My PCV valve and hoses don't match the parts manual

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 1998 GTS vacuum hoses do not match the 1998 parts manual. The car and engine were built in October 1998, so maybe it was a late changeover? My hoses look like the 1999 style in the pictures. Anyways, there is an "S" shaped hose coming out of a grommet that looks like part number 5 in the 1999 pic. But the "S" hose is way bigger than the part shown in number 4. It does appear to connect to part number 1. Is that grommet and hose behind the thermostat housing the PCV valve or is it the TEE in part number 1? It appears I would have to take the intake plenum off to get to it if it's part number 4 and 5, unless some of you have tried a hanger and some finesse?.

I have oil leaking into the valley and it originates from the grommet.

1998 parts manual that mine doesn't look like:
You must be registered for see images attach

1999 parts manual:

P.S. I did a search, unfortunately the word "PCV" does not meet the four letter minimum.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhere in that timeframe, they went from PCV to orifice control ventilation. It has been my experience that shop and parts manuals are 6 months to a year behind reality.

02rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get the pics from? Is there a parts manual available? or is it out of the service manual? just wondering cause I was thinking of getting a service manual just so I have one(not sure where to get it from)...but was wondering how detailed it was...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just so happens that I have my intake off the engine right now and can take pics of the CCV orifice (grommet that plugs into the top of the engine behind the thermostat with a plastic metered fitting that ties into the S-hose thing. It is very difficult to get that grommet off without removing the intake. You may be able to remove it with the intake on by inserting something flat and long enough to get under the rubber grommet and pry it loose WHILE pulling on the S-hose attached to it. Simply pulling on that hose will only cause the plastic fitting to come out of the grommet. Likewise, installation can be fun too. When I installed a new CCV grommet I push it into the opening and accidentally cause the platic fitting connected to it to drop into the lifter valley. :D

I'll post some picture of the area in question, hopefully it'll help.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a view of the S-Hose that connects to the CCV (Crankcase Ventilation) grommet on top of the block, behind the T-Stat. I cracked my hose trying to remove it a while back but it was brittle at the time.

This is the actual rubber grommet that plugs into the top of the block above the lifter valley. It has a plastic barbed ****** attached to it that the S-Hose connects to:

This is the S-Hose:

Maybe it's just my engine but even today with the intake removed and easy access to this grommet I found it very difficult to remove. I'd definitely work on this with the intake removed.

I've since capped off the CCV and I'm utilizing a breather system from AC Performance but that's a different topic and can be found in the Illustrated's Section.

Capped CCV Orifice.

I hope this helps. - tony

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a million Tony. Were the intake gaskets reusable, or should I order new ones? Everything on the GEN2 engine is completely different than my GEN1.

02rt10, the parts manuals are available at http://www.roeracing.com/productcart/pc/Original-Equipment-Parts-d7.htm
The service manual is completely detailed in taking stuff apart.

The intake gaskets are not reusable. They are paper and should be replaced. They're fairly inexpensive and I recently ordered mine from VPA. I'd also give Chuck Tator a call too for some tips.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the parts diagram is alittle off. It makes it look like the pcv valve goes directly in the gromet when in reality there is the "S" hose that goes from the gromet to the pcv or orafice. When i ordered all the stuff to replace on my GTS i just called the Wizard and he said: "yea the parts diagam is alittle confusing on that" and he just sent me everything i needed. If anyone is confused about any part on their Viper i strongly suggest giving the Wizard a ring. He is more than happy to make sure that you get what you need(with a VCA discount) and he'll mail it to you quickly

Check out this thread for some reference on the pcv-to-otrafice topic:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/642193-1998-PCV-Valve?highlight=1997PCV1

and you might be able to pull the part# off of my pic for the S hose:

1997PCV1.JPG

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dom, mine definately doesn't look like yours. I have no grey PCV valve. My hose is more "S" shaped also. I just ordered a 99' gromet, pipe fitting, and hose from Chuck. I also ordered all the stuff for the timing chain cover, but I'm not convinced it's coming from the cover gasket. It looks fairly dry around the top of the timing chain cover, but very wet around the grommet. Anyone else have a grommet go bad?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235