My DIY twin turbo build..

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The victim: 1995 RT/10. (yellow is the fastest color right?)

You must be registered for see images attach

Tuning - Roe Racing VEC 3. My VEC install thread

Fuel injectors - Re-sized side feed injectors. My side feed injector thread

Fuel system - Plan on dual in-tank walbro high pressure 255lph pumps.

Turbos - A couple of internally gated T3/T4 hybrids. .82 hot side/.70 compressor. Good for about 900hp in twin configuration and should be very responsive on the street.

Intercooler and piping - Ebay specials.

Motor mounts - I built solid mounts, but there are some issues and I may revise these or go with polyurethane. Solid mount thread

So far I have the passenger side turbo hung with the exhaust piping. This is the harder of the two sides as the HVAC box/fan is above the turbo location and will require some creative pipe routing.

This setup retains the stock exhaust manifolds.

I'm not looking to break any records, and I realize that the turbo's aren't optimal, but I had most of these parts laying around the garage and decided to give them a try. My goal with this build is about 700rwhp.

So why not a Roe or a Paxton? This turbo setup will cost me less than 2k out of pocket due to the parts I already have and I wanted to quiet the car down after removing the cats and stock mufflers. Also, anyone can buy a paxton/roe and throw it on. It takes a lot of time and skill to design and build your own turbo kit, which I find rewarding.

Oh yea, and lets face it, twin turbos are way cooler than superchargers.. :D

Bash away!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gutsy, i like it :drive:

what do turbos do to the exhaust sound :dunno:

looks like you are going to be loud :omg:

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust wheel of the turbo acts just like a muffler taking the exhaust pulses and chewing them up and spitting out a nice quiet whistle. I am predicting it will be close to as quiet as stock when done.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attended a Champ Car race many years back. The support race was a trans-am type series car. The NA V-8 without mufflers was waaaay louder than the turbo Champ Cars; almost a let-down.

Andy, I admire the jump in with two feet DIY effort. Best of luck. Warning - when you're done people will want a realistic price for doing it themselves, too.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to hear how it runs. Reminds me of when I fabricated a turbo setup on a 383 big block about 18 years ago... in a plain jane 1985 D150 pickup..
Cheers,
Mike

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The turbos do make it quieter...

But there isn't a better sound in the world....:D

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you go about choosing those turbos? I think you're going to have a lot of back pressure and be wheezing for air on the top end. Otherwise, it looks go so far. :)

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good luck ive been there never did it though good thread let me know how you made out with larger side feed im still looking into doing that on my 95 have never got the rt injector so let me know if you master the rite size feed injector to use

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good Luck, You'll love the power Turbo's make & quietly. I'm still learning how to drive mine.Made me realize what a bad driver I Am.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good luck ive been there never did it though good thread let me know how you made out with larger side feed im still looking into doing that on my 95 have never got the rt injector so let me know if you master the rite size feed injector to use

I don't know if I have ever seen a post with absolutely no punctuation. Nice!:2tu:

:D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Awesome fortitude!

Can you chrome it? (heh heh!)

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I walk into the garage and think hey maybe I'll clean the garage, detail the car, bleed the brakes you walk into the garage and say hey maybe I'll slap a turbo on my car!Good luck sool project!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, good-one goldcup:)

cant wait to see the rusult Mac:2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you suggesting you'll be able to run with RED cars now?

:lmao:

And yeah, as a fabricator myself, you've got a pair I respect. Just don't let the hood vent bug get to you.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After spending a week in the Dominican, I got a chance to work on the car a bit more. Snaked the air inlet for the turbo up around the HVAC stuff so I wouldn't have to mount the air filter under the car.

Also have the charge pipe routed up into the engine bay as well.

Currently working on hanging the drivers side turbo so I can figure out where to merge the two charge pipes into one 3" and out into the intercooler.

Later,

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you confident in your internal waste gates ability to release enough exhaust gas to control boost?

Oil scavenge will be a serious pain in the ass as well, in the end it would have been cheaper for you to build headers to place the turbo's in a position where oil could have been gravity fed back to the oil pan.

Besides that good luck on the build.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you confident in your internal waste gates ability to release enough exhaust gas to control boost?

Nope,lol.. It has been in the back of my mind though. I can port the WG hole a bit before I have to resort to external gates.

Oil scavenge will be a serious pain in the ass as well, in the end it would have been cheaper for you to build headers to place the turbo's in a position where oil could have been gravity fed back to the oil pan.

The turbo oil drains are 1" above the oil pan's lip. I think I will try the gravity drain first, but have a pump and turbo timer in the wings ready. (turbo timer for running pump after the motor is shut off for a short period.) I was originally just going to bite the bullet and run the scavenge pump, but it is one less thing to fail if I leave it out.

Besides that good luck on the build.

Thanks,

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the time you get fittings on the oil drains and run the line back to the pan there is no way you will be able to get away with no pump. To pull it off on my car the turbo oil drain is roughly 3-4 inches above the top of the pan and even then we had bets going on if it would smoke or not(I won).

However the next car we did used different turbo's and headers which were about 1.5-2 inches above the pan line and that thing smoked like a steam train. I mean the old spy hunter game had nothing on this car. We had to do many things to make it stop and just putting on a sump pump was the first step of many.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Canadians and your diesels....AWESOME!!!!!

All the great Detroit motors live above the 45th parallel:
Ford 300 straight 6 (in any fuel you desire)
Detroit Diesel 6.2L/6.5L
Ford 7.3L
Cummins 5.9L

I find it common for a Canadian to have a few Ford 7.3L and 6.5L parts laying around! Great build and inspiration to us who ponder those "what ifs" after a few cold ones (I understand it taks less cold ones for you Canadians ;) )

Keep it up - I'm watchin!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbos definitely quiet the exhaust, but they definitely increase under hood sound heard from inside the car. The sound of all that air rushing through the piping is one of a kind.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..............to us who ponder those "what ifs" after a few cold ones (I understand it taks less cold ones for you Canadians ;) )

If your beer wasn't so "***** like", it wouldn't take 20 beer to get drunk... :rolaugh:

Got the other turbo hung today, will have pics tomorrow.

Later,