New Battery, New Stereo and now Alarm keeps going off

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a new battery and a new stereo system in my 06 SRT Coupe, and now the alarm will go off when I'm out of range i think, or it may go off a few minutes after I set the alarm, I can't figure out the rationale.

I also had an issue with the guys at the shop giving me a reversed battery which I didn't notice until it sparked when I installed it, but i don't' think i shorted anything out since all the electronics work.

I've tried resting the key fob by holding two buttons together, but don't get the tell tail honk.

I also get the three honk tamper warning when I unlock the car. I'm just not locking up the car now, but it sits in a public condo garage so don't want to keep doing that.

Any suggestions?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news, but sounds like the shop that did the install did not know what they were doing! Have you contacted them and informed them of the problem? With issues like this its hard to know where to start. You really need a good Auto electrical tech to get to the bottom of it. Is the Alarm stock or aftermarket? What unit was installed and by whom? Did they cut any wires or did they use a after market connector. Are you using the factory amp and speakers or is the whole system new? Just trying to be honest here, there are a lot of variables when someone installs something new. Maybe some other Viper owners in your Region could recommend someone.
Good Luck.
Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the install my self, didn't cut any wires, I bought all the harnesses needed for the install. All amps and speakers are stock right now. I've done this sort of thing on all my cars, so didn't think it was going to be an issue and installing it was easy and everything around the system works perfectly..

The alarm is all stock, and actually it was acting up even before I installed the stereo. It all started when my battery died, and i had to install a new one, and they gave me a battery with reversed polls. Does that help at all?

I might try hooking up my OBDII to see if I get a reading, but if anyone knows whats going on, let me know. Thanks.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a little slow, so bare with me here...they gave you a battery with reversed poles (I don't know what that means)...did you hook it up with the power lead from the viper to the ground of the battery and the ground lead from the viper to the power outlet of the battery...or did you install one side and just touched the other and got that spark you're talking about? Did you get another battery or are you still working with the 'reversed pole' one?

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah ha, OK, well that clears a lot of things up, when you mentioned the battery I presumed the whole install had been done by a 3rd party, sorry :)

So this is now looking as if it could be a Battery related problem. I know there is a procedure where you ground out one of the earth wires to re-set things, Thing is Im getting older now and cant remember the procedure!

What problems were you getting with the Alarm before then?

OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry not explaining it right, and i'm probably using all the wrong terminology. They gave me whats called a reversed cell, so the positive terminal is where the negative one is supposed to be. Some cars need this set up, but very few, so I'm not sure why the hell he gave me one. I was trying to install the "bad" battery, connected one terminal and then touched the other and got a spark, saw something wasn't right and went back to the shop to get the right battery and have that installed now. I haven't check the fuses yet, but I figured nothing shorted since everything was working fine.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you don't check the polarity of the terminal positive red , the spark means you have blown the 15amp fuse in the centre its the only with a black tab around it ,just replace it . Its the battery memory fuse for the radio.

OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll check the fuses tonight, and Steve, I'll give you a call in the morning if it continues. Can I get your number just in case?

OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay its not that fuse, its fully intact. Steve, i guess I'll be giving you a call in the morning.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of simple ideas, but you may need REAL help such as Tom Sessions, Chuck Tator, Dan Cragin. I'm at ... ... ....

Edit: number up 14 hrs....now down...e-mail your to me if you like and I'll call you tomorrow...with 4-5 easy ideas worth checking.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

funkykilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve,
Was just about to call you, but saw you pulled the number down, understandable.
Give me a call when you're free. My number is 415-746-0245. Thanks! Sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

Ginja

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My SRT alarm would on occasion go off after I'd been fiddling with the car or when I had washed it. After some research I found the hood alarm switch was seated to deep. I had to take it out, reset the depth to the top and then shut the hood gently on it and its been fine since. I also stuck some silicon grease in it to stop it connecting if it got wet. It may not be of any help at all but could be worth checking?

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been impressed with the Viper alarm. I have an 08 ACR. I rarely set it because it would go off for no reason. The few times I take it to work I don't have to worry about it as it is under camera coverage and the officers watch it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets