Noob needs some advise.....

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm obviously new to the board, and like many, have come from Z06ownership (2003), and most recently sold my FFR Cobra (350 hp FI 302) to purchase a Viper. That said, I've been looking from Gen II GTS's to Gen III SRT's. I've taken a few Gen II's for test rides, and today took my first Gen III SRT-10 (2004, 18 K miles, totally stock) for a test ride. The current (and original) owner wasn't much help, as he didn't know jack about his own car. I had to point out that he was two quarts low on oil (which we filled before the test drive), where the hood release was, and where the toggle for the pedals was.....he was of no use to me....Why are you selling it, I ask..."It's a chick magnet, and I'm happily married now..." Geesh.....

The test drive gave me an impression of the Gen III's and this begs a few questions for current/past owners.

1) I was surprised how light the clutch was. It was the lightest clutch I've ever felt on a performance vehicle. I didn't feel any slip or other engagement issues, I was just surprised how light it felt. Would you consider this normal?

2. The car felt quite leisurely under @3500 rpms, almost boring. Not trying to be a dick, just honest. It is completely stock, but I guess I was expecting a little more out of 500hp. On a few runs on the open highway, I did get the sense that the motor had great legs and a lot of top end, but driving it aound town was kind of boring.

3. The exhaust was much quieter than I expected, though it is stock. Would high flow cats alone make much difference?

My Cobra was as viceral a car as I've had, and more than the wife cared to drive (manual brakes, clutch, etc., etc), so she's interested in the Viper. I am too, but I'm wondering if a stock or close to stock Gen II would be much different than the SRT-10. All the Gen II's I've driven have been moderately modded. I'm not trying to start a Gen II vs. Gen III debate, as there are already too many of those! Just looking for impressions from other owners.

Any advise/experience you all can lend would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm obviously new to the board, and like many, have come from Z06ownership (2003), and most recently sold my FFR Cobra (350 hp FI 302) to purchase a Viper. That said, I've been looking from Gen II GTS's to Gen III SRT's. I've taken a few Gen II's for test rides, and today took my first Gen III SRT-10 (2004, 18 K miles, totally stock) for a test ride. The current (and original) owner wasn't much help, as he didn't know jack about his own car. I had to point out that he was two quarts low on oil (which we filled before the test drive), where the hood release was, and where the toggle for the pedals was.....he was of no use to me....Why are you selling it, I ask..."It's a chick magnet, and I'm happily married now..." Geesh.....

The test drive gave me an impression of the Gen III's and this begs a few questions for current/past owners.

1) I was surprised how light the clutch was. It was the lightest clutch I've ever felt on a performance vehicle. I didn't feel any slip or other engagement issues, I was just surprised how light it felt. Would you consider this normal?

2. The car felt quite leisurely under @3500 rpms, almost boring. Not trying to be a dick, just honest. It is completely stock, but I guess I was expecting a little more out of 500hp. On a few runs on the open highway, I did get the sense that the motor had great legs and a lot of top end, but driving it aound town was kind of boring.

3. The exhaust was much quieter than I expected, though it is stock. Would high flow cats alone make much difference?

My Cobra was as visceral a car as I've had, and more than the wife cared to drive (manual brakes, clutch, etc., etc), so she's interested in the Viper. I am too, but I'm wondering if a stock or close to stock Gen II would be much different than the SRT-10. All the Gen II's I've driven have been moderately modded. I'm not trying to start a Gen II vs. Gen III debate, as there are already too many of those! Just looking for impressions from other owners.

Thanks,
Pete

Married and still an owner! :bolt: :D

Anyway having started with a stock Gen 2, turned SC'd Gen 2 and now to a Gen 4 I can verify that your impressions are reasonable.

I too found the clutch pressure to be relatively light. You get used to it after the first 100 miles.

The Gen 2 is more "visceral" than the Gen 3 (and Gen 4) although it is less visceral than the Gen 1's ESPECIALLY at lower RPM's (early Gen 2's had a lumpier cam which was also changed). Combine that with stock exhaust (which are virtually silent on the later models) and the viper's power is quite stealthy. With an aftermarket exhaust (remember early and late models are side exhaust), that feeling will change. If you really want a beastly car, you might want to stay with a Gen 1 or Gen 2 (up to '99). Of course a SC will also change everything.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete, take your time to find one with low mileage pristine cond. and not low oil ! Hi flo cats and an exhaust will really make it sound and perform better too. As with any high performance sports cars, there is a ton of stuff you will want to add after buying the car. Look at some of the cars for sale here too under the classifieds. But dont rush into anything.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,
Pete
Reguard to #2
Not trying to pick on your driving skills but many a viper owner have seen the fate of there viper and lives flash with that feeling. Known on the boards as "Viper Bite", It happens in the beginning of ownership and then when you feel all warm and fuzzy about the car years into ownership. You drop the hammer in 2nd......3rd...... or even 4th and begin skating to a new tune. Be careful. The viper has good high end but its the 2-4500 rpm range the car realy pulls.

Exhaust yes high flows help but go high flow and corsa and....well:2tu: Agressive is a non issue

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i've been told my gen 2 clutch is average, which i take as heavy, so a light clutch is a +
:2tu:

no offence, but you did bypass the skip shift :dunno:. can't imagine boring at 3500 rpms as the engine is just entering its power band unless in the wrong gear :dunno:

as has been said, stock exhaust very tame

My Cobra was as viceral a car as I've had, and more than the wife cared to drive (manual brakes, clutch, etc., etc), so she's interested in the Viper.

my 2 cents

:drive:

p.s. pic of your cobra :dunno:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding #2. There is bit of a stutter in the 3500 range with the stock tune. It is really fat there. A simple aftermarket tune wakes it up quite a bit. My car is an animal anywhere in the rpm range and I only have a tune and a bunch of bolt-ons. I put down 482 to the wheels and 510lbs of torque.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I came from a Blown 01 Z06, and at first the Viper was a tad "soft" to me as well.

I put a catback on it, a k&n intake, short throw shifter and it felt great. I think it's just the gears that make it feel so long in the tooth down low. I will put a set of 3.55's in mine as well.

To be honest though I am so glad I bought the car, I love it!

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

Viper 95 Kim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pete; My wife drives our gen III all the time, no big deal,plenty of pull in stock form, just how much do U need, learn to drive it first. I still love my Gen I, old school.

OP
OP
O

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the help. I made the mistake of bidding before I checked it out, a move I will not make again. I've had a lot of success buying cars online, but let my desire get the best of me. Guess I thought the owner of a relatively expensive car would give a **** about it's condition. Not that it was terrible by any means, just a bit neglected in an important area. I may just end up eating his listing fee, and telling him exactly why.

Otherwise, thanks for the advise. I think 2-3 grand in mods might just be enough.....for a while ;)

Pete

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My Cobra was as viceral a car as I've had, and more than the wife cared to drive (manual brakes, clutch, etc., etc), so she's interested in the Viper. I am too, but I'm wondering if a stock or close to stock Gen II would be much different than the SRT-10. All the Gen II's I've driven have been moderately modded. I'm not trying to start a Gen II vs. Gen III debate, as there are already too many of those! Just looking for impressions from other owners.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete,

I would have to say before you think that the car feels sluggish, take the car out for a ride somewhere where you don't have to worry about buying a car that you might wreck testing it. There is a reason so many people get "Snakebit" by these cars. First of all, make sure your tires are warmed up and then "get on" the car. And if you want to feel the real presence of the Viper, take it to a road course. The Viper truly shows it's fangs there.

Now as for the exhaust, simply eliminate the crossover and put in a Gen IV exhaust. That will save you some money, eliminate the heat and give you that better sound. Check with Mark J. on Gen IV exhausts.

And as for the looks, all Vipers were made by God!!

Once you get in one, you will never want anything other than to drive one and then to get another one to add to your stable.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking to the Gen III, which is all I really know, only haven driven a Gen I once, I think there's a lot of misconceptions pushed out there by the press. Remember, it's ment to be a car that can be driven around town as well as on the track. Personally I like the quieter exaust. It doesn't disturb my neighbors and the car gets enough attention without blasting out a massive roar. If you want that, it's easily done with some exaust modification.

Also, I'm sure that "tame" feel you talk about has been the cause of many a Viper crash. Gently stepping on the accelerator and the car responds well, but not "scary". People get a sense of security. Start feeling confident. Decide it stomp on it and then their into a tree. Be careful, snakes are tricky.;)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 99 rt10 and now a 2003 srt10..1/4 miled them both as well as a friends 2002 acr gts...

To me the gen2 FEELS faster than a gen3..

But my 1/4 mile testing of my 99 gen2 with kn filters/roller rockers/smooth tubes revealed 117-119 mph trapp speeds (around 75 passes)

My 1/4 mile testing with my 2003 gen3 with KN filter/roller rockers revealed 119-121 mph trapp speeds ( around 30 passes)

Same location and same driver (me) but on multiple differant days..

My conclusion was that despite the gen2 feeling faster my srt10 was actually a lil faster ( 2 mph through the 1/4 mile faster)

Both driven by me on the same day within 15 minutes of eachother at the same location were my mild bolt on srt10 and friends mild bolt on gts acr...The ACR felt MUCH faster...But I was a few tenths faster and few mph higher in the srt10...As well in heads up raceing between him and I on that night I won all races in the slower feeling SRT10...Later on he did a few more mods and beat me on a roll race or two ( story for a differant time)

What I figured is that despite the gen3 dynoing 440 rwhp on average vrs the gen2's 405 rwhp on average...The gen2 just makes more power down low in the rpm's...While the srt10 makes more power in the higher rpm's...

It's really funny...Because really..besides them both being called Vipers a gts and srt10 are really nonthing alike..

Look differant/handle differantly/brake differantly/differant exhaust routes/ect....ect...

But the main differance is the power delivery..

You step on the gas in the lower rpm's in the gen2 and it feels brutal...But once you get around 5000 rpm's it feels really sliggish like she out of steam and mostly relying on the momentum she had down low to push through these higher rpm's..

You step on the gas in the srt10 at lower rpms and it feels good..But no where near as brutal as a gen2..But from 4500-6000 rpm's the srt10 acellerated hard...Still pinning you back in the seat were the gen2 seemed to die out...

While this is great for 0-150 mph blast or 70-140 mph roll ons ect. Simply because you stay in the 4000-6000 rpm range much longer than you stay in the 2000-4000 rpm range...

For every day driving or simple 0-90 mph blast on an on-ramp or an ocassional show of force...The gen2 is belieave it or not slightly faster....

Ill post a grapgh in a second that shows exactly why a gen2 is faster than a gen3 say till 90 mph..But heres the explanation..

Both starting at 55 mph in third gear..The gen2 simply has a lil more power and will put a 1/2 car to 1 car length lead on the gen3 by 70 mph..From 70 to 90 mph they will both stay just like this with the gen3 1/2 a car to one full car behind the gen2..By 110 mph the gen3 and gen2 will be dead even..By 120 mph the gen3 will be 1 car lenth ahead of the gen2..

Around this time they must both shift to 4th gear at aprox 120 mph...From this point on the gen3 will slowly walk away from the gen2 and be 3 cars ahead at 150 mph...

Thing about it is that to the average person the gen2 being a lil quicker from 0-90 mph is what they would want...They would seldom go past 120 mph where you could see the true benifit of the srt10

Last edited:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque band moves higher up on the tach with each gen.

Clutch effort gets lighter with each gen.

The higher the gen the less visceral.

I hope the Gen5 does not come with a skirt.

You sound like a Gen 1 kind of guy! Unless the little thing about the windows bothers you.

Now realize that the track ability (road course) increases with each gen - each gen (stock for stock) will out perform the previous gen on the track.

Not a bad place to be (between a gen 2 & 3) - you might be interested in the 2007 Viper :dunno:

grimmis66

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Purchased 99 Rt10 Last Month Having Several Superbikes In The Past I Was Quite Aware Of The Potential Power Of This Car, So I Thought. I Drove From New Jersey To Connecticut And Realized Real Quick This Car Could Hurt You Real Bad. When I Pulled In My Driveway My Wife Met Me Wanting To Drive It. Having Owned Several Corvettes , 280zx Turbos Herself. I Declined To Give Her The Keys, Fortunately For Me I Was Using The Sellers Plate So Promised Id Be The Only One Driving.i Did Take Her For A Ride To Show Her What The Car Was Like, When You Throw Third Gear And Your Car Is Sideways Thru Fourth Gear You Dont Have To Say Much. My Wife Has A Lead Foot, The Last Thing I Wanted Her To Do Is Get Behind The Wheel And Stomp On It. I'm Sure These Cars Are Totaled All The Time By Lack Of Experience With This Particular Vehicle. This Car Is Exciting To Drive But Down Right Scarey Fast, Theres Nothing Tame Nor Lack Of Power At Any Rpm Range. If You Disagree With This Statement You Probably Got To Comfortable With The Car And That All The More Reason To Careful. Good Be Safe .

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost wrecked my 99 viper in the first 5 minutes of ownership just leaving a stop sighn...LOL..They are beaste..SRT10 is much more forgiving..But at the same time still more ********* than any other cars on the market (other than the earlier vipers)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Purchased 99 Rt10 Last Month Having Several Superbikes In The Past I Was Quite Aware Of The Potential Power Of This Car, So I Thought. I Drove From New Jersey To Connecticut And Realized Real Quick This Car Could Hurt You Real Bad. When I Pulled In My Driveway My Wife Met Me Wanting To Drive It. Having Owned Several Corvettes , 280zx Turbos Herself. I Declined To Give Her The Keys, Fortunately For Me I Was Using The Sellers Plate So Promised Id Be The Only One Driving.i Did Take Her For A Ride To Show Her What The Car Was Like, When You Throw Third Gear And Your Car Is Sideways Thru Fourth Gear You Dont Have To Say Much. My Wife Has A Lead Foot, The Last Thing I Wanted Her To Do Is Get Behind The Wheel And Stomp On It. I'm Sure These Cars Are Totaled All The Time By Lack Of Experience With This Particular Vehicle. This Car Is Exciting To Drive But Down Right Scarey Fast, Theres Nothing Tame Nor Lack Of Power At Any Rpm Range. If You Disagree With This Statement You Probably Got To Comfortable With The Car And That All The More Reason To Careful. Good Be Safe .

Ok, not to get off the subject here, but you capitalized every word.:dunno:

Sorry I just had to say something, ok so did you already buy a Viper or are you still looking? (olddudesrule)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it this way, in either case you are talking a modified vehicle. Either purchasing a modifed GEN II or modifying a stock GEN III. Even though I own my 06 Coupe and love it dearly, and it is modified slightly (bolt-ons only), I have to say that the GEN II has my heart strings on looks.

For me, I found the GEN III a much easily vehicle to drive and day to day live with. The GEN II is more of a beast, not as much as the GEN I, but that is what there is to love about each GEN.

Finally the stock GEN III, the clutch is a lighter feel, but that is not a bad thing. The exhaust from the factory is muted and I could not wait to put my full Bellanger set-up on to wake up the sound and get rid of the heat. Finally I too felt the car was sluggish below 3000 rpms. I woke my up big time with just a lightweight flywheel and 3.55 gears (should have added the Quaife at that time too). What you don't realize and what can bite you is the GEN III has the highest torque numbers out of the GENs in that range. It is deceiving and definitely keeps you on guard. As with any car, it comes down to what you like. You have been moving from torque monster to torque monster (from your list) so you will win in either case on your selection. My experience for what it is worth) was that the GEN III with some minor mods will address those areas of concern you expressed. I like all the GENs, but the GEN III seems to respond very well to very minor modifications. I feel those mods should have come on the factory car, but they are easily enough to bolt on. Hey at least they built it.

Hope that helps.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with coloviper on this one...

The Gen3's make excellent power..

My 99 rt10 had

roller rockers
kn intake
smooth tubes
no cats
aem tune............car made 445 rwhp sae

2003 srt10 with just roller rocker and kn filter made 459 rwhp sae on the same dyno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth