My first experiance with the Viper Tax

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I was at my mechanic getting the snake oyl muffler delete system installed last week (sounds great by the way :D) I was walking around the car while it was up in the air and I noticed the driving light (fog light?) lens was broken. needless to say I was not very happy but it happens all part of driving a car. So today I went to the dealership to order a new lens and I was told you can not order just the lens you have to order the entire assembly at a cost of $279.00 plus taxes :omg:. needless to say I did not order it. Has anyone else had this happen if so is there an alternative source for these lenses or am I going to have to cough up the $300.
Thanks Stew

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY common occurance. Not sure when you bought your car/warranty, but SOME dealers (only the best) will warranty this for you.

Whatever you do, either seal up the lense (with silicone caulking) or in the event you replace the assembly, use a vinyl lense cover. That's the only way you can keep it from breaking.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:Another reason to wear a BRA!! Speed Lingerie (spelling?) has protective clear fog light covers built into their bra to prevent normal breakage and damage, not to mention the overall protection to the front end. My Gen I is red and the color match and fit and is excellent! Just a thought!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad. Same thing with the fog light on my 02 Dakota 4x4. Can't just buy the clear lense...have to buy the entire fixure, yet the lense simply unscrews...about the same price as the Viper too.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your Viper? I'm assuming you have a later Gen II as it's posted in this forum and the earlier GenII had protective lens covers

OP
OP
R

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, warranty is not an option as it is an 2001 rt/10 that I purchased out of the U.S. last year and I brought it back to Ontario as soon as you do this Chrysler voids any remaining warranty (nice of them isn't it). So I will have to make some call over the next couple of days. I found a dealer out of Ohio selling them on ebay for $159 so I will be calling him also. It just seems crappy that you are forced to buy the entire assembly when the lens comes off and it is not a sealed unit. What are these covers you guys have mentioned ? or are they not an option for an 01.
Thanks Stew

OP
OP
R

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have posted replies to my question here, I have spoken to Jon B. at Parts Rack (as recommended by Paul Hawker and Ratical 2) and once he found out that I lived in Ontario he told me to call Chuck Tator as he is closer to me and would probably get it to me a little quicker than he could. It was so nice to speak to someone that was not out to grab my money and to actually offer honest advice. Thanks Very much Jon B. at Parts Rack.

OP
OP
R

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes Baz you are correct Jon B. (Parts Rack)told me it started out life as an Audi Part then as a VW part, but Chrysler still sells it cheaper than either of the two afore mentioned manufactures.
Crom, yes I really do like the sound from the snake oyl system the only issue I had with it was getting it unpacked. I think you must of used two rolls of packing tape :D. Thanks once again Crom
Stew

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would of thought Audi parts would be more $$$

Might be worth taking advantage of Chucks Extra Discount while it lasts.....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im also pretty sure its the same as my 98 dodge ram trucks fog light. i just never tried it to see. i think i paid like 70 for the trucks light....