Now Taking Orders For The Viper Supercharger System...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

We're in production on the Supercharger kits and are now taking orders.

Here's the general information:

AutoRotor Twin Screw positive displacement Supercharger.
5 psi boost from just off idle to redline.
Complete system replaces factory intake manifold, injectors and throttle bodies.
Approximate 5 hour installation time by reasonably qualified mechanic.
Includes complete installation instructions.
For 1996 to 2002 GTS's and 1997 to 2002 RT/10's with standard bolt ons (tubes, filters, headers, cats, cat-back, rockers) and light cam or head work.
135 HP & Torque gain at the peak with greater gains under the curve.
1 year warranty on all parts included in the kit.
The system price will be from $6,495 to $6,895.
There are several more details, but that's not the purpose of this post at this time.

What we're doing now is establishing an order list so that the person who's 8th on the list gets the opportunity to purchase the 8th system available. That person will not be obligated to make the purchase, but they will have the opportunity.

All we need for now is an e-mail stating that you'd like to get on the list to place an order for the system, your contact information (full name, address, phone #), information about your car (year and engine performance modifications) and what finish Supercharger you'd like (polished or black anodized). No deposit required at this time.
Names will go on the list in order of the time / date their e-mail is received. <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">Email Link Here</A>

Here's a picture of the working prototype. The production kit only shares the same Supercharger and drive extension.

You must be registered for see images

Thanks,
Sean

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, why can't we(the Gen I boys) have one too? What is necessary to get this awesome piece on my 96 R/T? Come on dude, help a brother out.
biggrin.gif

Mike

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I too am driving a Gen I, I cannot get on this list. I am wondering what the production rate is, how many units per month??? When will the Gen I test and tune be complete? Are the performance numbers and the price the same?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean, just a thought, but what about powder coating the system the same color as the engine? That would look COOL! My $.02

Mike

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen 1 setup has not been tried yet, but is on the schedule. The alternator pulley is going to be real close to where our SC pulley is. Sometime soon, I plan to test fit the prototype system and on our '94 test car.

Regarding powder coating, that's not a problem on the manifold, but I need to contact Autorotor about coating the blower. It may raise the temperature.

Sean

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean,
Will you be bringing this car to the get together in Daytona tomorrow? I would love to get a first hand look. No matter what, I will be putting my name on the list. Great job on putting this together.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean: I know the Mustang community has been very impressed with the twin-screw blowers, principally those available for the 4v cars through Kenne-Bell. Saleen also used a twin-screw blower for their new 2v S281E. I think a positive displacement blower for the Viper is a great idea, but I would have expected somewhat more power/torque gains than those you apparently verified. I'm trying to figure out where the differences lie. The Kenne-Bell kit at 10 psi on a stock Mustang Cobra produces approximately a 50% power/torque increase (from ~260-270 rwhp to ~400 rwhp). Expressed as a percentage, your kit looks like it will produce around a 25% increase. I guess I really have two questions.

1. Is the sole reason for this the difference in boost (5 psi v. 10 psi), or are there other contributing factors (e.g., compression ratio--I know the Cobra's is 9.85 but don't know what the Viper's is)?

2. Other than the forged crank, the stock Mustang bottom end is not heralded for its durability, yet Kenne-Bell is comfortable with 10 psi and most people seem to do fine as long as the kit is installed and tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. Why did you decide to limit the boost to 5 psi, and do you think an owner could up that 2 or 3 psi via a pulley change without hurting reliability?

Either way, the kit is a great deal for power that's there all the time, although I do wonder about traction--I bet the torque curve on that thing is insane! I'm on your list and look forward to hearing more about the kit.

Ronnie

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sean, that makes sense. The KB Mustang system requires fuel system upgrades, and I wasn't aware that the Viper fuel system maxed out that quickly. You think us cast piston guys might be OK with 8 psi too as long as we don't drive under boost too long at one time?
smile.gif

Ronnie

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be mine ... Oh YES, it will be mine! You are the MAN!! And for the price of a Viper exhaust system.

You keep that price down there in the reasonable realm and I and many others will come. What I mean is we'll come and buy it
smile.gif

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, we'll be at the Daytona get together. I'm putting the prototype kit back on the car tonight. Everything is off right now while we've been working on the production kit.

Regardding the boost and questions Ronnie asked, here's a short answer (I have little time at the moment). We employed the services of EFI systems to help us find the limit of the stock fuel system (pump and line size) when running 91 octane street gas. With those limitations, and taking into account the cast pistons of newer Vipers, 5 lbs of boost was the safe limit. We did run up to 8 psi, but the stock pump and line needs to be upgraded (no easy installation task). We'll have an upgrade to 8 psi a few months later which will include a larger pump, line, injectors and smaller pulley which will bolt to the existing system. That will be safe for the forged piston cars running 93 octane fuel.

