New topic area suggestion: kill stories

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you already considered this one. If not, please do. There was a post a while ago on the old message board in which several members expressed interest, and then Brad, always the voice of reason, gave some cautionary suggestions.

Assuming that the kill story topic area was considered and rejected, I would like to know the reasoning (and find out if the decision is final).

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We discussed this just a little while ago amongst the team and even have a forum ready but turned off just for this. A little reseach led us a different direction, read on.

What stopped us from turning it on was going to look at others sites that had such an area. Quite frankly, they were rude, crude, obnoxious, and seemed to breed on themselves..... attracting many not-so-nice posts. Several stated right on the forum description that the "kill" forum was unmoderated (likely because it was not moderatable) and did not repesent the views of the site management (big red flag).

Another large issue with this particular forum topic is the potential liability. Someone sees a person post that they blew away "such and such" in a "insert car make and model here" in a steet race going 110.... so they do the same thing and wreck their car and hurt somebody....and everyone goes to sueing all they can find. Most realize we are in a very litigus society, and one that want to blame everyone but themselves for a problem or situation.

So for now, we decided maybe not a good idea to have such an area.....

Reaction score
Some KILL SECTIONS are ruder than others and I definitely understand the liability issue. (uh oh, here it comes) BUT, they do make for some interesting reading.

I wish there was a way to get around it. How about (uh oh, here it comes again), a OTHER CARS SECTION that might promote a similar exchange of performance comparisons and dialogue without encouraging an out and out KILL STORIES section and the ugliness that sometimes accompanies it.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
V

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, how about it, Jay et al? It sounds like there is interest here (plus interest expressed by other folks on the old BB). I agree with Albert, kill stories will definitely liven up what is currently a somewhat dead board.

I also agree with BigJim that a disclaimer should cover us for legal liability -- and if not, someone is going to be able to sue us for something else anyway! BTW, if legal liability were really such a serious issue, why is it that every other car site seems to have a kill section (Corvette Forum, Camamro, Camaro Z28, LS1, RX7, [dare I say it] mkiv, etc.)? Are we the only ones who are aware of a risk, or are we just being overly concerned?

As far as the issue that Vipers are really fast and so we would have little to post about, I disagree. Perhaps it's different in Virginia, but here in California there are definitely a lot of fast cars that can hang with or beat a Viper (Porsche TTs, Shelby Cobra 427s, modded Vettes, older muscle cars built for drag racing, dare I say it -- Supras, though I haven't found one who will race yet, etc.).

Finally, with respect to the issue of maturity of those who post, I can't argue that there is a certain amount of puerile behavior exhibited on other kill forums, but that seems to go in inverse proportion to the cost of the car (i.e., I see more of it on RX7 and less of it on Corvette Forum). Yeah, there will be a need for some amount of "adult supervision". If that is deemed to be too burdensome by the current admins, I volunteer to be a moderator. (You can call me in for an interview to determine whether or not you think I'm mature enough to handle it
You must be registered for see images
!!!)

Food for thought.

BTW, my vote is not to let kill stories be interspersed with off topics. First, for those who are interested in it, it will be less convenient to wade through. Second, all the issue raised about liability, maturity, etc., will still exist but will be harder for the admins to monitor. I think we'll have more control if we keep it in an isolated area.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm for it... Just post like "read at your own risk" or "the ideas or opinions expressed in this forum are not those of the VCA or Dodge in any aspect" or something like that.

A kill stories section really is nice and it's nice to know that someone actually used 450 HP, the way the car was meant to be used.

If we don't get a kill stories section.. How about a "Stored in my garage section"..

hehe
Gerald

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave