New Gen 3 Viper Owner with Bad Engine at 18K Quick questions Please help. Thanks

shotjock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I never rodded this car, only put 1k miles on it, (bought 17k miles) and I guess 2 of the sleves moved, 2 of the pistons are bent and the crank is 14/1000 off so the recomendation is to get a new (used) motor. So questions:

1. Been shopping around for used motor, found 3 by major companies, but if anyone has a line on 1, please let me know.
2. What parts do I want to save and try to sell off of my motor and aprox how much would they be worth... ie. how much can I recoup by selling these to help ease the burdeon?
3. With the Motor out and disasseled, are there any mods I should try while getting the new motor put in that would make the car more valuable than the cost (Help recoup my losses when I sell)

ANy suggestions are greatly appreciated guys and I always like to get a couple of different opinions! THANKS GUYS!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some of our site supporting vendors. I'm sure one of them can point you in the right direction:)

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well which ever way you look mat it you will spend some good cash, I have seen complete 08 drop in motors with all wiring and connectors with low miles for 6 to 8 grand.Do a search Marc

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So is this the same Viper from your first post back in March?

"Gen 3 recalls - Lemon Law - Harmonic Balancer - Overheating

Hello!

I just secured a 2004 and the only thing in the carfax is that it was a buy back because of overheating problems. It was shipped back to the original Factory and fixed and then re-titled at 2000 miles. I have seen some others like this so must ne somewhat a common problem.

Anything I should be worried about?

Thanks!
Frank"

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no suggestions.......but that really *****, good luck.
And why 6-8 grand for a gen 4 motor doesnt sound to bad of a price

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My first question, is how in the hell...? what happened to it? I would assume hydraulic lock somehow?

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well which ever way you look mat it you will spend some good cash, I have seen complete 08 drop in motors with all wiring and connectors with low miles for 6 to 8 grand.Do a search Marc

Wow, I was thinking that the cost of a replacement motor would be over 15k. It's good to know that there are motors out there around this price range.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not have a good machine shop resleeve and get a new pistons and crank, am I missing something?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You didn't buy this from a guy in Hawaii did you? J/K hope you get it fixed bud, there some good vendors here that can help.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way a gen4 engine with everything installed for 6-8K..Thats gotta be the someone who knows someone..

Bet it would be around 20K for a used gen4 engine installed..

Even my 1991 nsx engine cost me 8K..

-engine 3500
-shipping 500
-install 3800 (all the lil things add up fast when the engine arrives without air iontake pullies ect)

No way in hell I belieave a gen4 engine can be bought and installed with all wireing ect. for 6-8K unless your in the know so to speak....For 6-8K Id do it..But last I checked that as like a 30K engine and even used bre block gen2 engines are over 5k and they are 15 years old and only 450 HP

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just looked on "fleebay"...

Gen 1...$5900
Gen 2...$6800 and $7500
Gen 3...$8000 $7900 and $8250
Gen 4... $14500

* This does not include shipping and install...

Please tell me where you found a Gen 4 INSTALLED for $6-8K.

I will have a car on the way there within 48 hrs....:eater:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is important is getting your used motor from a very credible source, that can inspect the motor ( i.e. leakdown, valvetrain) and can vouch for miles on it. A real good viper shop is likely your best bet especially if your having the motor installed.

You could always build up your current motor real good but the costs more than double but then you have something real good.

where are you located?
Try calling Todd @ A&C Performance in Murrieta, CA. He likely be able to help out.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't you rebore, resleve and stroke out the motor with a new crank, pistons, etc. to fix the issues you just mentioned. Who is telling you you just need a new motor? Sounds like you have the old one out so you are already 1/2 way there on the install costs to put it back in. Send it out and have it stroked and built. Then you know what you have, not roll the dice on someone elses used motor. Just my thought!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I must concur with the above... there is no way you will find a 2008-2010 engine for 6-8K unless its a major mistake. Even severely damaged ones go for that price range. The 08+ engines have a selling point of 14-16K, and that is usually not including a computer. Also, installation of that engine into a Gen-3 will EASILY run you 10K. You have to re-wire a LOT, add the Gateway module, add the new FBW gas pedal, etc... not plug and play by any means, and thousands of dollars in parts & connectors alone.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not have a good machine shop resleeve and get a new pistons and crank, am I missing something?

Seem the best way. You still have the original matching numbers motor and will cost you less in the end.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That engine SCREAMS can-o-worms. Anytime you get a prototype engine, you end up with a disaster unless it is 100% complete. I would put money on it, that no manifolds will fit it, no computers will control it, and it is riddled with oddities that will ultimately render it useless.

yea you could be right there, were the gen4 engine blocks still made over here in the UK like the gen3's ?

OP
OP
S

shotjock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow thank you for the ideas guys. That gen 3 that I posted about last year is a different car... the seller renigged on that one.

It is an 04. i did contact Dodge ad asked for some goodwill but they would not do anything. I am honestly tempted to contact Chevy as I have a 97 Vette with 130k on it and never had a problem and see if they would like to do a human interest piece on a dodge that needs a new motor at 18k.

So the mechanic thought that it would much cheaper to get a new engine and throw that in rather than rebuilding what I have... The 2 sleves, 2 cylanders, and a crank 14/1000 off but if someone has a recomendation on an engine builder that can do this kind of work I will get prices. The mechanic said there are usually issues with resleeving block.

If I could find things I could do to the engine that would help give me a positive ROI to help soften the blow that would be cool too,

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The mechanic said there are usually issues with resleeving block.

Even if that was the case, I see blocks on fleebay all the time for less then 1000 bucks :dunno: I don't know I might be missing something, this car is a simple pushrod motor right, so why can't a machine shop rebuild it just like a standard 350 chevy :confused::dunno: I just would like to know for my own knowledge...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you need it repaired, let me know and I will see what I can do. It may be possible to mix your repair in with some extra performance work.

OP
OP
S

shotjock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I was told that generally there are a lot of bad luck stories out there on resleeving a block, but even if we did that, it would recomended that I do all of them and that the labor in building the block back up would be so cost prohibitive that it would be better just getting a long block and dropping it in. Realistically I need 2 sleeves done, 2 new cylinders, and to machine the crank but I think its all about the labor so if you guys have some other insight or machine shops you recomend, I would love to hear!

I will also keep ya updated on the route taken and how it worked out if it ever happenes to you guys God forbid!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

I was told that generally there are a lot of bad luck stories out there on resleeving a block, but even if we did that, it would recomended that I do all of them and that the labor in building the block back up would be so cost prohibitive that it would be better just getting a long block and dropping it in. Realistically I need 2 sleeves done, 2 new cylinders, and to machine the crank but I think its all about the labor so if you guys have some other insight or machine shops you recomend, I would love to hear!

I will also keep ya updated on the route taken and how it worked out if it ever happenes to you guys God forbid!

If you get in contact with me, I will see what we can do. We re-sleeve blocks occasionally, and have not had a problem. In fact, I have 2 blocks going in sometime over the next couple weeks.

I don't know what you have been told or who you have been talking to, but we deal with building and repairing these engines and cars on a daily basis on all levels. If you are just looking for something simple to be done, it may not be as bad as you would think, and you may be able to absorb some of the cost in better parts.

Generally, yes, it is difficult to compete with the costs of a full rebuild vs. just replacing the engine, especially when sleeves and cranks are involved. However, if you drop in another stock engine, you also are dropping in potentially the same problem you started with. Where on the other hand, you can rebuild the engine, and likely absorb some of the upgrade costs, to make sure you dont have a repeat situation.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get in contact with Dan. Guaranteed he can tell you more about your engine than the guy looking at it for you.

Sometimes I almost with I had a problem with my engine, that would give me the push to just go for a 600rwhp NA monster.

As it is, it kills me to think of tearing down a functional engine.

Reaction score
Generally, yes, it is difficult to compete with the costs of a full rebuild vs. just replacing the engine, especially when sleeves and cranks are involved. However, if you drop in another stock engine, you also are dropping in potentially the same problem you started with. Where on the other hand, you can rebuild the engine, and likely absorb some of the upgrade costs, to make sure you dont have a repeat situation.

Hi Dan,

The engine is at my facility and the costs involved to perform the repairs exceeded the cost to locate another drop-in or rebuild candidate. The motor appears to have prior repairs and yes it was hydro-locked as well as a laundry list of other inadequacies.

I'm sure you can appreciate there is a budget involved here as well.

Hope your doing well and thanks for all your help!

Regards,
Doug

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan and Doug are both the 'man'. You can't go wrong with either.

If you buy a used engine have it torn down, speced out, maybe install a good set of forged pistons and make sure it's going to stay together.

Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth