Need Winching and Strap Down Advice for Covered Trailer

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greetings Viper Owners!
I need some advice and recommendations for hauling my Gen 3 Vert in a covered hauler. I have on order a custom 20' Featherlite Covered Trailer with winch built inside the floor with a remote cable and need some help
Here's where I need assistance on:

1.) If I want to load the vehicle by myself, what tips can you share when either driving or winching the vehicle inside of the trailer. I have very minimal room on the sides and I am thinking that winching is my best option. Is there something I can purchase that would mount to the front end that would allow me to connect to quickly so I can attach the winch hook to? If I recall, I've seen some images with a device that protrudes through the front facia. Any ideas?

2.) If I were to drive the vehicle into the trailer, are there any assist tools offered for trailers such as mirrors etc.
Sorry, "curb feelers" are out of the question LOL!

3.) What straps are best for anchoring the vehicle down with and in what manner is recommended? (such as points on the car)
Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
ZDigital1

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Viper Owners!
I need some advice and recommendations for hauling my Gen 3 Vert in a covered hauler. I have on order a custom 20' Featherlite Covered Trailer with winch built inside the floor with a remote cable and need some help
Here's where I need assistance on:

1.) If I want to load the vehicle by myself, what tips can you share when either driving or winching the vehicle inside of the trailer. I have very minimal room on the sides and I am thinking that winching is my best option. Is there something I can purchase that would mount to the front end that would allow me to connect to quickly so I can attach the winch hook to? If I recall, I've seen some images with a device that protrudes through the front facia. Any ideas?

2.) If I were to drive the vehicle into the trailer, are there any assist tools offered for trailers such as mirrors etc.
Sorry, "curb feelers" are out of the question LOL!

3.) What straps are best for anchoring the vehicle down with and in what manner is recommended? (such as points on the car)
Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
ZDigital1

Hello, I've been hauling my cars for years in an enclosed box and that includes a Comp Coupe without using a winch. The fact that you have a winch will make it very easy to do by yourself. They come with a remote operator so you can always walk around the car and adjust the wheel if need be. Most importantly you will want to jack up the nose of the trailer to take some angle out of the loading ramp. Even with a ****** tail ramp the car is too low to get in w/out scraping the chin. A couple of two by eight planks will help this also. As far as pulling it on you simply need to find the factory tie down under the front end and hook up there. Make sure until you get use to doing this that you protect the chin by putting a thick towel around the cable where it can possibly rub the chin. Once you are on all you need to do is hook up the j hook straps to the factory tie downs in both front and rear. Then you will want to cross or x at least the rear strapes to prevent the car from possibly sliding sideways. I only do the rear unless I am going really far then I'll x both front and rear. Ratchet the car down tightly and then put on the E brake when finished ratcheting. Do not put the car in gear for you will have slight movement and you don't want to stress the transmission. This is the way I've hauled for years w/out ever having an incident. I'm sure you will get other opinions/advice but this method has always worked for me and I have owned six Vipers, a Ford GT and numerous high end hotrods. Good Luck and P.S. the dealer you are getting the trailer from should be able to assist you also with this matter. Dan

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Try AW Direct for tow gear. I use their stuff and it works very well. They are also very helpful on the phone. www.awdirect.com

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Viper X
Great source and many options to chose from. I will definately give them a call!
Thanks again for sharing.
ZDigital 1

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the frame slots are designed for "J" hooks but rather "R" hooks. I think the "Js" would fit but not as well as the "R" hooks. I also use AW Direct and they're a great resource.
Jon at PartsRack sells a bolt-on front tow hook that attaches to the frame cross member in front of the radiator and protrudes through the top of the front facia. Easy to put on and off and important to have on the track if you ever need a tow out of a gravel trap.

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks DavidSB
The Tow Hook is exactly what I had in mind for winching but had no idea what they were called or where to purchase.
Thanks for the info!