New Carbon Fiber wrapped ROLL HOOPS

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can't believe I didn;t make these before, they are just looking totally cool.

These are the factory roll hoops which in all their faux leather grain rubber glory to not look the greatest especially once they get a little dirt in the grain,

Here is a preliminary pic, these are still t get another coat or 2 of UV stabilized resin, then a wet sand and another coat of crystal clear clear coat

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice indeed
I really can't believe I didn;t make these before, they are just looking totally cool.

These are the factory roll hoops which in all their faux leather grain rubber glory to not look the greatest especially once they get a little dirt in the grain,

Here is a preliminary pic, these are still t get another coat or 2 of UV stabilized resin, then a wet sand and another coat of crystal clear clear coat

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you say "radiator hose"....Sorry but its true. They look so much like a piece of radiator hose that I had to laugh. I think the carbon look here isn't working.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they will look much better if the carbon sleeve was 2x2 twil and vacumed wraped, great idea just needs better materials.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they will look much better if the carbon sleeve was 2x2 twil and vacumed wraped, great idea just needs better materials.

Actually it is a 2x2 twill, it is a complete tube sleeve of carbon fiber so there is no seam (probably the best stuff one can buy actually, aerospace stuff, it just doesn't have that much detail in the pic

these pictures are prior to a couple of last coats of resin, then they get rough sanded then wet sanded, then clear coated, if you vacuum bag an overlay a lot of the time you get a bag wrinkle of resin showing up

I will take few pics of the final product tomorrow and you will see a big difference

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I know, vacuum is used for dry carbon to minimize the amount of resin and make parts super light,, I seriously doubt that anyone would like the outcome around this place. I am pretty sure that after clear is sanded and polished, they will look very good.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty obvioius this is not for everyone but given the effort this takes to make it happen, surely you could be more polite about expressing your opinion? Even if this does not please you aesthetically, you should appreciate the hard work that went into it.
Can you say "radiator hose"....Sorry but its true. They look so much like a piece of radiator hose that I had to laugh. I think the carbon look here isn't working.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the pic it looks like Carbon Fiber Braided Sleeves not 2x2 twill sleeve but is only one pic post some more pics. I still think is a great projet.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No insult intended and I am aware of the amount of work he does and the quality of the products he produces. Not trying to come across as a bit less than polite, just stating my first impression. Steve responded and it looks as though he has taken this information and will use it productively to produce a more aesthetically pleasing piece. This is the reason after all, why he posted his piece on the forum....for feedback, both good and bad. As for his comments, I agree it will look better with more elbow grease and I cant wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No insult intended and I am aware of the amount of work he does and the quality of the products he produces. Not trying to come across as a bit less than polite, just stating my first impression. Steve responded and it looks as though he has taken this information and will use it productively to produce a more aesthetically pleasing piece. This is the reason after all, why he posted his piece on the forum....for feedback, both good and bad. As for his comments, I agree it will look better with more elbow grease and I cant wait to see the finished product.
Viper aftermarket is a morgue, let us not turn the temp even lower... If you build stuff yourself, you get a different perspective on these things. Too many armchair warriors, I got out of corvette circles for this reason. Kinda late to backtrack from your original little outburst but it is all good.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a few more pics after a wet sand

photo_1_17.JPG

photo_4_11.JPG

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks better but still not for me. As for PeterMj, it sounds like you are the one getting less than polite with your comments directed a me and not the topic at hand. Again it wasn't intended as an insult, but if it makes you feel better keep them coming.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks better but still not for me. As for PeterMj, it sounds like you are the one getting less than polite with your comments directed a me and not the topic at hand. Again it wasn't intended as an insult, but if it makes you feel better keep them coming.
I think you should spend your time building something yourself instead of trying to turn the tables around. I do give you big credit for pointing the finger at me, hypocritical but very creative nevertheless.:2tu: Feel free to post pics of your work anytime and enjoy the constructive criticism from others.

V

VCA Forum Staff

Please keepo the comments to the thread topic at hand.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEre is a comparo pic or 2, personally , I think the carbon will make the car look far more like the exotic it is, versus the rubber covered look

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks very good, beats the OEM vinyl that does not age very well.
HEre is a comparo pic or 2, personally , I think the carbon will make the car look far more like the exotic it is, versus the rubber covered look