Need help with New Head Unit Installation.......05 Viper

BossGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, im back on the scene. Just got an 05 viper convertible, yellow. I am trying to install a new head unit in the car, got the harness from Metra....and all the other goodies, but i have come to find out that this car has a factory amp. What do you guys use to install a head unit in this car? What harness? Do you bypass the amp? How? I would like to retain the factory sub.....

I searched around and couldnt find anything helpful.....

Thanks for any advice guys.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy the adapter for your head unit to Dodge. Plugs right in. If you want to use the amp in the new unit you will have to bypass stock amp.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're using most single din stereos, the factory amp, while certainly not the best in the world will be better than the internal power from the head unit. Just use the regular dodge adapter, and make sure you connect the blue remote wire from the stereo to the blue remote wire on the adapter, as this is what's used to trigger the factory amp to come on.

should look like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-2008-Dodge...447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57e9aadf

Neverenough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The RCAs are for running low level from the new head unit to the factory amp. Most modern head units come with low level rca outputs

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what do those RCAs coming off the harness plug into?

Nothing unless you are adding amps. If you use the adapter plug it will run the signal thru the factory amp. The rca's on my head unit are 5amp and not suitable to tie into the factory amp.

Neverenough

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing unless you are adding amps. If you use the adapter plug it will run the signal thru the factory amp. The rca's on my head unit are 5amp and not suitable to tie into the factory amp.

This adapter is made for external amplified chrysler systems, it only has the RCAs no high level wires. Aren't all rca outputs on head units 3v pre amp? Anyway the head unit I used had 3 sets of pre amp out RCAs, Front R&L, Rear R&L and Subwoofer R&L. I plugged the front and rears into the adapter and ran cable from the subwoofer RCAs to my trunk for an add on Amp and subs. If you are using the regular dodge adapter don't you have to disable the head units amp?

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not the adapter I'm suggesting he use. If he wants to add amps fine, if not just get a his brand to Dodge adapter and plug it in. Mine had a plug on each end, no bare wires to mess with. That's all that has to be done if he wants to use the factory amp. Some head units are 3 v and others like Eclipse and some Sony's are 5 volt.

OP
OP
B

BossGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping to just install the head unit and i guess keep the factory amp....however i too question, if the head unit is going to be sending juice out to the factory amp, wont that be too much power?

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you won't listen to someone that has installed hundreds of radios please take it to a stereo shop and have them install it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456