No "hood speakers"?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: No \"hood speakers\"?

I never really thought about the hood speakers, but now that you brought it up that's what looks so odd about the new Viper. However the Gen I cars did not have the hood speakers and nobody would ever mistake it for a Camaro or S2000.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
I never really thought about the hood speakers, but now that you brought it up that's what looks so odd about the new Viper. However the Gen I cars did not have the hood speakers and nobody would ever mistake it for a Camaro or S2000.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the contrary, the HOOD speakers were the ONLY items on the hood of the Gen I cars.

The hood speakers are the metal mesh grates towards the windshield, very often mistaken for speaker grills by non-Viper novices.

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Code:

Oops, I guess I was thinking they had "smooth hoods" so no speaker grills. I guess it's just the vents over the wheel well, and the air inlet. My bad
dead.gif

Mike - in Denver

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This one cracked me up. I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked, "Why did they put the speakers in the Hood?"

They are missing...and clearly make a difference in style...but I will not miss trying to get that puddle of water out every time I detail my car
smile.gif

Mike McGuire

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike, use a leaf blower to get the water out, it works really good and although the neighbors might think you're weird, it's a small price to pay for clean hood "speakers".
smile.gif
P.S. I also agree the SRT needs the hood grills. Maybe just change their shape to give them a new look? Who knows, maybe they will surprise us in the end.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Craig -- Zaino doesn't clog the holes.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I managed to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:

Mike (cool, another McGuire)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does he shave his head too?

As MES comments, I do have to agree -- the more I look at that shot, the more I miss those pits. I bet it would instantly look like a Viper if you added those... and it would put some much needed curvature into the general hood area... now if they'd fix the intake-duct shape to the good old NACA-duct style, I might even consider not hating it. Maybe.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good points!

It will **** the day one whips my a$$ in a drag race on a street somewhere!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Street racing is illegal. Repeat after me - "I never street race."

after we buy Viper #2 for me (GTS for racing),
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk is cheap Jon. Let's see that race car!!!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or how about using a toothpick to individually clean all the little holes when you accidently get wax on the grilles.

Pain in the butt.

Craig

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
This is a great post, and one that was discussed at CAAP last week. Do you think the hood would look better if the slots were painted black, you know to bring back a similar look? I didn't know how to answer that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, this is what happens when National Officers join the styling committee. I don't necessarily believe in a representative democracy on this type of issue.

I don't think the old style hood speakers should be on the new car. I assume the louvers are there to vent high pressure underhood air - as this is an aerodynamic problem area of the current Gen1&2 hood.

As for hood scoop design, I think they ought to have 2 NACA ducts in parallel (like one per stripe), with a cable to operate them like the old Air Grabber hoods.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is a great post, and one that was discussed at CAAP last week. Do you think the hood would look better if the slots were painted black, you know to bring back a similar look? I didn't know how to answer that?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean, what was talked about was "what if the hood louvers were black, like the hood speakers"? Then we talked about a wild way to change the front clip. Currently it has a thicker, wider opening than the Viper's we have. What if we cut out the cross member, so now you would have one big opening like the Shelby version had, and coming down from the inside angle where the headlight meets the hood (staying on the same angle) you then had two pieces that connect the top of the clip to the bottom? If done right this would look like two huge teeth, and would be very imposing if someone saw this coming in their rear view mirror! Just a thought.

Ant this was no styling committee, but rather play time!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I know I promised to stop ******** about the SRVGXT10Gen3, but it has occurred to me that NOBODY has pointed out that it's missing the infamous Viper Pits, the almost-non-functional hood speakers. How bizarre.

Those would have to be THE single most recognizable feature of a real Viper, or close to it. And now they're gone. Sort of disturbing and weird if you ask me.

Maybe this is why people are struggling to associate it with Camaros, Vettes, S2000's, etc? It lacks the feature that instantly registers as "Viper"? Just a guess.

And now I'll shut up about it.
smile.gif

You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good story/explanation here.... the openings in the hood on the VGX are done so they actually do something! They are integral to the cars aerodynamics. Both thier size and location are critical. Same can be said for the new "hood scoop". Now could they have been made to look like our beloved "Speaker Grills"? Can't answer that one!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
Dean,
How about the pop up air grabber scoop like the '70/71 Road Runners had...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was envisioning something like a drop-floor arrangement. Smoothie hood in the wet, scoops in the dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456