Sean

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedGTS:
......You think us cast piston guys might be OK with 8 psi too as long as we don't drive under boost too long at one time?
smile.gif

Ronnie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the fuel octane and RVP. If you're in a state with no more than 91 octane and like running up into the rev limiter, I wouldn't recommend 8 psi with the cast pistons. If you could bump up the octane with an additive and not over-stress the pistons at high rpm by hitting the rev limiter (not you personally, just a general statement
smile.gif
), you'd probably be ok.

Sean

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Sean, today I received my tubes & filters I ordered from you, and all I can say is if the supercharger is as tidy and neat a package as I got, everyone will be pleased! I don't think I've ever seen fairly basic, low-end parts packaged so well--do you place the foam peanuts in there individually or what?
smile.gif

Back to the blower. I'm still not sure I understand why the pistons are an issue at 8 psi on say 93 octane pump gas. Isn't a Viper's compression like 9.1:1? As I said earlier, my only experience with blowers is with Mustangs (which may not be relevant for any number of reasons), but I'm still not getting why their cast pistons do OK with 10 psi and 9.85:1 compression, but the Viper's can't handle 8 psi at 9.1:1--is this due to the shape of the bore or something more technical, or are the Viper's cast pistons just more fragile than Ford's? Thanks!

Ronnie

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The stock compression is 9.6:1. I talked to reps from Mahle (the OE piston manufacturer) at the PRI show and they didn't think the newer cast pistons were suitable for higher boost.

I feel far more comfortable with 8 psi in an earlier forged piston car than with a newer cast piston car. I know of one Viper that had a cast piston failure at 8 psi of boost (the tuner / installer took care of the repair for the customer and everybody was ok about it). That's one too many for us and not worth the risk for the additional hp over the 5 psi kit, in my opinion.

Sean

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, what is the approximate rwhp difference between 5 and 8 psi anyway?

Ronnie

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
If and when you do produce the SC for the gen I, since it does have less compression, will we be able to take 10 PSI of boost(since we do have the forged pistons)? If not, what would our max recommended boost be? Thanks dude,

Mike

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
8 psi will make approximately 60 to 70 more hp than 5 psi.

Regarding the Gen 1 and higher boost, you must think about how much each pound of boost heats the air, which decreases density. 10 psi (without a charge cooler) would not necessarily make more power than 8 psi. Gen 1 testing and setup has not been done. However, we don't plan to offer anything too close to the edge.

Sean

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing I like about your use of the screw blower is that there is no need to wind the engine out to make power. If as it appears overrev is a potential problem on a stock engine (whether due to fuel shutoff or something else), one would be a lot more likely to have a problem with a centrifugal because they make their power so high in the rpm range--installing one usually moves the power peak several hundred rpm higher in my experience, and it gets there so fast as the boost starts to build it's VERY easy to bounce off the rev limiter. These issues can be dealt with of course if cost is no object, but for a moderate power/low cost setup I think you made a great choice.

Ronnie

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Not at this time.
Please understand my reasoning.
It's been a lot of work and I'm not comfortable posting detailed photos of how we did it. It's one of those parts that the more times we redesigned it, the better / simpler the design became.
A lot more people than just VCA member are looking at this.
I've had people take my ideas and products before and I've learned to be more cautious.
We're applying for a patent on this one.

Sean

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean Roe:

We're applying for a patent on this one.

Sean
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea. You've certainly worked hard and definitely deserve the opportunity to protect your work.

I too, look forward to any development on a Gen1 unit.

-Matt

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 07-17-2002 at 05:02 PM</font>

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does that mean the stage I is basically for the cast piston folks? I would assume every forged piston owner would opt for the extra power at the cost of a few extra dollars.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, in fact, stage 1 boost is now going to be more like stage 1.5 in regard to power output. This level will be still be safe for the cast piston cars, while the forged piston cars can utilize the boost from a smaller pulley and fuel system upgrade.

The increase in power is coming improving the intake manifold design.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 07-17-2002 at 05:03 PM</font>

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it seems that the cost is going up slightly, does this mean that the price of your system is going up a little too?

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 07-17-2002 at 05:04 PM</font>

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Sean, what's your forecast for additional rwhp on the "Stage 1.5" kit?

On another trivial note, I installed your smooth tubes over the weekend, and noticed that when installed correctly, your logo is on the bottom of the tubes facing down. Were you not wanting to be flashy, or were mine just a batch that happened to be cut that way (the angle cut is of course the determining factor)?
smile.gif

Ronnie