My First Autocross Event

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got there this morning at 5:15AM and it was still dark outside. There were already about 100 people in line, some with sleeping bags, many with chairs to sit on.

At about 6:30 the rest of the organizers came and an hour later. The waiting in line ended up being the best part, being able to talk with veteran drivers and hear their racing stories.

After getting our numbers and packets everyone went back to their cars, then the organizers ushered cars around to get everyone in a line for tech checkout. The line was VERY slow (Imagine leaving the parking lot from a sold out baseball game).

Then there are several stages of tech inspection, froma visual inspection (cracked windows, bald tires, fluid leaks) to pulling off a lug nut to see thread depth, to jacking the car up and checking bearing play/tie-rod ends, to running up your car to 30mph and coming to a stop.

After passing tech, you park your car in a row, and go out to watch the earliest cars run through the track. There's every kind of car here from Datsun 510 station wagons, to Vettes (all years), to Mini Coopers, to full race trailered cars. And they all race in different catagories.

As the lines for cars feed through slowly, two hours later it's time to move the cars to the final feed in line to the track.

Unfortunately, there has also been a threatening storm that has started to sprinkle lightly.

There are three runs, with the first one being a practice run, and the last two being the timed runs.

I went through the first time carefully to get a feel for the track, but there was a lot of mist now and it was overcast and difficult to see.

I must have missed one of the corners because the setup for the middle slalom was off from inside the car. On my second lap the cone recovery guys were waving to me to go some other way, and it went the same on my third lap.

Retrospectively, I think that I turned in too early all three times, but I couldn't see any other way through the sea of cones and mist.

I ended up with a DNF, and a new high water mark for one of my most embarassing incedents in my life.

..And this was why I had waited for 6 hours? For two minutes of driving, and making a fool of myself in front of a couple hundred people.

I should have had someone in line hold my place, so I could have walked the course and know where I was going. But I didn't know anyone, and the veterans in the line around me could run the course in their sleep.

Oh well. Live and learn.
frown.gif

Maybe I'll stick to the 1/4 mile tracks for a while.
At least I passed tech, and I didn't wreck the car.

-Dean.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey man don't feel bad..you showed up...and you'll be better next time. Walking the track is VERY important and DNF is VERY common...don't sweat it...everyone was still droolin over your ride anyway...eat em up next time!

My middle name is DNF but sometimes I pull it off!

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

Looking back I'm happier that I didn't have some problem in tech, and not get to run at all after four hours of waiting.

Also I didn't hit a pole, spinning out.
It's not like I was going to win any awards anyway because it was a tight track, which favored smaller 510s and 914s.

The 240Zs and WRXs had faster times than the Z06s, and all three laps I never got out of first gear. the driving was fun, but so short for the wait. One shot, three laps, goodbye.

I'm sure that I'll do another autocross event, but I'll try to pick one that has Vettes and Vipers so the track has more room to stretch out the car.

-Dean.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dean thanks for the play by play.
That long a wait REALLY does ****. For me it is time I would have just spent watching TV so a good trade off.

Hey you "Stepped outside your comfort zone" That is how you learn and grow.

I am especially glad I read your post. I am doing a autox next week I didn't know you had to jack the car up. Note to self <FONT size="-1">Find the jack.</FONT s>

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael,

Yeah, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As far as this event went, it was well organized and the techs were friendly and helpful.

They had tools to pull off the lug nut, and provided a jack for you to jack up your car.

Since half of the cars there were lowered (mine's stock height, but still low) they had wide wood block ramps to drive onto to fit the jack under the car.

They also had new helmets for those folks who forgot their helmets. You just need to give them your license in trade for the duration of the run.

Good Luck,
-Dean.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, you must have done the DeAnza college autoX, right?
You need to go to a regular event instead of a fundraiser. There are a few events in marina near montery coming up.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gabe,

Yeah, that was my original intention, to get a feel for the car's handling limits. But the tight course, and the rain made it less rewarding.

Feel free to post any pictures, or links to pics.
biggrin.gif

I saw one other Viper there, it was lowered, solid white, and a war torn veteran by the looks of it.

Mine is the only blue R/T10 with silver stripes that I know of.

There were a bunch of cool cars to see with Porsche 996TTs, a couple NSXs, and a showboat Skyline who was two cars ahead of me and who did smokey burnouts around the track, getting the crowd in a frenzy (if not fast times).

Plus a bunch of specialty race cars, all buried in a sea of neons, Hondas, and other raced-out econo cars.

-Dean.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have run autocross before, but this past sunday was the first time I ran my Viper. It was wonderful. This cars handling is so superior to other stock cars (corvettes, rx-7, saleen, etc). We had about 35 cars in the street tire class and I took first. After the event, a corvette guy came up to me and said that they were going to have to put me in another class. Sorry, the Viper is here to stay. The results are on the msscca.org page.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester, Great post and way to give it your best! I've only run AutoX 6 or 7 times but was told in my second one by a veteran (and used it to my benefit since) that the best gear to run in (for my Viper and the Panoz GTRS) is 2nd. Give it a try!
smile.gif

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I think that second would be great on a regular Corvette, Mustang, Porshe Auto-X course, with a little room to run out.
But this was a really tight, parking-lot course so first worked best.

-Dean.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's the autocrossing experience, I'll stay a poser.

6 hours before any racing?

Yeah, right. Life is way too short for that.

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, as my first auto-X experience, it wasn't a great one.
It's like waiting in line for a Disneyland ride for 6 hrs and it's over in 3 minutes.

I am looking forward to taking the car drag racing soon. As long as the crowds aren't too bad, at least I'll get more than one shot at it in case I make a mistake.

The full closed course track events look like even more fun, but they seem to be a rich man's sport, eating up tires, rotors, brake pads and fluids very quickly.

-Dean.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, it's time you took that puppy to a road race course. Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill (my personal favorite) or a Viperdays event. There's not much waiting and lots of seat time!

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Of course I'd love to. But from what I've read full track racing is a pricey proposition.

Your equipment list shows "TeamTech 5 points, Stoptech 4 wheel Big Brake package, Purner road course
wheels & Hoosiers" which is great preparation for just such events, and on top of brake pad, rotor, tire, fluid consumables, there is the track cost, and driver training courses to start.

At first glance this works out to roughly $500 to $1200 per race, with the price of the heavy upgrades bringing the cost up, but the per-race dropping as you attend more races.

In contrast, the cost of the DeAnza auto-X event was $15 (plus my considerable time waiting), and drag racing at $40 plus gas.

So I'm looking for something in-between the college student's racing solution, and the millionaire's recreational lifestyle.

-Dean.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean, I think that it is important to note that the mods to Ron's car are not necessary to participant in track events like Viper Days. There are classes for cars from completely stock to wildly modified. In fact some of us take on the learning challenge of trying to find out just how competitive a virtually stock Viper can be. It all comes down to driver skill and you can't begin to learn how to drive your Viper until you take it to the track.

Yes, track preparation is required. But this is really about good care of your car. It doesn't even require changing the pads as we have a VCA member who runs track events with stock pads!! So with just fresh fluids, a thorough brake bleed with good fluid, a check of tire pressures, a helmet, appropriate clothes and a few other thinkgs you can begin to learn how to really drive you car. Don't fail to take advantage of the learning opportunity that Viper Days and other similar events offers....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62