new leak now

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the car out of garage yesterday. It had not been moved since we got back from VOI (2 weeks). I noticed this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Does this "pattern" look familiar to anyone?
It is right under the front cross member area.
Possibly power steering fluid, steering rack, etc.?
I can't see anything from up top and do plan to get underneath to check it out.
I just wanted somewhere to start.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chip, which direction was the car in when it dropped that pattern? Not saying that'll help us figure it out but its it cross car or lengthwise?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like you are going to have to get under it and take a good look. Good luck, i hope its something simple.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does the fluid taste like ? :smirk:

Could be various sources. In the last couple of years I fixed a high pressure power steering line that was leaking at the fitting at the pump. A year after that I had the power steering fluid tank leak at its fitting to the pump.The fluid traveled down and dripped off the AC lines around the center front. Rubber o-rings plus lots of heat, age, vibration = leaks.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything tastes of chicken.....

Was going to say timing chain cover.... Do you have a oil catch can????? Maybe full..

Baz

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so you have a leak but don't actually want to look underneath? You have stains from an older problem but never wanted to clean up that mess either. OK................ What I can say is that your shoes are nice and stain free.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chip, which direction was the car in when it dropped that pattern? Not saying that'll help us figure it out but its it cross car or lengthwise?
Shoe is pointing forward. Same direction car was sitting

Time for a Gen V ....

Oh yeah! Can't go that route yet.

What does the fluid taste like ? :smirk:

Could be various sources. In the last couple of years I fixed a high pressure power steering line that was leaking at the fitting at the pump. A year after that I had the power steering fluid tank leak at its fitting to the pump.The fluid traveled down and dripped off the AC lines around the center front. Rubber o-rings plus lots of heat, age, vibration = leaks.

Kinda what I was thinking

Everything tastes of chicken.....

Was going to say timing chain cover.... Do you have a oil catch can????? Maybe full..

Baz

No catch can.

Ok so you have a leak but don't actually want to look underneath? You have stains from an older problem but never wanted to clean up that mess either. OK................ What I can say is that your shoes are nice and stain free.

Yes, I'm going to look underneath, just don't have time right now, and didn't see anything obvious from up top looking down. The old spots won't come up without extra cleaning....no time for that either. The shoes are not "stain-free" anymore after brake job I did yesterday, but thanks for noticing. I put my foot in there as a size reference for stain. Thanks all for replies..

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on you have to admit, you put it out on a platter......just had to have some fun. Hope you get your issue sorted.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just find it funny you don't have time to stick your head under the car but you have time to post a photo and comment on it. Dude come one look under the car first.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just find it funny you don't have time to stick your head under the car but you have time to post a photo and comment on it. Dude come one look under the car first.

I'm going to. i Just haven't had time yet and was looking for ideas of what to look at/consider before I did. Some have been mentioned: steering rack, hoses, etc.

He would have gotten his size 9.5 hi top Chuck Taylor's dirty ;)

I got 'em plenty dirty later that day :D. , so now I'm gonna have to spend time washing them.....again! priorities, priorities :D

I was more concerned with getting my hands dirty and messing up my hair :nono: :bonker: :slap:

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I finally had a chance to get car up in the air and get underneath it. I thought for sure I'd be able see something obvious like residue or something on the hoses or steering rack....I didn't :mad: .Only area that had any build up/residue was around base of dipstick (pic is sideways) and around the oil pan "screw":D right below dipstick base. A little bit in front of motor (timing chain cover gasket was replaced last year by 1TONY1) and some on top of radiator hose under Roe snout bracket (assume from vent in snout). Cleaned areas and took the car out for a 30 min ride and put cardboard underneath it to see if anything else shows up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't tell from your pic. It looks like I see fluid coming from the oil lines above the oil filter?

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. I should've noted that those "stains" have been there as long as I can remember. They won't wipe off. Good eye's though :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming the top-to-bottom theory, starting at your last point of detective work going back down the engine from there, I'd say your problem is with the blower somehow.

"(assume from vent in snout)"

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a drop under the car now. :2tu:

I'm thinking the leak was from Teresa's (Lisa's "Viper Twin" sister) G35. She parked in the Viper's spot when we were at VOI.
I didn't notice it when we pulled in when we got back from Charlotte. So, the next time I pulled the car out, I saw the leak, assuming it was from the Viper.

All this for nothing. Well, at least Y'ALL got to see my Chuck's. :D :lmao:

Now it's time for some Roe Hi-Flow Cats installation........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molgera