Need Help with Squeaky brakes on 02 GTS

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help with my squeaky brakes on my 02 GTS. The car only has 425 miles on it. It squeaks like crazy when the brakes are lightly applied, like crawling up to a stop light. I have tried applying the brakes really hard, reverse slams, etc...nothing is reducing this crazy loud squeak. I have heard that you can apply a spray to the brakes and that helps to reduce the vibration causing the squeak. Please help with this annoying problem. Thanks, Robert

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 01 GTS/ACR due to having track pads on there (Stoptech front and rear). It was annoying and kind of embarrasing. I got with JonB at Partsrack, and swapped out for the new Stoptech Street Performance pads. The brake squeal went away, and they seem to perform very well too. If you opt to swap out your pads, make sure you bed the knew ones in properly!

You can also try cleaning off the rotors to see if that helps, but it sounds like you may have track pads on there now.

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM pads squeal like crazy. Just their nature. My '01 pads squeal like you would not believe. The only way to really get rid of it is to change out the OEM pads with a different pad.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing with "02 RT 10. I swapped out the pads for EBC Reds, much less brake dust and no squeak. I also took a scotch brite pad and took the gloss off of the rotors. I'm very happy now

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 97 GTS, and am now on my second 96 GTS and they all had squeeky brakes. I put the RED EBC pads on this one and the squeek is gone...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will squeal less over time. On my '01, it was annoying for the first 3-4,000 miles, but it became less noticeable with miles. Or maybe I just became deal in the break squeal decibel range. ;)

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you guys had good luck with the EBC reds. Mine sqeeked like nothing I had heard before. Changed them out for Hawks and the sqeeking is gone. I don't think the Gen III oads work on Gen II's, but I have set of reds in my garage I will ship to someone if they want them. Just pay the shipping.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can spray the rotor and pads with brake cleaner, and get brake anti-squeel treatment to spray on the back of pads (it is usu the contact of metal surfaces that makes the squeel, rather than the pad to rotor).

PS-Suggest you drive the car more, it will result in far fewer issues down the road.

Last edited:

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the ebc reds and was wondering can I just put them on with the stock rotors or should I wait and get new rotors, the sqeeking is driving me nuts.

Thanks Jeff

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ebc reds and was wondering can I just put them on with the stock rotors or should I wait and get new rotors, the sqeeking is driving me nuts.

Thanks Jeff

You can just swap them out for your current pads, and clean up the rotors you have on there now. I used some steel wool and brake cleaner to get off as much of the prior pad material and glaze before I bedded the new brake pads. No worries, and no freakin squeal!

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we are talking about pads, how do the EBC reds and any other pads you can think of for street/track use stack up against stock pads concering stopping performance?

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can just swap them out for your current pads, and clean up the rotors you have on there now. I used some steel wool and brake cleaner to get off as much of the prior pad material and glaze before I bedded the new brake pads. No worries, and no freakin squeal!

Thanks for the info, also because I am not really good at telling when rotors are bad whats the easiest way to tell the car has 16k miles on it and I am not sure if they have ever been changed very unlikely. Reason I ask is because I was thinking of waiting till I have the extra money for the ebc slotted rotors from john at partsrack but these brakes sound bad and leave way to much brake dust for my taste.

Thanks Jeff

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put them on the stock rotors..ALWAYS get your rotors turned before you put on new pads.....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put them on the stock rotors..ALWAYS get your rotors turned before you put on new pads.....

I know the old addage of always turning the rotors, but if you inspect them for grooves and they aren't warped, you are fine to clean the old pad material off of them and put the new pads on. I haven't had any issues at all doing this. BUT, you have to make sure the rotors are still in good shape to begin with.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, also because I am not really good at telling when rotors are bad whats the easiest way to tell the car has 16k miles on it and I am not sure if they have ever been changed very unlikely. Reason I ask is because I was thinking of waiting till I have the extra money for the ebc slotted rotors from john at partsrack but these brakes sound bad and leave way to much brake dust for my taste.

Thanks Jeff

Rotors need to be measured for minimum width, and can be turned to level and remove excess glaze and residue. Mine had 10.5K miles when I swapped out the track pads, and all I did was scuff with some steel wool and brake cleaner. Unless your car has has some serious track time or extra hard street use, I don't see how your rotors would be out of spec width wise or in need of replacement. If in doubt, bring them to a brake professional, and have them measured for warpage. Rare, but a minor possibility.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know the old addage of always turning the rotors, but if you inspect them for grooves and they aren't warped, you are fine to clean the old pad material off of them and put the new pads on. I haven't had any issues at all doing this. BUT, you have to make sure the rotors are still in good shape to begin with.

ditto this.
I just swapped out my pads onto the original rotors with 8k miles on them and I couldn't be happier with the results both in terms of the dust and noise. Like was said earlier make sure you take the sheen off of the rotor with a scotch brite or light sand paper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth