonable.

Did my first autocross in the car today, took me a few runs to get the hang of things, but in the end it worked really well. On the stock wheels and run-flats I was about 3 seconds behind an 8-9 time National Champion in a front-running and fully prepped Porsche GT3. And that was with the ABS not working! Gonna have to figure out what was happening there...

Has anybody had success fitting the adjustable Comp Coupe front swaybar to their SRT-10 with the stock AC components still in place?

OP
OP
J

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic and an ABS question

Here's a gratuitous pic from the autocross:

(I was comically disappointed to see the fancy magnets from my last car would not work here. :))

And an ABS question- my yellow abs dash light comes on every time I drive the car, once I go over about 20mph. It's off the next time I start it, but always comes back on. I have an OBD-2 reader, but it doesn't show any abs related info. Is there a way for me to diagnose which part of the system is malfunctioing, or do I have to take it to the dealer? The brakes work great, other than locking up when pressed too hard. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456