New Gen 2 front splitter available

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always really liked the look of a friend of mines Gen 2 race car front splitter, so I recently arranged for me to make a street version of this race splitter.

Here are a few pics made in a few colors to give a good idea what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

Easy to install - YES

Easy to fix if you damage it - YES

Functional - YES

Let me know if you like it, I will be making them in both fiberglass and in carbon fiber

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job Steve! I wonder how that would look with the splitter extension painted black and the rest of it race yellow?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks Awesome! What kind of Price Are We Looking At? Thanks!

I'm thinking $795 for fiberglass, (I will gell coat as close as possible to your color) and $1095 for Carbon fiber

These will bolt on using existing holes, so no damage to your stock front bumper!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if your making that, why not offer the replica central light GTSR boxes too with the plexiglass covers ;) I know one would have to remove part of the inner bumper support bar, but it would look awesome. The autoform GTSR nose is OK but I would love something more true to the original GTSR Cars.

Great work :) Are these parts being made in the USA or outsourced from elsewhere?

One other question, I notice the front nose has the recesses moulded into it for the clips that hold down the lightweight hood, so wanted to check is this nose for a road going GTS or is this for the wider GTSR Track car?

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some interesting comments at Viper Alley discussing this. Might be worth reading both threads.

Redirected for moderator review.

I know they are pretty rough on the guy over there. I don't know the history and honestly don't care. All I do know is he seems to try and bring more things to the market than anyone else. Is it a perfect formula, no. But the new splitter looks cool and I hope it is a functional as it looks, I dont like aftermarket anything on the outside of my car, but this is one piece I could actually see me buying.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some interesting comments at Viper Alley discussing this. Might be worth reading both threads.

Dave here is my reply to you OUTBURST on the Alley, and yes they pulled the thread since it was my thread and you, for some reason went awol in it.

Dave,

I sold 2 splitters to Gen 2 guys who did not want to trim their fascias on the bottom as was required. I have also sold numerous splitters to Gen 1 and Gen 2 guys who say they are the best thing they had and increased their cars stability at speed (just like a splitter is supposed to)

This is a different product than what you are trying to make, and as you know, since I emailed you a bunch of my schematics and concepts that I sketched up to you, that I have researched gen 2 splitters quite a bit. I am the one who told you it has to be frame supported and cable supported, not bumper supported.

I did look into Tegris, 2 years ago and recently, it is a fiberglass type cloth impregnated with a poly plastic that is resistant to bonding. Tegris costs $800 to $1000 a sheet (so I was quoted by Chris at Tegris), and while it is great for Nascar splitters that are supported in numerous places when used as a single sheet, it is not a stiff product unless it is made in numerous bonded layers, like how the Ferarri splitters are made. They are made of 3 layers of Tegris with cavities cut out of sections filled with structural foam and then they are bonded together at high temperature. this equates to cost,

"using CNC-machined pockets in a sheet of Tegris which is inlayed with high density foam and covered with a cap layer of Tegris that is then heat formed back into one piece, achieving a high level of rigidity."

Ferarri splitter

multiple rod/cable attach points Nascar

picture-036.jpg

Tegris is great stuff, bullet proof in fact, and has a definite function in the race world but in order to make it stiff like a splitter needs to be, it either needs to be structurally worked as in the Ferarri piece or it needs to be supported in numerous spots like the Nascar splitters are with 5 rods across the front and with 8 attachment points across the back.

I applaud you in your efforts to make a splitter for the masses and I am not making a splitter for Gen 2's as it requires the owner to cut their fascia and I already went down that track and found that when people are actually at the point of cutting holes that they do not want to do it.

Make your product and good luck, and I will make mine!

Last edited:

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, the two proposed products seem different enough in both appearance and mounting method that I don't see what the beef is. For me, I like the idea of not having to cut or drill to install.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frankly, the two proposed products seem different enough in both appearance and mounting method that I don't see what the beef is. For me, I like the idea of not having to cut or drill to install.

You are right Blacksnake, my experience to date is that some people will cut their cars and some won't,

Here are some pics I sent to Dave Jan 20, 2012 when I was working on a Gen 2 adjustable splitter that would bolt to the frame and have cables for adjustment, I am glad he is running ahead with his splitter and if my drawings and discussions with him helped him in any way, then that is good.

These concepts would have required at least 4 holes to be cut into the bottom of the front bumper, but the design would have prevented the front bumper from being destroyed of the splitter hit an object.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would I use any part or concept from your failed attempt at designing that splitter? My design will use none of those concepts of yours as proven by previously published pictures of mine, and your continued false claims about me and what I am doing with mine should be removed from this site as they are supporting your attempted slander and themselves are therefore libel.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

if your design is different then good for you, I do not care.

The pictures above were emailed to you on jan 30, 2012 as you well know and this one was sent to you on the 31st

Go ahead with any design you want Dave, I iterate again, I do not care.

As for false claims, me stating what I emailed to you is not a false claim. How about you stick to your product on your thread and I will stick to mine.

Thanks

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve...I also don't understand your need to post these pictures of your failed GEN II splitter project. You sent me these pictures a while back trying to sell me one, as usual it hasn't come to fruition. It has zero bearing on the project that Dave has undertook to create a GEN II splitter for those of us that want quality products for our vipers. Good luck with your splitter project...I'm sure you'll accept a number of the members funds immediately and then deliver sometime in the next decade. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

There is a difference between failed and shelved or abandoned, I decided not to proceed with that design because there are numerous Gen 2 owners that do not want to cut their front bumper, including yourself. I posted the pictures in response to what was posted to me, not before and like I said, I do not care what anybody else is doing.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK now im confused? Exactly what bit are you thinking of making? I thought the pics you first put up were for a whole nose with a moulded splitter incorporated (like the Autoform one?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fatboy,Sorry everything got off track there, these are being made here in California, they are a lower bumper add on , you can see in the pics of the race car it is attached with dezues fasteners so they can remove the whole thing in a second or 2 for loading and unloading onto a trailer. While I can easily make these attach the same way if one wants I am planning on the street version attaching with bolts to the inner wheel well opening just ahead of the front tire, If you are interested in a gen 2 bumper with this bottom half and precautions style headlights a d lenses, we can discuss making on of those, it is a look I always loved and I tried to make my first Gts look like a lemans replica as well so I know where you are coming from on that, feel free to pm me or call or email and we can try to make something for you

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the weight difference between the CF and the FG? Looks really good!!!

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both wil be made to be relatively light weight. The cf will allow the user to have their splitter part look carbon fiber and just paint the top body color

Goatman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any data on how much force will be placed on these at any speed? 50mph vs 150mph? Would be good knowledge for someone thinking of tracking with it. Or a spirited run every now and then?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any data on how much force will be placed on these at any speed? 50mph vs 150mph? Would be good knowledge for someone thinking of tracking with it. Or a spirited run every now and then?

The splitter sticks out approx the same as an ACR splitter does, 3" so in theory the downforce that will be created for the front end should be the same as on an ACR with the track extension in.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you need a rear wing to equalize the downforce?

A front splitter gives you down force throughout the undercarriage (dependent on the rake you have your car at) if no rake, (which vipers do not have no rake) then you would have more front downforce, with a little bit of rake (rear higher than front , undercarriage wise) then the vacuum that is created by the air going underneath the car will keep the rear of the car down. The Gen 2 with its lip on the bottom of the fascia creates a lot of lift at the front at speed (if you ever look at a photo of a Gen2 going 150mph you will see the front up in the air higher than stock ride height) and the rear "spoiler" on the rear decklid of the Gen 2 adds downforce at the rear. I think this front splitter will help to balance the car out a fair bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave