My Car in 1:18

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been very good at anything that even smells like art. That being said, I'm very happy with how this turned out.... :2tu:

Let me know what you think.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been very good at anything that even smells like art. Needless to say I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.... :2tu:

Let me know what you think.

picture.php

You want to know what I think? I think that looks great! Do you have time to do this kind of work for others?

Where do you guys go to find 1:18 Viper models? Is there a mother lode online somewhere or do you just stumble onto them in the kids section of department stores? I haven't been lucky enough to come across any when I'm in the stores.

Bob

OP
OP
W

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words!

As for where to find them; look around online. Various companies make die-cast Vipers and they can be found either at local toy stores or online. A company called Maisto happens to make a 1997 solid red GTS which is the exact car I own. After I changed my wheels and added flat black stripes I decided to do the same thing to a model.

Maisto also happens to make a GT2 Viper that has Gen II "ACR" style wheels. These are very close to my BBS LM wheels. I picked up one of those and swapped the wheels with the red GTS.

As for the stripes, I spent a long time at a local hobby shop talking about how best to tape and paint the stripes on my car. As you can tell from the pictures, I ended up using a spray paint made specifically for models. The key to the sharp edges and strait lines was the tape. If anyone wants a more detailed write up, feel free to ask.

I spent about 10 to 12 hours total on this little project.

See links below for more info on the two cars I used:

1997 Viper:
1997 Dodge Viper GTS diecast model car 1:18 scale die cast by Maisto - Red

GT2:
Maisto Products

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are a couple of drug store chains around where I live that have 1:18 scale Viper models, like he said a lot of kids toy shops have them too.

You want to know what I think? I think that looks great! Do you have time to do this kind of work for others?

Where do you guys go to find 1:18 Viper models? Is there a mother lode online somewhere or do you just stumble onto them in the kids section of department stores? I haven't been lucky enough to come across any when I'm in the stores.

Bob

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks excellent. I tried one with way less successful results.:(

First of all the only red GTS I found had a wing on it and silver stripes. My attempt to repaint the silver stripes flat black didn't work so well. :D

OP
OP
W

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that your last attempt didn't turn out so well. If you're interested in trying it again I can take the time and post a pretty detailed write up.

OP
OP
W

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I built the last one (above) as a gift for my g/f, I've always wanted to make myself one. Being stuck inside without power during the snow storm yesterday finally gave me the free time I had been waiting for...

Enjoy!

ViperModel_036.jpg

Used the GT2 to get the stripe width.

ViperModel_039.jpg

Put a mark in the paint where the tape should go.

ViperModel_041.jpg

Apply the tape

ViperModel_045.jpg

All exposed red parts will become black. I want the trim behind the hood...

ViperModel_048.jpg

The door sills...

ViperModel_050.jpg

and the trunk rim to be black.

ViperModel_051.jpg

A photo of my real car's intake (which I tried to duplicate)

ViperModel_080.jpg

Working on the air intake

ViperModel_052.jpg

ViperModel_053.jpg

Ready to be painted

ViperModel_054.jpg

After being sprayed

ViperModel_055.jpg

ViperModel_057.jpg

check out the air intake, the window trim and the door sills..

ViperModel_059.jpg

Then I took apart the GT2

ViperModel_061.jpg

and assembled the red car again. Front and rear bumbers still need to be painted and attached.

ViperModel_063.jpg

ViperModel_064.jpg

Complete!

ViperModel_068.jpg

ViperModel_074.jpg

ViperModel_077.jpg

ViperModel_079.jpg

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work! did the same for my 5 year old copying my Sapphire coupe unfortunately it now looks like its been in a demolition derby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice model! Here is a tip guys: 3M makes a tape called Fine Line. It is a blue (looks like vinyl pin stripe in the package) vinyl and comes in many different widths from 1/16" - 3/4". I have used it on many projects and the edges come out perfect.

le66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, you work is realy good, it's true, you can compare with my way for the strippes...(but it's the same work!!)

I used some Tamiya masking tape and I know the difficulties to up your masking with your tape, a different tape but not to up it on the body... like this:

To have some straight lines, I up them in long...

You must be registered for see images

cut them on the windows and when you met some holes...(front and rear bumpers)

you painted all the body in red...

and when the paint is dry whithout masking...

Here for you, at start you have your red body, but it's the same work and finish with a different way of work, the most important is the result... :2tu:

Ready to remove an other one? :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth