NASA Mid Ohio Report (April 2011)

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 2011 NASA Great Lakes Racing Season is underway!

April’s Mid Ohio event had it all. Rain, Clouds, Sun, Cold, Heat, Smoke…….

Friday’s weather proved to be a challenge for anyone not driving a truck. Lots of work was done on the cars since all but 1 car (read truck) sat in the paddock.

Saturday arrived with much better weather, but the track was still wet and questionable for the morning practice and qualifying sessions. None the less it was time to race.

SU filled in with the usual suspects from Davison’s Truck to Goldrich’s 911 GT2 to Gewirtz’ Disaio. David Davison set the fastest SU qualifying time with a blistering 1:46.767, but Goldrich came from the back of the SU field (having qualified with a person best 2:28.118) to take the win. Davison held on for 2nd while Randy Walker took the bronze.

ST1 was a 3 on 1 Viper Vette Challenge. Edmonson took the pole and the John Deer Vette went wire to wire in ST1, but was DQ’d for PUY. That left the podium all vipers with Ray Sweers 1st, Alan Sweers 2nd and Scott Welham 3rd. Round one to the Vipers.

ST2 had a few battles within the battle. Bombach, Martin and Mars brought their “AI” cars strapped with Hoosiers and prepared to charge the vette field. Wally Hessami dragged his ZO6 up from the Mid Atlantic to give the GL guys a run too. It was an early epic battle between Forbis and Hassami, but Forbis got the better of him when his engine ventilated itself on the backstretch. Forbis then turned on the iPod and put on the cruise control, forgetting about the rest of the field. Dean Martin stormed through traffic, with Greg Vannuchi’s Lotus in tow, and caught Forbis in a traffic jam, sneaking on through. Martin’s times were 1.6 seconds slower, but he held on. Overall battle Martin, Forbis, Vannuchi. Round one to the Mustangs.

Sundays weather was looking even better, but the rapid change overnight left everything damp and many scratching their heads about what, how or if to qualify. Less than half the field qualified and the pole was set by Vannuchi in his Lotus, but mechanicals put him on the road back to Iowa. Cisler capitalized and put his landshark C4 on the pole.

SU was a washout. Goldrich owned the day with little challengers as Walker, Bagnoli, Davison and Gewirtz all departed with mechanical issues before the checker.

ST1 grew to a 4 to 1 Viper Vette battle as Pintaric entered the fray. Pintaric got the edge while Edmonson followed closely. After a FCY Edmonson got a jump and went to the front. With a few laps to go the Viper stood on its nose at T7 and retook the lead. The Viper prevailed with Pintaric taking the win followed by Edmonson and Ray Sweers. Round two to the Vipers.

ST2 started with Cisler on pole and what appeared to be an insurmountable lead on the rest of the field. The shark ran like hell but ultimately surrendered the lead to a trio of Mustangs who steamrolled through the field. Orawiec and Rookie Liddle pushed the pace in their C4’s but could not hold them off. Forbis, having lost his tranny, and Hessami were watching from the grandstands. The podium was all Ford with Martin, Mars and Bambach cleaning house. Round two to the Mustangs.

Next up – Putnam Park May 13-15. We’re talking Friday afternoon enduro and weekend sprint races. This is our only trip to Putnam this year so don’t miss it!

John Graber
NASA Great Lakes
Super Touring Director

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

McCannRacing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was great to be back at the track. Really enjoyed racing with NASA and meeting new faces as well as seeing some old friends again. See you all at Putnam Park.

McCann Racing

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice write up Dave, except, please explain the SU class, as I am having a tough time understanding how a guy running a personal best of 2:28 won over another driver on the pole at 1:46. Figure I missed something, but wanted to ask?

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice write up Dave, except, please explain the SU class, as I am having a tough time understanding how a guy running a personal best of 2:28 won over another driver on the pole at 1:46. Figure I missed something, but wanted to ask?

Bill, I honestly don't know. I looked at the results and can't figure that one out either; maybe a typographical error?

SU is an unlimited class, like SCCA GT1 but even more radical.

ST1 has a HP/weight limit of 5.5:1, close (a bit better actually) to SCCA STO levels, so my 3,333 lb car can have as much as 606 RWHP (it doesn't).

ST2 has a HP/weight ratio of 8.7:1, close to SCCA T1 levels.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job David! You and Mike are getting to know each other and have a nice little rivalry developing. He is still a newbie, though, PUY???

Bill, John Graber, who wrote that up, is barely literate and was probably putting this together on an ipod with multiple Patron marg's onboard while driving down I-73. (this isn't SCCA...LOL) Give him a break!

So, Dave, where was Danny Popp in the frey? I saw he did some slow TT sessions (in some strange numbered car)...did he borrow someone's car?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave