Need Help from you Viper Experts

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first Viper; I owned a 2001 Vette Conv modified that was fun to drive but a lemon to own. I don't want to repeat that experience; too many trips to the dealer for warranty work. I had 36K miles on that one. I'm looking at an 04 used but was thinking I should get a new 05 because of improvements? From recent posts I'm getting the impression that the hot sills are not improved which I thought the 05 had. Intellichoice said the Viper has a low repair record but I'm getting the impression from some posts that this isn't true. Maybe it's low because so many of you Viper owners don't drive them much;I will. I don't want to be taking this car to the shop every month or even more which was the case with the Vette. I realize the Viper driving experience is unparalled but nothing is worth constant quality problems. I would get an extended warranty with it but I'd rather not have to take advantage of it all the time! For those of you with good ownership experience on the latest generation, I'd appreciate your opinion.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be certain that you put some extended test time into the car before purchase (or if you have a friend with an SRT-10 Viper who can let you drive it on a variety of roads). While some use the Viper as a daily driver, the majority do not. Independent of reliability (your issue with the Corvette) is an acceptance that this is an entirely different vehicle. You will have to decide whether the added expense for a 2005 is worth the price difference since the changes between 2003-2005 have been modest.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Reaction score
In my opinion, based on owning 5, Vipers are very reliable. Are they 100% free of problems? NO! but every vehicle I have owned has required service. Considering the Performance vs reliability, I would expect the viper to be the best of the Exotic Performance market.

I would buy a 2005, with the latest little improvements.

Reaction score
Since I've had my first Viper for TWO days now, I consider myself an expert, so here's my take.

If its going to be a daily driver, buy a Lexus.

If its for FUN, SPEED and LOOKS, to safely drive on a gorgeous sunny days with both hairs blowing in the wind, buy a 05 Viper and have a constant *****.
Signed,
Two day expert

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with "two day expert". i have not owned my viper as long as many of you have,but i have ZERO buyer's remorse. it is definately a different animal than a Corvette. don't hurry your decesion.

Doc

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got mine for 6 months now and love every minutes of it when driving it. Using it for "daily driving" not sure. I think it will not be okay to use in the stop and go traffic. Just my 2 cents.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call BILL PEMBERTON ( WOODHOUSE DODGE ), bill has sold many many many of us
vipers and knows what he's talking about. i think he would be of the most help
as to the difference's between 04-05. i just purchased my third viper which is
my second srt/10. 04/05 mainly the same car however the standard warranty is
better for the 04 because the drive train is warranted for 7/70, the 05-3/36.
buy the 04 take the extra cash not needed for extended warranty and buy yourself
some nice mods. if i can be of any help feel free to email me [email protected]

goodluck, I purchased a 2004, tom

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget most people only post their problems here, the majority of people who's Vipers are running good are too busy out having fun with them!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a daily driver. I drive it more than 1000 per month on the average, and I've had it for almost a year and a half.

I haven't had any reliability problems, but I've been pretty pro-active in the way of mods with the two major known issues with this car.

The two areas where the car seems to have issues are the oil pan (oil starvation if you take the car to the treack) and the rear gears. I changed the oil pan out right away, but I ran my car very hard for a year with no problems with the stock rear end. I've sinced changed to a Quaife rear end for performance reasons.

Bottom line for me is that my car has been very reliable. I think that it is likely to be one of the most reliable high performance cars you are going to find, simply because it's relatively simple. It's just a big, low compression, low revving 2 valve single cam engine surrounded by similarly simple components. It's not super tuned from the factory and is able to make big power without being wound up tight like some higher tech cars.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't track your car regularly, you shouldn't HAVE to do any modding and the car should be reliable.

I drive my SRT daily (just no snow) for the past year and have had no problems of any kind.

It's a little tougher to drink coffee while driving it but it's doable if the cup isn't filled... I also let the coffee cool down a little before taking off just as a precaution ;)

OP
OP
V

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight guys (or gals?). I am hoping the Viper is reliable because of its relatively less complicated technology and tuning. I won't be tracking it, I'm aware of its possible rear end problems and don't have any qualms about going to a Quaife rear end because I "heard" a lot of good about it. I just want to put the top down and have some instant gratification without having to go to the service department! I don't mind going in once or twice a year, particularly for maintenance rather than repair. I find the car comfortable (5'10", 180 lb) and value control over ride. I don't intend to take it out on rainy days but is the top leak-free? I also don't intend to do daily driving with it but I may for a while until I can afford a second car pmt on top of the Viper pmt!

Yes, I had a nice conversation with Bill Pemberton and he recommended an 05; that's a good point about the 04 on the warranty though - hmmmm. Might have to get back with him on that. I'm working on my finances (down pmt) as I'm not a rich man like most of you.

I can't wait too long because I don't know if DC is making anymore convertibles next year as they are probably going to devote their production to coupes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave