New guy with some questions

maxpower29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great site guys, looks like lots of good info. I'm new here from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Long story short for me is I have many hobbies and usually join a solid forum to learn more about them (Toyota Tacoma, Cam am ATV, Hockey, etc). Growing up I was in love with cars. I always dreamed of owning expensive cars but while growing up in a low income family it just seemed like a dream. Now at the age 28 I was just search the Internet last month and came across my favourite childhood car, a 2nd Gen Viper GTS. I thought to myself "imagine one day if I could afford one....". Then it hit me, I'm 28, no kids, house hold income of 100-150k, own rental property, and have saved a ton of money over the years. I look at the asking price and it says 34k. "***, I can afford a VIPER? ME?"
For the next month up until today I have been searching, learning more, and getting a good idea on market prices. Now for some questions
1. Where is the best place NA to look for one?
2. Why are prices so erratic? Same car (looks identical miles/condition) can be listed anywhere from 30-50k Canadian
3. If your keeping the engine stock, I have to assume the fact that 2000s have no forged pistons shouldn't be an issue. Is this true?
4 . Other then the obvious things, what sort of stuff should I look for when looking over a used viper
5. There are few to no Vipers for sale when I'm from and will likely have to travel to get one. Should I ship it, tow it with my truck on a trailer home, or do you suggest just driving it?
-
Any help would be great. Thanks

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. My advice to you would be to search, search, and search some more. Take a week to think about exactly what you want, imagine every detail in your minds eye. When you can rotisserie the car in your mind and start to get excited about what you see, with laser focus, begin your hunt. Be patient. The right car will materialize, and when it does, be resolute. You will find her, and when you do.....don't ever let her go.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Free2Go is right. I know it's cliche but when you see the car that's right for you, you won't be able to get it out of your mind. It will just stick with you. We shopped for 2 years and finally found the one. When we finally pulled the trigger, it happened so fast and got what we thought was an incredible deal. It was just so exciting.

NMviperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free2go is absolutely correct, it took me 6 months to find the "one". There was one for sale here in town and I test drive it, was of course ecstatic about the performance, but it wasn't black... If you are willing to pay 30k-50k for a car.... Make sure its exactly what you want and how you want it. I ended up driving mine back 20 hours. I put 2k miles on it and got to know it well... That's my recommendation, drive it! Grab a mechanical inclined buddy and have the road trip of a lifetime!!!

OP
OP
M

maxpower29

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been 4 years but you guys were right lol I finally found one close to me and a good price. 1998 rt-10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth