My Console Crack Solution

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK.... Credit to Lance and/or "02 Graphite GTS" (don't know if they are one in the same) for being the inspiration do go beyond just fixing the crack. His thread is copied below and the job he did was awesome.

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=602926

Problem is that while I have the skills to do the woodwork... I am a little tool restricted as I sold my Delta Table Saw a few years back!... so given that I am in the midst of a restoration of a '77 Vette, I have plenty of kitty hair fiberglass and resin to play with. I won't go into the details of the removal, crack fix, glues ect.... but I will show you what I did.

Basically, I pulled the console and fixed the crack in the way Lance mentioned in the thread.... Once there, I scuffed the inner portions on the console (you can see how it was done in the photos) including the ribs on the part. Cleaned it real well and then wrapped the thing up to protect the vinyl (side exposed in the interior of the car). I then went to town with a couple layers of fiberglass. To make life easy, I ripped, tore, pieces of the mat apart and then laid pieces in working my way across. I used epoxy resin (as opposed to polyester resin). I concentrated a bit more on the driver's side and where the crack was. I let it cure and...... it is now extremely rigid.

Here are a few shots of the finished product. You are looking at the underside of the center console. I masked well and covered the leather boot for the e-brake as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

While not neat... it works. Perhaps if I feel there is any hint of flex I don't like, I can simply mold in a wood peg for additional support. I'd glass it over and done. However, This is very strong and I doubt it will ever need anything else.

Hope this gives somebody else an idea or two... just an option...

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job Luisv !
As long as the top surface ( the outer skin where your arm rests) has not cracked through, this is a great way to fix an existing crack.
It looks like you sanded out the underside really good before laying in the resin and mat. You need to do this since there is a coating of mold release impregnated on it from when it was originally cast.

Lance

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job Luisv !
As long as the top surface ( the outer skin where your arm rests) has not cracked through, this is a great way to fix an existing crack.
It looks like you sanded out the underside really good before laying in the resin and mat. You need to do this since there is a coating of mold release impregnated on it from when it was originally cast.

Lance

Yes. The bottom was well sanded and then cleaned off with alcohol to clean the dust and residue. It was a bit oily like fresh armor all. That was the release agent. I also put a drop of resin down to test the adhesion... Could not pry it off with a screwdriver so I knew it would work.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my 99 GTS, I used two pieces of 1/8 inch thick aluminum about one inch wide and epoxy. The problem is caused by a lack of reinforcement to take the weight and stress caused by the arm and elbow repeatedly hitting the area. After that I had no more problems.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update since it's been about 3 months now and a pair of road trips... everything is still solid... looks like the fix worked out perfectly.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, they crack below and you cant see it up top?

What gave you a clue you even had an issue in the first place? ---

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a crease in the covering. If you do nothing about it, the crease may tear.